Poll: Would it bother you/make you angry?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would it bother you/make you angry?
Yes
20 22%
No
69 78%
Voters: 89.
Page 1 of 2
If your band was signed to a major record label, and you were touring, doing autograph sessions, selling merch, etc. Would you care if people downloaded your music for free?

I myself could say I really wouldn't be too bothered at all, maybe except if they downloaded it before the song was finished. Besides that, I really don't think I'd give a rat's ass if my fans downloaded my music or bought it.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
No, because the majority of a bands income is live shows/merch. As long as my played played a load of live shows and people were still buying my music (Even with people downloading) it wouldn't bother me.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
No, im the bass player, and since i dont write any music, i dont receive any songwriting royalties, i'd make most my money form touring
i say Of
you say A
i say Revolution
and you say jah

In loving memory of that damn game of poker

Private first class of the bass militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Yes, I would.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
It's easy to vote no when you put it in a hypothetical context.
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
I'd be a hypocrite if i cared

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
I wouldn't mind, as long as they like it.
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
I wouldn't be happy with it, but knowing that I'd be getting free advertising and gaining god knows how many fans, I wouldn't pursue it.
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
Quote by Master Bait Her

Well, from the few bands that have released CDs from my area, they share the same view as I do. I'm working on one with my band, and I probably won't care either.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Well, most people who get signed to major labels are the kinds of people that would care about downloading.

Personally I would love to start a band and get signed some day, but I would enjoy the fact that my music is spreading. I'd put up songs to download for free on MySpace and Purevolume, and if we get well known, I'd put tabs for all songs on UG.

Major Labels (supposedly) see everything from a purely financial point of view. They see you and your band as a manufacturer of products that all the mindless sheep/consumers buy. They care about earning money, so when people download for free it pisses them off.
At least that's what I hear about them. It seems as if everyone hates major labels for their corporate attitude...
even if you did care, would it really matter ?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
I would be overjoyed if people downloaded my music. Then it is being listened to, and that is all I really want anyway. Screw making millions of dollers, I want people to connect to my music, and if they do that through downloading, then so be it.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by Master Bait Her

+1. Atm, you'll all be like "Of course we wouldn't care, we want teh free muzikz!!1!!".

But when you're actually in that situation, you could be losing millions of pounds through people downloading, and honestly, who doesn't want a f*ck of a lot of money if its possible they can have it?
Quote by whiteraven119
My new hero. Anyone willing to use lethal martial arts against hxc kids is amazing.

That's me

Quote by jaridv1
my penis has a restraining order against me because i beat it

personally i would give a huge rats ass, but not for the reasons most would think. from my point of view/musical tastes, most of the bands i listen to are, for the most part, underground and not entirely mainstream, making it quite difficult to find their cd's in the stores. so downloading their songs is the only way to get in "contact" with them; preventing downloaded songs would, in a sense limit the availability of the bands music to the public/fans. i would WANT people to download my bands stuff, as it will give them an easier way to enjoy our music, and would in turn give the band more fans for the concerts. its not about the money if your doing what you love, so "true" musicians would care less about the income they are losing from the cd sales, and care more about the new fan they have gained through illegal downloading.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
If 10 kids download my CD and cost me personally £1 each (that's like conservative estimate btw) in lost revenue and all 10 like it and go to a show of mine at some time in their lives for £17 where I earn like £3 off each I just made £30 I wouldn't have made if they hadn't downloaded it.
If you were signed to a major label, you wouldn't receive much money from record sales to begin with (great bands get what, 10 cents a CD?)

It's the smaller bands that are truely affected by downloading
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
I wouldn't mind it but I still don't think people should do it... i stopped doing it once I learned to appreciate how much work can go into 1 CD
Quote by Lostprophets$$$
+1. Atm, you'll all be like "Of course we wouldn't care, we want teh free muzikz!!1!!".

But when you're actually in that situation, you could be losing millions of pounds through people downloading, and honestly, who doesn't want a f*ck of a lot of money if its possible they can have it?

I guess it's hard to control yourself when there's so much money at risk.

I'd try my best not to become a corporate bastard, but I dunno if I'd manage...

You still earn money from gigs, though, if you get big enough.
Quote by TempoTantrum
If you were signed to a major label, you wouldn't receive much money from record sales to begin with (great bands get what, 10 cents a CD?)

It's the smaller bands that are truely affected by downloading

But smaller bands also tend to have more devoted fans, who might actually buy the CD. It's probably because they're a lot closer to you, and see you as a peer, rather than some godly force that churns out beats every now and again.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 10, 2008,
Wouldn't bother me at all, because i would no longer be part of that band!

