So I'm pretty new to the world of recording, i used to just put a mic next to my amp and record it with audacity, this lead to pretty bad sound quality. Recently i purchased this...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-MXL-990-991-Recording-Mic-Duo-and-M-Audio-AudioBuddy-Package-703626-i1173655.gc

I'm just wondering using this, audacity, and my computer(as well as what ever wires are needed) how do i get the best sound quality, for guitar, bass, drums and vocals
I would use analog, imho. digital doesn't give you as pure of a sound because it just takes a million samples and puts them together. while analog will record it as is. it also tends to have a warmer sound than digital.
Are you using the stock sound card? how are you going into the computer?

Quote by guitardude34875
I would use analog, imho. digital doesn't give you as pure of a sound because it just takes a million samples and puts them together. while analog will record it as is. it also tends to have a warmer sound than digital.

Are you serious dude? Your advising him to buy a hard disk recorder? You're forgetting that there is basically no editing functions on analog recorders. Plus they cost double the amount that you would need to spend on a basic computer setup to get a much better sound thats much more versatile. Not to mention the fact that you wont gain any practical knowledge from learning on analog equipment, you wont find a studio in western civilisations that have used hard disks in the last 5-10 years, because they're completely obsolete, and a waste of money.
Last edited by f*ck 0ff at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by f*ck 0ff
Are you using the stock sound card? how are you going into the computer?

Are you serious dude? Your advising him to buy a hard disk recorder? You're forgetting that there is basically no editing functions on analog recorders. Plus they cost double the amount that you would need to spend on a basic computer setup to get a much better sound thats much more versatile. Not to mention the fact that you wont gain any practical knowledge from learning on analog equipment, you wont find a studio in western civilisations that have used hard disks in the last 5-10 years, because they're completely obsolete, and a waste of money.

Hes got a point....

Seeing it does come with a preamp i think you would be fine to go right into your computer from the preamp.
right now i plug my guitar into the preamp then into the computer(all ive tried is guitar and base)

the bass comes out ok, and the guitar is ok clean and its not very good distorted, which sucks cause i need a pretty heavy guitar

as for the sound card, im using stock, but for now im looking for the best soudn i can get with what i have
Quote by Totaled4life
right now i plug my guitar into the preamp then into the computer(all ive tried is guitar and base)

the bass comes out ok, and the guitar is ok clean and its not very good distorted, which sucks cause i need a pretty heavy guitar

as for the sound card, im using stock, but for now im looking for the best soudn i can get with what i have

usually sound cards for computers aren't meant for recording. Try and find one that is specifically for recording music
i was asking about a sound card but thanks anyway

also does anyone know a good free guitar modeling program ??
Those units ARE soundcards, just external ones. An audio interface works by bypassing the stock card, giving you higher quality recordings and lower latency. I'd recommend getting one if you're serious about getting a good recorded tone. Some people seem to get decent results from stock cards, but in my experience, these are few and far between.

As for free guitar modelling programs, there's a thread in this forum where someone asked that question a couple of weeks back. That threads got quite a few in it, you should search for it.
There is poetry in despair.
I'd recommend getting an interface with atleast one mic preamp, so you don't have to buy a mixer aswell. On a rare occasion you'll find a sound card with an xlr in, but never a mic pre as far as I know.
Quote by Totaled4life
well right now i have a

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-Audio-Buddy-100387450-i1154049.gc

so would i buy a sound card and hook these to together then into my computer ??

Oh ok, yeah you could buy a sound card, or you could still buy an interface with one or two mic pre's just incase you wanna record a band or even for yourself, when i'm miking my quad I use atleast 3 mics. Look into the Presonus Firebox, or if you still wanna go with a soundcard go with the m-audio audiophile 2496. I still strongly recommend going with an interface though.
hm i hate to sound like an idiot(again) but what exactly is a interface? and can u give some examples

Also i though that if i plug my guitar into my preamp, the preamp into my computer, then have a amp modeling program up and running, that if i recorded the sound from that program would, would this work ?

also thanks for all the help guys
An 'interface' is an external sound card that usually contains mic preamps and other forms of inputs. It functions as a way to record quality audio straight into your computer, as well as provide low-latency monitoring and quality playback.
Quote by Totaled4life
Also i though that if i plug my guitar into my preamp, the preamp into my computer, then have a amp modeling program up and running, that if i recorded the sound from that program would, would this work ?

also thanks for all the help guys

Nah you're kinda missing the point there man. With an interface/Speciallized audio soundcard you are completely replacing the functionality of your crappy stock sound card thats already in your computer. You really have to look at all sound cards and interfaces a converters of audio signal to a digital signal that your computer can read in a sense (in as simple terms as I can put it). What we're stronly suggesting is that you invest in a usb/firewire interface and go mic>preamp>interface>computer. Because with out the interface/good sound card in the chain, you're depending on the crappy sound card in your computer to turn the audio signal into the digital signal, which is the most significant aspect of recording. I hope that makes sense, i'm a terrible teacher, maybe one of the other dudes can explain it better than I can.
lets start from the beginning

Right now you have a set of mics and a preamp unit which is fair but that preamp wont be needed if you get an interface (which you should get if you want quality in your recordings)

Run the mic into the interface, then the interface connects to yoru computer.

Interfaces have on board preamps most of the time as well as preamps so you wont need the audio buddy.

Some interfaces to look into are the TASCAM US-122L (USB 2.0), E-MU 0202 or 0404 (USB 2.0), or the Mackie Onyx Satellite (firewire).

Theres a lot of products out there but it would be nice to know what budget we are dealing with here.

If you want to record with an electric guitar and have any amps, a Shure SM57 would be nice to add to yoru budget although the 990 and 991 work well for general use IMO.

Dont go analog. With lower budget setups they dont sound great at all. And overall you need to spend more to setup an analog rig.

oh and for drums you may want to try software unless you have a kit setup. In tha case you may want to go with an 8 input interface such as a PreSonus FP10 (firepod). You can get one for $3 - $400
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 12, 2008,
I completely agree with everything you said, minus the recommendation of the Tascam US122, I've had the displeasure of using one a couple of times, nowhere near worth the money imo. Also to the threadstarter, don't nessicerily trust products that say "zero latency" or "ultra low latency", all usb devices will have a noticable amount of latency. Research into everything before you buy anything, we're only recommending things you should check out, not telling you what to buy.
well as of right now, my budget is pretty low probably from like 150-100 because i just purchased a bass

if i buy one of the E-MU 0404 can i record two tracks at a time because it seems like there's two ports.

also where do i connect the interface into the computer, only because these things usually confuse me, and since im usually by myself it gets annoying having to constantly plug and unplug plugs from the back of my computer
If its USB, it plugs into any USB port. If it's Firewire, it plugs into any Firewire port.

Most desktops have front panel USB access.
Quote by Totaled4life
well as of right now, my budget is pretty low probably from like 150-100 because i just purchased a bass

if i buy one of the E-MU 0404 can i record two tracks at a time because it seems like there's two ports.

also where do i connect the interface into the computer, only because these things usually confuse me, and since im usually by myself it gets annoying having to constantly plug and unplug plugs from the back of my computer

Yeah man theres two mic/line inputs. When you're looking at products you just have to read the information below to find out what its all about, and if you don't know what it mean then ask, that way you'll learn something.
thanks, i read it i just wanted to make 100% sure, so i don't buy something i don't need