This is an ultimate newb question, but instead of playing chords like G, C, D, etc. open, my guitar teacher tells me to play a G with the E, B, and e strings barred on the 3rd fret and my middle finger on the G string, 4th fret, my pinky on the D string 5th fret, and my ring finger on the A string 5th fret. -----3-----
-----3-----
-----4-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
-----3-----

And a D chord like this: -----3-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
-----3-----
-----3-----

I shall not go on, but do you know why he makes me do this? I don't want to ask him because I'm afraid he'll think I'm an idiot.
Sorry they got messed up:

G:

-----3-----
-----3-----
-----4-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
-----3-----

D:

-----3-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
-----3-----
-----3-----
I AM AN IDIOT!!!!!!! Sorry for the D chord I meant:

-----5-----
-----7-----
-----7-----
-----7-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
The chords sound different like that. Open chords aren't the be all and end all.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
He's just forcing you to think differently and use more than than 1/8th of the fretboard.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
The First 2 Posts sum it up... lol.
Guitars:
'72 Telecaster Custom
Dean V-coustic
Ibanez ARZ307

Pedals:

Metal Muff
Mastortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Marshall Regenerator
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
MXR Analog Delay

Amp:
Peavey 1x12 Something..
These are barre chords, and just allow you to move around the neck while still playing the same chords.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by newbienewbie

G:

-----3-----
-----3-----
-----4-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
-----3-----

D:

-----3-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
-----3-----
-----3-----

The G is a major movable chord shape, i.e. move that shape up two frets and you will get an A major chord. Move it up one fret it becomes G#(sharp) or Ab(flat).

G becomes A

-----3------------------5------
-----4------------------6------
-----5------------------7------
-----5------------------7------

The root is on the 6th string, the thickest one. The root is the note that gives the chord it's name, so if it's the third fret, the G, the root is G, and using that shape it's a G major chord.
If it's the fifth fret, an A note, the root is A, and the chord is A major. Same goes for any note on the E string.

The D chord is slightly different, but essentially the same.

D major, with the root on the fifth string (A)

-----3-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
-----5-----
-----3-----
-----------

E major

-----5----
-----7----
-----7----
-----7----
-----5----
-----------

What your teacher is getting you to do is play the fifth note of the scale lower down than the root, in this case the fifth note is A.

-----3----------
-----5----------
-----5Root-----
-----5Fifth-----
-----3Root-----
-----3Fifth-----

The fifths and Roots are octaves of each other, if you play the roots or fifths separately, youll hear it's the same note.

I hope this helps and doesn't just confuse you.
EDIT: If it does confuse you, ignore it and ask your teacher. He'll have more chance of being able to explain it way better than any of us on here, he knows you, know's your learning style etc. Plus it's what he gets paid for.
They aren't odd chords, they're actually as basic and conventional as you get. The same note exists in multiple places on the fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Also, you said you were afraid to ask him why in case he'd think you were an idiot. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions, they can only help you. Remember that your guitar teacher was a beginner too and a lot of theory would not have made sense to him at first, nor did he master the guitar over a week. It takes a lot of practice and work and he (if he's a reasonable human being) won't look down on you for asking questions.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by <Craig>

E major

-----5----
-----7----
-----7----
-----7----
-----5----
-----------

i beleive you ment is a D Major. E major would be at the 7th fret.
Dude if your teacher is any good he will never think you are, or treat you like, an idiot. Your paying him to teach you music and how to play guitar so make him earn his money. Ask him every question that you can think of and he will think you are smart and passionate about what he has to offer. If anything he will feel like an idiot for not telling you why something is important.

Cheers.
Si
Right! If he thinks you're an idiot - Fire his ass! and find someone else to teach you.
Jam On!