I have bought some strings and just put them, but after about 2 days the high strings, e B, and G strings are turning black only were I used them the most around the 1-5 frets. They have basically lost all their shine. I do not think this is rust since it is not orange, like actual rust. Is this normal to happen after about 2 days? They still sound good, I can go about one and a half months before a string change.
Its tarnish from the sweat on your hands. Perhaps you have fairly acidic sweat. My friend has the same issue. He started putting baby powder on his hands to help keep em dry. Also, keep your strings clean with fast fret, or an alcohol based cleaner
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Yep.

They get dirty and oily from your hands. Wash your hands before you play and wipe the strings when you're done.

Not much else can be done.
Ok thanks for the advice. Instead of fast fret can I use alcohol to clean the strings? Your strings also get black don't they? The weird part is that they are clean just not shiny.
Quote by cad2blender
Ok thanks for the advice. Instead of fast fret can I use alcohol to clean the strings? Your strings also get black don't they? The weird part is that they are clean just not shiny.

Yes, mine do as well.

I wouldn't recommend alcohol, you really don't want to get in on the fretboard.

Save it for drinking.
Maybe just carefully wipe the string with a clean cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol?
Quote by cad2blender
Maybe just carefully wipe the string with a clean cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol?

Never done it, but I suppose if you're careful, yes.

Alcohol will dry out the fretboard. Same reason you feel like crap the next morning after you drank a lot, your body is dehydrated, i.e. dried out from the alcohol.
you can use alcohol based cleaners, just don' forget to give your fretboard a drink of lemon oil
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
You could use lighter fluid too, does the trick for me. Of course, you want to rehydrate the fretboard with some sort lemon oil or something.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Quote by Cutmyself
You could use lighter fluid too, does the trick for me. Of course, you want to rehydrate the fretboard with some sort lemon oil or something.

How about we not dehydrate it in the first place?

Strings are like $4 a pack. Play them till they break or sound horrible. Don't worry about how they look if it's not affecting sound.
Some strings react different than others to peoples skin chemistry. I know fender and EB do the same for me but ddarrios last a long time. I use the fast fret when Im done playing.
i never use anything like that

dried blood on the strings gives it a nice vibe too :P
sorta like having aids