Well, before the flaming begins, I'd like to say yes i realize this is ULTIMATE GUITAR, but there is no ULTIMATE drum and i think this is probably the biggest music related forum on the interwebz So i summoned the courage and decided to ask the following:

I am a newb and just bought a Tama Imperial Star Drum Set and i wanted to learn how to start playing? Could someone give me a basic outline on how i should start? Like where do these fall in place : rudiments/pattern drumming/etc? What are drum techniques and things like guitar has scales/chords/tunings/techniques/styles/etc.

Where do i start on the drums i mean since this isnt a standard tone based instrument, im really confused...
Quote by Ht666
Get a teacher, they would help you way more than all of us.

+1

But to answer a bit (I play drums as well as guitar). Start with the rudiments. Get yourself a rudiments book (google there are hundreds) and practice them on a pad. All rudiments can be appiled to a kit. Search Youtube as there are a lot of beginner lessons there and yes get a teacher so they can instruct you on how to hold the sticks properly.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
The best place to start is to just find basic drum beats. Once you start working on those, if you go to www.vicfirth.com you can click on the link to the educational resource center and you will have tons of lessons on all sorts of different drum techniques, rudiments and excersizes. All of that fancy **** that fancy drummers do.
Go play Rockband, that's how all the cool kids are doing it.

On a serious note though, I hear Rockband 2 has a drum trainer.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
But for serious, here are a few rudiments:

Single strokes - RLRLRLRL
Double Strokes - RRLLRRLL
Paradiddles - RLRRLRLL

95% of everything you will play on a drumset will use these rudiments. Practice these as sixteenth notes starting at a slow speed and gradually build up, working your way to bouncing the double strokes and doubles in the paradiddles. Make sure to hold your sticks right (Match Grip). This is hard to explain but you can find videos on youtube. Anything else?
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
1.Obtain rythm
2.???
3.Profit
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
start with basic beats drums are based on rythems beats pattern etc

tehniques would be things like flams rimshots etc

start with this pattern
hihat 1-2-3-4
snare-----3---
bass 1--------
its the most basic beat i know

thats probally the most i can help u in one message
" i saw these 2 girls kiss and i i got all horny and stuff"
For the purposes of this thread im going to assume you like grindcore....

bass(with cymbal), snare, bass, snare, bass snare , bass, snare (very fast)

hope that helps
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
I suggest buying a good drum book. There's a drum teacher from AZ that has a really good book that covers the basics and goes into many different styles and beats. I believe his name is Andy... Ziker? And his book is called Drumscapes, it's on Amazon for like $20.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
I'd get lessons if I were you. I'd suggest some vicfirth drumsticks. Start with some easy stuff like Nirvana or The Offspring or Sum 41 if you want to play some actual songs.

What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

Homeless.

You're in a room with a serial killer, a lion, and a drummer. You have a gun with 2 bullets. What do you do?

Shoot the drummer twice.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by shreddin_frets
Do this;

Bass Drum - Snare - Bass Drum Bass Drum - Snare

Repeat

HANNAH MONTANA????????????
Quote by assparade69

We Will Rock You. Sort of. =P
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by andrew12398
I'd get lessons if I were you. I'd suggest some vicfirth drumsticks. Start with some easy stuff like Nirvana

Dude, I heard you have to be master to play Smells Like Teen Spirit on drums!
Quote by Jyuuga
Dude, I heard you have to be master to play Smells Like Teen Spirit on drums!

Que?
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

Well, i'm a guitarist and drummer, and they aren't really that similar unless you could the fact that you can play rhythms on both. You're gonna be hearing alot of drummer jokes because apparently drummers can only count "1,2,3,4" and repeat.
Whereas Guitar is a melodic instrument and turns out notes, drums don't and is purely a rhythm instrument. To that extent, drumming is just rhythm, but can influence the feeling of the song. I'd say for a good example of this listen to a couple of Bloc Party songs with Matt Tong drumming, in particular Sunday and This Modern Love.
Hope this helped - PM me if you have more questions!
Originally Posted by venom0014
yeaaaaa, i love you zenmaestro in a non gay way

^Of course Venom, everybody does.

Originally Posted by Will_Minus
This guy knows the score.

You see? Someone knows the score.
I'd get lessons if I were you. I'd suggest some vicfirth drumsticks. Start with some easy stuff like Nirvana or The Offspring or Sum 41 if you want to play some actual songs.

What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

Homeless.

You're in a room with a serial killer, a lion, and a drummer. You have a gun with 2 bullets. What do you do?

Shoot the drummer twice.
i dunt get it...

anyways well ill continue my rudiments then and lol the first song i attempted was stairway to heaven on guitar AND drums...

