Page 1 of 2
Hello UG,

I've been wondering about this. Are physical and sexual attractiveness the same thing? Most of my friends say it's exactly the same. "Sex is physical", one of them eloquently put. I've always thought they were perhaps related, but different things.

What I thought was as follows:
To be sexually attractive, you have to be physically attractive.
However, you can be physically attractive without being sexually attractive.

What do you think?
I think you are correct.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Digitech RP100
Kustom RC30
Jazz III picks

Quote by Jaysifer
well i just got owned *hats off to rocktolive*

Quote by restless_thrash
goodness, rocktolive! that's the most intelligent thing i've heard in the pit since Jackal58 came up with sliced e-cookie!
I totally agree you. There's girls you can find very physically attractive, but not sexually, while your friends are sexually attracted by them. And the opposite happens too.

There's always girls you admit being very beautiful and all, but that don't sexually attract you.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Remember the song

'Lets get physical, physical '

if that doesent mean lets have sex, i dont know what does.
i agree, but it definitely works the other way too
there are girls who are ugly that i find sexually attractive none-the-less
Sex (short for 'sexual intercourse') - physical contact between individuals that involves the genitalia of at least one person.

Sex is physical. To be physically attractive means you are appealing to the eye. To be sexually attractive means that you stimulate others libido through your physical attractiveness.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
I kind of see your point. Theres some girls who are very physically attractive - but you can tell are complete slags. The idea of getting crabs and such makes me feel less sexually attractive to them.
so i suppose it's possible to be physically attractive without being sexuall attractive.
#DTWD
I take back what i posted earlier. Probably physical attractiveness would be related to sexual attractiveness (95+ % of the time). Physical beauty is another question though, because I think a girl can be physically beautiful but not sexually attractive. But any girl i have ever felt physically attracted to I would want to have sex with.
No, I once went out with a girl in high school purely for her sex drive. She wasn't the hottest of them all, but she knew how to work it.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
No, I once went out with a girl in high school purely for her sex drive. She wasn't the hottest of them all, but she knew how to work it.

Yea but she probably wasn't very ugly either. You wouldn't have done it if she was 400 pounds would you? She may not have been the most attractive to you but still within a certain range of attractiveness.
Being sexually attractive takes more than just being physically attractive. You have to exude confidence. Physical attractiveness just means you're nice to look at.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by ViperScale
Yea but she probably wasn't very ugly either. You wouldn't have done it if she was 400 pounds would you? She may not have been the most attractive to you but still without a certain range of attractive enough.

Well, she wasn't ugly at all, but come on. Given the other girls at the time, I was amazed at her.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by kikaykitko
Being sexually attractive takes more than just being physically attractive. You have to exude confidence. Physical attractiveness just means you're nice to look at.

Personality imo would be physical. (not in the touch sense) But still not sexual.
Sexually attractive may mean that you would find a person a suitable sexual partner. Physically attractive could be that someone is in good shape and looks very nice.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Colgate Total
Personality isn't physical?

Yes, you can have a perfect body but if you don't dress, act, and behave a certain way you would be unattractive. You could go without washing hair etc for month and still have the same physical body but not look half as good.

How certain girls just have that "look" and other girls don't. It is still something that is seen (so it is physical) but also comes from personality.
Quote by kikaykitko

Well, if men see a picture of a hot lady (read: UGers fap over a pic of Emma Watson, asking OMG SOURCE PLZ?) they see her as being sexually attractive without ever having met her.

For people who don't get it, I'll explain the background story:
My friends were asking me about the girl I like, and they were very surprised to hear that I don't desperately want to rape her. They were like "Dude, WHAT? You must be, like, the only person that doesn't find her attractive!" I said I do find her attractive, I think she's beautiful, but I don't see her in a sexual way. Nobody understood. They all thought there's only one form of attraction and that's sexual.
I would have assumed the difference is clear and observable.

