hey i'm having a problem.

i'm sitting with a paper of sheet music, which has a chord named E-7.
this confuses me since the song is in E-minor, so my question is this: is it an e-major with a 7', or is it an e-minor with a 7' ???

i'm quite confused.
both should sound right but i asume it is e minor
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
It's an E dominant 7th.

Basically a major chord but with a flatted seventh.

EDIT: Is that a -7 or did you just add a dash? If it's -7 then it's
1-m3-5-m7
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Last edited by firebreath07 at Jul 10, 2008,
E-7 is Eminor 7

Minor 7 chord: 1, b3, 5, b7

E minor 7: E, G, B, D

Edit: ^Sorry, it isn't.

E dominant 7 is E7.
E minor 7 is E-7.
E diminished 7 is E°7
E major 7 is E∆7
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jul 10, 2008,
It should just be a regular Em7 (D being the 7th) unless the piece is in harmonic minor then you would have the 7th being Eb.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by shredder.cheese
It should just be a regular Em7 (D being the 7th) unless the piece is in harmonic minor then you would have the 7th being Eb.

He said it was in E minor. If it was harmonic minor it would be a major 7th which is D#.

Edit: To below, why are you bringing secondary dominants into this? It's a simple E minor 7th chord. God, why does everyone have to make this so complicated?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by firebreath07
It's an E dominant 7th.

Basically a major chord but with a flatted seventh.

It would only be an E dominant 7th if there is modulation going on. Is the song modulating after thet E7 to the key of A, if it is then it is a Edom7th but if not then it is an Em7th.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by metal4all
He said it was in E minor. If it was harmonic minor it would be a major 7th which is D#.

That's kinda what I said...if it is E natural minor then it is the D as 7th but if it is harmonic minor then it is the D#/Eb as the 7th. Just making sure that the piece was indeed in natural minor and not harmonic.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
The key and the surrounding chords don't change the fact that "X-7" refers to a minor 7th chord.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by shredder.cheese
That's kinda what I said...if it is E natural minor then it is the D as 7th but if it is harmonic minor then it is the D#/Eb as the 7th. Just making sure that the piece was indeed in natural minor and not harmonic.

For such a smart guy you should know that Eb isn't the 7th of E harmonic minor. Since it's the 7th you use the seventh note from E which is D#. They are enharmonic but completely different.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all

Edit: To below, why are you bringing secondary dominants into this? It's a simple E minor 7th chord. God, why does everyone have to make this so complicated?

I'm bringing in secondary dominants because another poster is trying to claim it is a Dom7th chord and not a minor 7th and it would only be a dom7th if modulation was happening. Kindly read others posts and other quotes before posting please.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by shredder.cheese
I'm bringing in secondary dominants because another poster is trying to claim it is a Dom7th chord and not a minor 7th and it would only be a dom7th if modulation was happening. Kindly read others posts and other quotes before posting please.

I did read it. The TS asked such a simple question. You don't have to bring up things to try to say that someone who happens to be wrong about it could be right. You were completely right but it's just an E minor 7 chord. We don't have to get too deep into theory here.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
For such a smart guy you should know that Eb isn't the 7th of E harmonic minor. Since it's the 7th you use the seventh note from E which is D#. They are enharmonic but completely different.

You are right and I stand corrected on terming it Eb when it should have been D#.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by metal4all

He has a point. But if it's a dominant seventh, don't you use a flatted seventh?
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by metal4all
I did read it. The TS asked such a simple question. You don't have to bring up things to try to say that someone who happens to be wrong about it could be right. You were completely right but it's just an E minor 7 chord. We don't have to get too deep into theory here.

I was rebutting another poster "specifically" and not answering the OP in the rebuttal. This is a forum where exhanges of ideas are supposed to be taking place, and topics discussed. Or am am I mistaken?
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
Quote by cashewchaching
He has a point. But if it's a dominant seventh, don't you use a flatted seventh?

We were talking about harmonic minor which has a natural 7. Dominant 7: 1, 3, 5, b7. The chord the TS is asking about, E-7, is E minor 7: 1, b3, 5, b7.

Quote by shredder.cheese
I was rebutting another poster "specifically" and not answering the OP in the rebuttal. This is a forum where exhanges of ideas are supposed to be taking place, and topics discussed. Or am am I mistaken?

Can't you drop it? I wasn't trying to be mean. I just think it's a little over-the-top to bring in secondary dominants to say that someone who thought -7 meant dominant 7 could be right.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Oh the HARMONIC minor. I didn't catch that part. Thanks.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by metal4all
Can't you drop it? I wasn't trying to be mean. I just think it's a little over-the-top to bring in secondary dominants to say that someone who thought -7 meant dominant 7 could be right.

There was no reason for you to make any comment except that I flubbed up the Eb / D#. The comment about a poster bringing in anything else that you felt inappropriate was your opinion. I posted my rebuttal to firebreath07 as he was editting his comment, which I didn't see until after I posted. If you don't like it that is not my problem. And I will answer and respond as many times as I feel like it as I would assume and expect you would.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
It's just another way of writing Em7, or E minor 7.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Quote by shredder.cheese
There was no reason for you to make any comment except that I flubbed up the Eb / D#. The comment about a poster bringing in anything else that you felt inappropriate was your opinion. I posted my rebuttal to firebreath07 as he was editting his comment, which I didn't see until after I posted. If you don't like it that is not my problem. And I will answer and respond as many times as I feel like it as I would assume and expect you would.

I fucking give up. I used to think you were cool but c'mon dude. I have no problem with you and i'll leave it at that.

TS, if you have a question, feel free to ask.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Originally Posted by metal4all
For such a smart guy you should know that Eb isn't the 7th of E harmonic minor. Since it's the 7th you use the seventh note from E which is D#. They are enharmonic

You were trying not to be mean with a sarcastic comment like, "For such a smart guy"???

If you were going to correct my mistake then all you had to say was I think you have it wrong it is a D# not Eb and then allow me to do the right thing an appologize for the mistake, which I did.

I could really care less if you ever thought I was cool, as I don't know you from adam.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19