Ive always wondered when driving say from a stationary position say taking first gear up to 4-5000 revs then 2nd gear up to 3-4000 revs 3rd gear up to the say etc.

You know just to get to a speed quick, can this damage the car as the revs are fairly high or will it only start to damage if its in the red zone?

thanks for any help
Red zone is where you don't wanna be, although most cars can be in the red zone for moments and not have any lasting damage.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
so say up to 4000 revs wont do any damage just to get the quick acceleration from the car
You won't literally damage the car, but you'll wear out certain parts faster such as the clutch.
so bits that can get repaired just as long as its not a whole new engine or something that will cost a lot of money.

Oh and what happens when your clutch is worn, can you not change gear ? lol or how do you know, what effect does it have on dirving and the car is self?
If you accelerate against a tree...

EDIT: You will be able to switch gears, but the clutch will not work as used to. It is pretty worn on my old audi and it only reacts in(?) the first third of the pedal way, the other thirds practically don't do anything.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
If you accelerate against a tree...

I like to stay on the road thanks

im not a speeder i just like getting to speed quick
i'm guessing you could mess up your differential... if you're accelerating fast enough.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
You wont ruin it until you hang out in the red for a while.
You will wear the engine faster then normal though. (Over time)
On a cold engine that will destroy that engine quick. Its ok to do that when its thoroughly warmed up. It wont do any harm as long as you keep up your maintance, oil change ever 3k miles or 3 months. check air cleaner ETC ETC.

When your clutch is worn you will have a real gummy feeling in the shifter. (if its a manual) in an automatic you will notice a miss in the shift timings. Its not a big deal until the shifting is seriously delayed then you will start stripping gears in your transmission and then it gets expensive.
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 (selling soon to fund a Mark V)
Last edited by ThatsAgood1jay at Jul 10, 2008,
its a citreon saxo vtr with a K and N filter in it I THINK lol not 100% sure though just looks like one lol
I don't think it would do any lasting damage.
But wouldn't you be using up more petrol than if you change up earlier?
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
I don't think it would do any lasting damage.
But wouldn't you be using up more petrol than if you change up earlier?

yeah it uses up more fuel but i just don't want to f**k up my car, i love the thing to bits
What kind of car is it? On a normal production passenger car, you'll break traction and spin out before you break anything. Although this will accelerate wear on your drivetrain components. If it's a 4 cyl car, keep in mind that these engines make the most power at high revs, usually around 5000 RPM. So you should be okay.
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals
Quote by fsae0607
What kind of car is it? On a normal production passenger car, you'll break traction and spin out before you break anything. Although this will accelerate wear on your drivetrain components. If it's a 4 cyl car, keep in mind that these engines make the most power at high revs, usually around 5000 RPM. So you should be okay.

its a citreon saxo vtr
accelerating fast uses more petrol.

if you don't care about the environment, think about the cost.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Dont do it from cold either, wait about 5-10 mins untill the car is properly warmed up before thrashing it :P
i mean im not totaly booting it everytime im in the thing like my area the limit is 30 mph anyway so im coming from my street so goin from either 0 or spprox 10mph to 30 i dont go like from 0-60 as quick as i can everytime im in the car
how is that damaging? i always get it up to 5-6k on the RPM every single time I drive. that does absolutely nothing to the car only burns more gas.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Quote by JizzerWizzer
You won't literally damage the car, but you'll wear out certain parts faster such as the clutch.

well not the clutch, thats only if you shift like a goober.

it will wear certain things out, depends on the engine. i had a fiesta that hated revving high, and a punto that could do it for years and years (and plenty can testify to that!)
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by SathiaSun
i'm guessing you could mess up your differential... if you're accelerating fast enough.

thats a VERY broad statement. It all depends on what car it is. A good sports car or performance car is made to be driven hard. Look at anything from toyota supra to bmw m5.... there is NO WAY in hell you can break anything on those cars. They're so overengineered that they can handle 2-3 times the power that the factory tunes them to. Sure take a chevy malibu or something and its a different story.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Quote by IndieMetalhead
well not the clutch, thats only if you shift like a goober.

it will wear certain things out, depends on the engine. i had a fiesta that hated revving high, and a punto that could do it for years and years (and plenty can testify to that!)

haha,
The punto, although one ugly and cheap car and the first pic of knackers/chavs to modify n blare out techno tunes... is in fact a brilliant machine!
You can really trash it all over the place and it'll still last for a long time!
Ok they have SMALL 1.0 - 1.5L engines. Your limiting factor here is tire traction. With the small tires on that car, you'll spin out if your total engine/drivetrain torque manages to overpower the tires. Other than that, your drivetrain should be able to totally withstand the full power of your engine, you'll just burn up more gas and put a bit more wear on your car. But it shouldn't break!

Rooskiy, you're right about overengineering. It's something we need to do in order to compensate for the abusive users!
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals