ive actually been pondering this question for quite some time. is coil tapping different from coil splitting or are they the same thing?? if they are different, does one have an advantage over the other?
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
coil splitting: Only one coil of a humbucker is being used, giving you a single coil sound (though real single coils still sound better usually).
coil tapping: Only a part of wound wire in the pickup is used, reducing the output and greatly altering the pickup's tonal character. Mind you, this is only being used on single coils, because it is easier to install coil tapping on humbuckers.

EDIT: You should have used the search function, it's there for a reason. This has been asked at least a dozen times here.
THey aren't the same thing, but the terms are used interchangeably (in the coil splitting case, which is humbucker-singlecoil)
EDIT: TheQuailMan has it in a nutshell.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i realized i shouldve used search right after posting

thanks for the response though
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
pretty much what quailman said; bear in mind that guitar companies often use the terms incorrectly. if a guitar claims to have coil taps and it's got humbuckers, there's a good chance it's actually splits.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?