Page 1 of 6
Ok well I decided to take the $1700 for my Mark IV instead of the trade for the 5150 III, so that leaves me with... $1700 to spend on a new amp.

Now I guess I *could* add a bit more if it's really worth it, but I really don't want to spend more than $2000.

Part of me wants to just wait for a great deal to come along, but the other part of me wants to get an amp now and crank that **** up!

Here's my options so far:

a) Get a different 5150 III.

b) Buy a Soldano Avenger and have it modded for an FX-Loop and then use my Duncan amp an A/B it for a clean channel.

c) Buy an Engl Powerball for $1600 from the guy I bought my Mark IV from.

d) Buy VHT Deliverance and do the same thing as the Avenger.

e) Buy a Splawn Nitro if I can find one cheap.

f) Buy something completely different.

So... Opinions? Suggestions?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I thinking get a Hot Rod Deluxe with an OD pedal, for metal. That way you'll have plenty of money left for a tube and speaker swap and some cool pedals. Boss makes good stuff, btw.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I thinking get a Hot Rod Deluxe with an OD pedal, for metal. That way you'll have plenty of money left for a tube and speaker swap and some cool pedals. Boss makes good stuff, btw.

I laughed so hard it hurt. Why the change of heart? What happened???
^Sadly, being a bluesman, I have nothing but sarcasm to contribute to this thread.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62

+1.....

Maybe wait till xmas because theirs rumours about the Mesa Mark V been revealed at winter NAMM. Thats if you even want another mark tho.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Ok well I decided to take the $1700 for my Mark IV instead of the trade for the 5150 III, so that leaves me with... $1700 to spend on a new amp.

Now I guess I *could* add a bit more if it's really worth it, but I really don't want to spend more than $2000.

Part of me wants to just wait for a great deal to come along, but the other part of me wants to get an amp now and crank that **** up!

Here's my options so far:

a) Get a different 5150 III.

b) Buy a Soldano Avenger and have it modded for an FX-Loop and then use my Duncan amp an A/B it for a clean channel.

c) Buy an Engl Powerball for $1600 from the guy I bought my Mark IV from.

d) Buy VHT Deliverance and do the same thing as the Avenger.

e) Buy a Splawn Nitro if I can find one cheap.

f) Buy something completely different.

So... Opinions? Suggestions?

why don't you just get the evh?
that would cover everything
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Nah, not really interested in another Mesa to be honest. It was a great amp, but I wanna give another company a shot.

The only thing I'd be interested in from Mesa right now is a Stilleto, but that would be for my more Marshally sound, I think I'd rather have a Splawn or something with my budget now though
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i really love option B.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I say find a splawn. I'm not big into metal, but those things get my rocks off for sure.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by chea_man
i really love option B.

Yeah, I tried an Avenger last Friday finally and that thing sounded AMAZING for the price. I thought it sounded better than the Diezel Einstein and VH4 in the same room

Quote by Kevin Saale
I say find a splawn. I'm not big into metal, but those things get my rocks off for sure.

Erock said he might be selling his Nitro, so we'll see. It's definitely an option, those things sound pretty sweet.

I don't need the amp right now so I can wait
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
oh man, your guess is as good as mine. i took about a year and a half to decide what to go for, and after all that ended up buying something i hadn't tried off the internet...

EDIT: i doubt you'd go too far wrong with any of those.

Have you tried the powerball? it's very, well, metal, and some people think it's a bit sterile.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh man, your guess is as good as mine. i took about a year and a half to decide what to go for, and after all that ended up buying something i hadn't tried off the internet...

EDIT: i doubt you'd go too far wrong with any of those.

Have you tried the powerball? it's very, well, metal, and some people think it's a bit sterile.

I haven't tried the Powerball yet, but the one I have my eyes on is local and it's the guy that I bought my Mark IV selling it, so I already know him and he's a pretty cool guy, will let me come over and try it and everything before I decide to buy it.

My guesses are though that it's probably too br00t@lz sounding for me and not smooth enough on the lead channel. Could be wrong though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Why are you parting with your Mark IV, Matrixclaw? What did it lack that you are looking for?
Quote by Steve BP
Why are you parting with your Mark IV, Matrixclaw? What did it lack that you are looking for?

Clean channel is too warm sounding - I want something more chimey and bright.

R2 was unusable without an OD and it was still pretty weak sounding - I wanted more of a Marshally tone out of it and some more ballsy crunch.

Lead channel I liked a lot, really not too much complaints there.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I haven't tried the Powerball yet, but the one I have my eyes on is local and it's the guy that I bought my Mark IV selling it, so I already know him and he's a pretty cool guy, will let me come over and try it and everything before I decide to buy it.

My guesses are though that it's probably too br00t@lz sounding for me and not smooth enough on the lead channel. Could be wrong though.

i think it probably can get quite smooth on the lead channel (engls tend to be pretty refined-sounding), but if you're concerned about it being too br00talz for you, it, er, probably is. Worth a try though if it's close to you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by timi_hendrix
Why did you decide against trading for the 5150III in the end?

