I'm not going to be getting a new guitar immediately...but when i do im curious to whether i should get a mid-range guitar for somewhere between 300-600, or if i should get a high end 1k+ guitar and not have to get another guitar. so this is the question: would a high-end 1k+ guitar last me for the next...well however many years of my life i have left, and still sound as good as or better than the day i bought it?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
depends on how u take care of it mate!
but it shoudent cause u any trouble if its really high end.
i would recoomend a mid level one!
that way u dont mess up the good one as early xD

cheers!
Depends on what model IMO. Also depends on your playing style. If you like to use different tunings then maybe spending it all in 1 place isn't the ideal solution. Because in reality if you're very particular about your sound and tuning then going from Dropped D, to Standard, to 1/2 step down, to an Open G or something like that is not too great of an idea on 1 guitar because your intonation and tuning stability won't be top notch.

So there could be some practical merit in having a couple of "nice" guitars as opposed to one high-end.

No doubt the high-end gear is going to last for the long haul..... and also not to mention that if you invest the money in a top-end guitar then you'll be more likely to get the $$ out of it if you sell or trade up. And also if it needs repairs in the future for whatever reason..... it will make more sense to get it fixed than to trash. Example would be if you've spent $1000 and down the road you need a re-fret or say a $200 repair....... it would make sense to do it. Buy a $500 Epi LP or something and all of the sudden you looking at a $200 or $300 work-bill you'll be p*ssed.

But all-in-all it comes down to capacity for the purchase. If buying a high-end guitar is going to handcuff you on other purchases then you may want to hold off. But there's nothing wrong with dumping the cash into a nice guitar.

It will pay off in the end on all facets.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
well im trying to decide when i should start saving up. im planning on getting a new guitar before i head off to college in 3 years. i dont know how good im going to be by then though...thanks for the advice thought guys.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
In 3 years you'll probably be good enough to want something nice. But then again, college isn't neccesarily an ideal environment for a fragile and sensitive instrument.

You can get some really nice guitars for around 500-600, like epi masterbilts for example. And at this price, it wouldnt sting as much as if some drunk idiot broke a $1000+ git.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by slidething31
In 3 years you'll probably be good enough to want something nice. But then again, college isn't neccesarily an ideal environment for a fragile and sensitive instrument.

You can get some really nice guitars for around 500-600, like epi masterbilts for example. And at this price, it wouldnt sting as much as if some drunk idiot broke a $1000+ git.

or if you do want to get a 1000$+ guitar then just lock your bedroom or clost door every night with your precious giutar in a hardcase haha.
Quote by Natrone
I'm not going to be getting a new guitar immediately...but when i do im curious to whether i should get a mid-range guitar for somewhere between 300-600, or if i should get a high end 1k+ guitar and not have to get another guitar. so this is the question: would a high-end 1k+ guitar last me for the next...well however many years of my life i have left, and still sound as good as or better than the day i bought it?

It's a hard question, but one thing to consider is this: I'd rather have a nice guitar now than a really nice one a year from now. There is one advantage to a decent mid-range instrument: it makes you work to get good tone and volume. I've owned a lower-end luthier built classical guitar (well above the $1000.00 range), and I've played quite a few really nice classical guitars (>$8,000.00) and it is almost too easy in a way. But super nice .

I will say this: the best $500.00 guitars are a lot better than the worst $1200.00 guitars. It's also generally true that the best $1200.00 guitars are better than pretty much any $500.00 guitar. Still, you can find some really nice instruments at a low price if you have good ears- there are always a few really nice ones in any model. So before you buy, play a lot of guitars so you know how to tell the good ones from the bad ones.
If you find the right guitar for you. A $600 guitar could last you the rest of your life. I bought a $1000+ guitar and I still havent played a more expensive one that i like better yet. i doubt i'll be buying another one for a LONG time.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
thanks for the knowledge everyone. the thing is once i do get a nice 1k+ guitar i kinda have my mind set on what it'll be since im such a huge garth brooks fan and i love his signature guitar....of course i would have to actually play one before i bought it but....
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray