So I decided to buy another electric guitar to use at home for practice and such. Stuff like riffage, learning scales, and just overall late-night dicking around. I have decided to go with a minimal setup of hopefully just a guitar and amp. Now I have decided on my guitar as being a Dean Vendetta 1F.

Now I have chosen the Dean because I used to own one of the lower model Vendetta's and it was great. It had an amazing neck, so I figure that the higher models should only be better. Plus its the shape I want.

Now I wan thinking for an amp, a small low wattage combo. Now I was thinking $100-$200 for an amp cause it will never see anything outside of my bedroom more then likely. But I was looking at stuff like the Blackheart, EVJ, Cube 15X, someone had mentioned Line 6 Spider (eh, not too sure about that one), and even the Raven RG20. I just dont know what to get. I know I dont need a lot of tube power. But Im gonna be playing symphonic rock, neoclassical speed metal (type stuff), and metal riffing. So, what should I be looking at?
prolly SS for low volume metal.

microcube takes the win
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
The Blackheart doesn't do metal at low volumes, it's a loud amp. I think the Cube would be your best bet, unless you really don't mind blowing your ears out.
VK Royal 8 is the epitome of no. Valveking + 5w = NO THANKYOU, not without external help.

5 watters will not do metal on their own. And don't expect any meaningful distortion.

Get a big floorboard modeller and a small amp or a small tube amp. Best of both worlds.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Ok, not necessarily metal but a good harder rock tone. Something with good harmonics, a decent amount of overdrive, and good tone. I know small valve amps can be pushed into that territory. I just dont want super bluesy sounds either.

I mean SS arent bad for smaller amps, I know, but if I can get a small tube amp to do what I want then why not?
Because it'll still sound shit doing it. My Valve Junior sounds bad with much of its own gain. I have done about every single mod to it ever. It has a grating, grinding, thin character to the tone that is directly because of what it is. IMO the only thing 5w amps are useful for is practice if it's rather loud and low gain. They're too quiet to hang with a gigging band and they don't have much versatility. Just because it has valves doesn't make it good. Although, fact is the Cubes and Valvetronixes will sound as bad if not worse in the same pricerange. I don't know what to suggest without pushing the budget up a bit. I think you're going to have to expect to get a lot of the tone out of a pedal.
Replacing valves costs money? TBH for what you want a small SS amp sounds right. A Roland Microcube would be brill, but I'm sure other people will give suggestions.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by MrCarrot
Because it'll still sound shit doing it. My Valve Junior sounds bad with much of its own gain. I have done about every single mod to it ever. It has a grating, grinding, thin character to the tone that is directly because of what it is. IMO the only thing 5w amps are useful for is practice if it's rather loud and low gain. They're too quiet to hang with a gigging band and they don't have much versatility. Just because it has valves doesn't make it good. Although, fact is the Cubes and Valvetronixes will sound as bad if not worse in the same pricerange. I don't know what to suggest without pushing the budget up a bit. I think you're going to have to expect to get a lot of the tone out of a pedal.

^While that's true, I reckon a Blackheart and a nice O.D like the Tubescreamer would do.
Ok. MrCarrot, while you have been around just as long as I have, I am going to have to call bull sh*t on your whole argument. Firstly, because you just neglected to read the entirety of my original post. No where in there does it say that I will be gigging at all with this amp. So... Now, second, I have seen more then my fair share of small "bedroom practice" amps that can handle metal tones without the help of pedals. And if not metal, at least a good hard rock sound.

Now my previous attempts at pushing my old VJ into hard rock territory worked just fine after all the mods I did and under its own power. But It had to be cranked rather high. That wont work for my current situation, as I cant blare an amp in my bedroom.

Now Im not looking for a whole lot of versatility, because frankly I know what Im going to be playing. And in all honesty its not like anyone else is really going to be hearing me play either. So...
Ok, so what you've just done amused me.

1) Cookie? I know you're not going to gig with it. I never said you were going to gig with it. That was just a point. You raise them in your favour when making statements on something.
2) I have modded it lots. The more gain you extract from it, the grainier, more grating, and bad it sounds. If you like the sound of unpleasant things, go do it. I have given up on it. The Valve Junior is nice for a beginner valve amp, that doesn't mean it's nice for an advanced practice amp.
3) Why make a thread to shoot down suggestions? That's a stupid thing to do.
4) You could call bullshit,, but I could call you a prick, so it's swings and roundabouts really. No need to swear.

Now, if you can read, you will see I suggested a small clean amp with a floorboard modeller. That's out of your budget, but it's my opinion that it would be the best option. A small clean amp could indeed be a Valve junior or such. I claimed a valve junior sounds bad with its own gain for having lots of it. Your opinions on tone may differ from mine, but that is what I believe.
Definately one of the cube series. Go with the 15x If you ask me. Good for metal, has a few effects etc, very nice cleans too (welll on my 30x it has.)
Last edited by Pooinsky at Jul 10, 2008,
Small quiet metal amp = MicroCube.
The Cube 15 doesn't have the effects that the 30 and Micro have.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.