Or do you all look at every single attractive woman and immediately think about what you'd do to her? (dare i ask...)
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by sashki
Well, if men see a picture of a hot lady (read: UGers fap over a pic of Emma Watson, asking OMG SOURCE PLZ?) they see her as being sexually attractive without ever having met her.

Yea but you can also see personality in a picture, maybe not their every day personality, but how they show themself gives off more then just what they look like.
Quote by meh!

Or do you all look at every single attractive woman and immediately think about what you'd do to her? (dare i ask...)

Considering guys think about sex every 6secs or so yea they probably do. Just it happens all the time so like breathing you don't always pay attention to it. If you see a girl probably most guys first thought is would I have sex with her.
Quote by sashki
For people who don't get it, I'll explain the background story:
My friends were asking me about the girl I like, and they were very surprised to hear that I don't desperately want to rape her. They were like "Dude, WHAT? You must be, like, the only person that doesn't find her attractive!" I said I do find her attractive, I think she's beautiful, but I don't see her in a sexual way. Nobody understood. They all thought there's only one form of attraction and that's sexual.

That's perfectly normal. I've felt the same way with girls before.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by meh!

No, but I mean when you see an attractive woman, your body physically reacts (this feels so awkward to say this) by way of you getting an e-Rection. That represents sexual attraction, right?
But you might see some people who you (in your brain) recognise as being attractive, but don't have the same reaction. Well, you might have some sort of reaction, but not an e-Rection.
Quote by sashki
No, but I mean when you see an attractive woman, your body physically reacts (this feels so awkward to say this) by way of you getting an e-Rection. That represents sexual attraction, right?
But you might see some people who you (in your brain) recognise as being attractive, but don't have the same reaction. Well, you might have some sort of reaction, but not an e-Rection.

I need to have touching (or really dirty thoughts) before I start to spring one. I haven't popped a boner by looking since like freshman year of high school.

Maybe I'm dysfunctional. Erectially. But it's never been like "wow, she's hot." boing.

There's more than one seperate scale of attractiveness. There's the "sex" scale:
1) I'd hit it.
2) If I was drunk
3) Maybe if I was really drunk
4) no, thank you
5) I'd rather stick it in a meat grinder

There's the "girlfriend" scale:
1) I'd wife that up
2) this girl's cool, and attractive
3) this girl's cool but not SUPER attractive, just like you know, she's a cutie
4) little bit annoying/fat/loud/stupid
5) psychotic beyotch
Last edited by pratt121 at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by sashki

I understand what you're saying. I'm agreeing. There's a mark difference between appreciating beauty, and seeing it... and having a sexual reaction.
Quote by meh!
I understand what you're saying. I'm agreeing. There's a mark difference between appreciating beauty, and seeing it... and having a sexual reaction.

There's a mark difference between kinds of beauty: one kind provokes the reaction, the other does not.

I saw a lame movie once, which had an interesting quote:
[italian american accent] "Would you fuck the Mona Lisa? Ya don't fuck with a masterpiece!"
Quote by sashki

Maybe because she looks confident.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by sashki
There's a mark difference between kinds of beauty: one kind provokes the reaction, the other does not.

Well, it's too simplistic tojust say it's the girl. You could be tired, not in the mood, angry, thinking about something else - could be a lot of things.

But yes.
Quote by kikaykitko
I guess the concept of physical and sexual attraction depends on people. But I don't think you necessarily have to be super good-looking to be sexy. Just saying.

I agree. Sexiness can be increased by confident behaviour, but it can also be seen on an image without knowing anything about what the person is like. Even if they're just casually standing around or something, you can tell straight away whether or not you find the person attractive.
Quote by sashki
Hello UG,

I've been wondering about this. Are physical and sexual attractiveness the same thing? Most of my friends say it's exactly the same. "Sex is physical", one of them eloquently put. I've always thought they were perhaps related, but different things.

What I thought was as follows:
To be sexually attractive, you have to be physically attractive.
However, you can be physically attractive without being sexually attractive.

What do you think?

That.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
hm naaah I know some girls that I think are pretty hot, that I don't really find sexually attractive though...its weird :P
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Page 1 of 2