Just make a website and sell your music off that if you want like http://www.umlive.net/

That said if I would join them if I retained 100% rights to my music and freedom to do what I want along with promise they would never use my music in court case with pirates.
Last edited by ViperScale at Jul 10, 2008,
No, The more people that here the music the more that would see us on tour. We would make good money touring. Album sales don't mean much in the world today. If a band isn't good live now a days, then they won't make it.
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
Bands hardly make any money from record sales anyway, it's mainly from live shows. This way more people would hear my music and go to gigs.

If anything, I'd encourage it.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by freedoms_stain
If 10 kids download my CD and cost me personally £1 each (that's like conservative estimate btw) in lost revenue and all 10 like it and go to a show of mine at some time in their lives for £17 where I earn like £3 off each I just made £30 I wouldn't have made if they hadn't downloaded it.

To be fair, your band isn't going to get 100% of the profits, in fact the majority goes to the label. Whatever meager amount you make must then be divided amongst yourselves.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

No. Record sales would be important, of course, but I know that the label gets most of that money, and not the band.

The band makes the majority of their money on ticket sales, merchandise, endorsements, etc. If I'm not mistaken.

Plus, downloading is a MUCH better way to discover music than buying, IMO. If you say, "Hey, I wonder how good this band is." and then buy their album, and HATE it, you'e just wasted $12-$20 or more, and with the way the economy is at the moment, that money could have gone to something better than a band you didn't even like.

Just my 2 cents, though.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Depends, if over 50% or so of my fans started downloading my music I might be a little pissed. Records aren't really how you make the most money anyways.

Then again that and gas prices are the reason that a few really good bands have to get a deal with wherever they're touring for free food, they have to get money for all that stuff and their gear plus living expenses right?
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by turtlemcdoogle
No, im the bass player, and since i dont write any music, i dont receive any songwriting royalties, i'd make most my money form touring

As long as you write the bassline, you can convince your bandmates to credit you on it. Everyone in the band should get royalties (unless they're a session musician).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Colgate Total
To be fair, your band isn't going to get 100% of the profits, in fact the majority goes to the label. Whatever meager amount you make must then be divided amongst yourselves.
The point is more exposure gets more people to your shows and you earn more money at the shows.

I can name several bands I initially downloaded and later went to shows of, bought records and merch of, none of which I would've done if I hadn't been able to enjoy the music free 1st, because nobody can afford to buy everything.
Quote by Tom_hatton
Yes I'd care. And I never download, so I'm no hypocrite either.

Look at it this way, you're playing to crowds upwards of 5000. At $20 a ticket, that's 100,000 a night. Divide that into five band members, that's $20,000. Multiply that by the average number of shows on each tour, you're looking at anywhere from 400,000-800,00 dollars. Add in the merch, you're making more.

You take the average amount each band makes from CDs which is about 4.50, divide that by members in band, you're going to make about 90 cents. Say the album sells about 300,000 units, you're going to make $270,000.

It really isn't that big of a loss.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

I think it'd bother me a little but it wouldn't anger me too much. At least people like it, even if they don't have the respect(/money) to pay for it.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
As long as the label did the best they could to promote my music I wouldn't care if they were major, indy or whatever.
I say no. Because I download music, so that would be like punishing myself.
Also, like you guys said, it's free advertising. So if a lot of people download a song, and like it, mayber they'll also come to a concert, and that's where the big money is.
"A smart person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it."
- We listen to Metallica at the Palace of Wisdom
Honestly, no.

Take in consideration that nowadays, a LOT of bands that are popular would probably still be unknown without the help of internet.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by brandonmontana
i've thought about this a lot.
how would you know if they did though?

Well, this is purely hypothetical. You'd just know, kinda like Metallica. They had no proof (until they sued), but they knew.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

In the situation I am in now, I would be extremely upset if people downloaded my music- it's very very difficult to expand from where I am now, and it just makes it harder if people are going to steal my music.

If I was with a major label, then I would still mind. It's not the money that's the problem, it's a lack of respect, and it's like, people think that your music isn't worth the money.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Nope, I wouldn't care.

I would be more happy if people were dowloading my music and enjoying it.
nope. i'm more concerned with credit. i think artists deserve that most of all when it comes to their art. just for you to be recognized as the writer of an awesome song or the drummer doing that kickass solo, or that painter who made that kickass portrait.

basically i'm not down with people stealing songs online and then passing them off as their own.

most of a musician's money comes from touring and merch anyway. the 'major label' i'm on would make the money from my CD. so **** them anyway.
#DTWD
Page 1 of 2