Hey guys also, in a live video of Dredg playing Bug Eyes I saw their Drummer, DINO played keys + drums at the same time, how long would it take me to get enough skills to play like at that level? I practice guitar + drums everyday along with theory (intervals/scales/chords)

And i will definitely be getting a book on fills/rudiments/and drum licks?

So far i can play these rhythms

S|-2-4|
B|1-3-|
H|1-3-|

S|-2-4|
B|1---|
H|1-3-|
Last edited by dxtreme at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by andrew12398
Que?

Well, another friend I know said that playing drums during the main riff is really hard ó.o.
Quote by Jyuuga
Well, another friend I know said that playing drums during the main riff is really hard ó.o.

Well there's a lot of syncopation in it but it should take maybe 5 minutes max. I'm good at playing syncopated stuff so who knows how hard it is.
Quote by Zinnie

Quote by assparade69

Actually I was thinking more of a hip-hop type deal thing

But that works I guess....
freedrumlessons.com helped me alot. But you'll need to have a sense of timing (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and).
a metronome - set it up behind you and it ticks on every beat, or on 1,2,3 and 4.
Play along to the rhythm, shouldn't be too hard...
LOL thanks jsbud - you just proved what i said earlier;
drummers can only count to 4 and repeat

Quote by Zenmaestro
a metronome - set it up behind you and it ticks on every beat, or on 1,2,3 and 4.
Play along to the rhythm, shouldn't be too hard...
LOL thanks jsbud - you just proved what i said earlier;
drummers can only count to 4 and repeat

I know one that can count to six...

WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY??!?!!?!?
Quote by shreddin_frets
I know one that can count to six...

WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY??!?!!?!?

They SHOULD be able to at least count to 64, you know, 64th notes?
Quote by Zinnie

all multiples of 4 (to get 6 multiply 4 by 6/4)
Anyway i never said it was my opinion - its general Pit "knowledge".
I don't agree with it - hell i'm starting second year of IB with math...
i can count to higher than 64
65 - see

Last edited by Zenmaestro at Jul 10, 2008,
Can't remember what it's exactly called but I really like the RLLRRL rudiment. Can be played in 12/8 or as triplets over 4/4.

edit: six stroke roll apparently.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
Quote by Zenmaestro
all multiples of 4 (to get 6 multiply 4 by 6/4)
Anyway i never said it was my opinion - its general Pit "knowledge".
I don't agree with it - hell i'm starting second year of IB with math...
i can count to higher than 64
65 - see

What? Drummers can't multiply you n00b.
Quote by dxtreme
Well, before the flaming begins, I'd like to say yes i realize this is ULTIMATE GUITAR, but there is no ULTIMATE drum and i think this is probably the biggest music related forum on the interwebz So i summoned the courage and decided to ask the following:

I am a newb and just bought a Tama Imperial Star Drum Set and i wanted to learn how to start playing? Could someone give me a basic outline on how i should start? Like where do these fall in place : rudiments/pattern drumming/etc? What are drum techniques and things like guitar has scales/chords/tunings/techniques/styles/etc.

Where do i start on the drums i mean since this isnt a standard tone based instrument, im really confused...

Start with single paradiddle, close it down,which means get faster and faster. Then do the same with the double stroke roll, then 5 stroke rolls through 17 stroke rolls. From then on it's kind of your path.

Also purchase George Stones book Essential rudiment something, its gray and I think is like $10
Last edited by the_strikes at Jul 10, 2008,
I'm just a guitarist, but I can play basic drum beats. Here are some simple ones to help you get down rhythm and timing...

Hi-hat plays eighth notes
H|X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-
S|----X-------X---
B|X-------X-X-----

Hi-hat plays quarter notes
H|X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-
S|--X---X---X---X-
B|X--XX---X--XX---
(Sorry about the lack of space in this one)

Hi-hat plays eighth notes
H|X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-
S|----X-----X-X-------X-------X-X-
B|X-------X-----X---X-----X-------

And Smells Like Teen Spirit's drumming is only hard during the chorus/intro, because you hit the bass pedal preeeetty fast with just one foot/pedal.

Foo Fighters - "Best Of You" has some good drumming during the solo/interlude part.

Long live Dave Grohl .

Here's Best Of You's verse, which I find terribly hard to keep this rhythm...

H|X---X---X---X---
S|X-----X-----X---
B|--X-X---X-X---X-

Keeping a different rhythm on the hi-hat than with the snare/bass...ugh. I'm getting better at it though.
OMG jsbud i just pissed myself laughing at that, thanks for the pit response
buut yes i play guitar as well so that should count for something surely?
anyway its 1am i'm going to bed...
We shall meet some other time.

look up Gene Hoglan, he has some easy beginners stuff
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)