He said he would give me two options since he isn't going to have it to me by Friday like he said since he's been sick.

Either wait till Monday and just trade like we were going to, or he can send me $1700 for the Mark IV right now and I can buy whatever I want. I took the $1700 cause I figured if nothing else, I'll make a little bit of money that I can use on vacation this week

Quote by Dave_Mc
i think it probably can get quite smooth on the lead channel (engls tend to be pretty refined-sounding), but if you're concerned about it being too br00talz for you, it, er, probably is. Worth a try though if it's close to you.

Well actually, br00talz isn't much of a problem. I just figure that being such an amp it can't cover the Marshally territory I want from an amp. I basically want:

Bright clean channel
Marshall-esque channel
Smooth hi-gain channel

If possible. I might have to just live without the Marshallness for a while I guess, then maybe buy a Ceriatone clone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 10, 2008,
yeah, the marshall-esque is probably the problem, and i guess the powerball can get smooth, but it wouldn't be my first choice of engl if i were after smooth.

how about a blackmore? the cleans are warmer on it, though...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, the marshall-esque is probably the problem, and i guess the powerball can get smooth, but it wouldn't be my first choice of engl if i were after smooth.

how about a blackmore? the cleans are warmer on it, though...

Yeah, friend of mine has a Blackmore and I really enjoyed it when I played one, but I think for the price I would rather go with a Splawn because I hear the clean channel on the Nitro is brighter, and as you said, the Blackmore's are a little warmer
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah, and also the blackmore doesn't get super-high gain like some of the other engls (if that's your thing).

that's the other thing, in the states there are probably better-value options than engl... your soldanos, splawns, bogners and what have you...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I really like the sound of the Soldanos, but the ones that offer the stuff I need cost way more than my budget.

Bogner would be cool, but the only one I really like is the XTC and it's out of my price range unless I get a crazy deal.

Think I'm leanin toward the Nitro right now!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
u want to has cleens? get a 5150!11!!

no really, i dont know. i know what you mean about the mark iv though, R2 is just such a waste.
Well Enough Alone
I'd say the Splawn or EVH but the Soldano, VHT and ENGL are all great choices. Damn you for having that kind of money!
Any other amps you guys could think of in my price range that can do what I want?

I want to upgrade from my Mark IV, so no "cheaper" amps
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^I'd go with a Two-Rock amp. If it doesn't get heavy enough for you, send it my way and i'll make sure nothing is wrong with it.

Trust me.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^I'd go with a Two-Rock amp. If it doesn't get heavy enough for you, send it my way and i'll make sure nothing is wrong with it.

Trust me.

I actually play Bluesy stuff a lot so if I got a Two-Rock, I'd be keepin it!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Powerball!!

Also, there is a VHT Pitbull on Musicgorounds page for 1299
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by MatrixClaw

I actually play Bluesy stuff a lot so if I got a Two-Rock, I'd be keepin it!

Then it's on to plan B...

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by MatrixClaw
Clean channel is too warm sounding - I want something more chimey and bright.

R2 was unusable without an OD and it was still pretty weak sounding - I wanted more of a Marshally tone out of it and some more ballsy crunch.

Lead channel I liked a lot, really not too much complaints there.

well i havent tried a mark V, but my mark III can get pretty ballsy. i cranked the R1 channel today and it had an amazing crunch sound. ill try R2 in a little while. i know its way below your price range, and you dont really want a mesa, but i still say give it a shot. you never know, right?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
^I think that would be a waste in his price range. I think if he wants marshal he should get a splawn, they are the epitome of hot rodded marshall.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'm not sure about the mk III's high gain abilities, but from the recordings i've heard they have a damn good mid-gain tone.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Give the knuclehead tre a listen to. Got rid of all my amps because this one fit the bill so perfectly.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Try a Laney VH 100R.

A bit below your price range but not much. Very Brittish sounding if thats what your looking for. Great crunch, nice gain, excellent cleans, a little noisy when cranked but noting a noise gate wont fix. I love mine.
Sig What?
Quote by kool98769
I'm not sure about the mk III's high gain abilities, but from the recordings i've heard they have a damn good mid-gain tone.

ill get clips as soon as possible lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
i know the evh has bright cleans (fender cleans) and nice smooth od, but i'm guessing the middle crunch isn't good enough?
hmm
ever thinking of a/bing 2 good amps?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
i know the evh has bright cleans (fender cleans) and nice smooth od, but i'm guessing the middle crunch isn't good enough?
hmm
ever thinking of a/bing 2 good amps?

Nah, the 5150 III actually covers all of those, but just for some reason with the budget I have now, I'd rather get something higher in budget, something that'll keep its value a little better as well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
*starts doubting the mark iv's rhy 2 channel*
damn you!

i really haven't tried any amps in your boutique price range so... i haychu
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
*starts doubting the mark iv's rhy 2 channel*
damn you!

i really haven't tried any amps in your boutique price range so... i haychu

LOL
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com