If you read my other thread, then brace yourself for text. And oodles of it.

To begin, I plan on playing every genre I can think, you can think of, and that Steve Nash can think of. Though, my focus will be on Metal. I'm in the works of deciding what AMP I want, but the reason I'm asking this question and the AMP one is to make my final gear list (before I move out and start having to pay bills) to get so I have a good setup.

SO! I have a few questions, evidently. Those come later though, this is this.

Pedals I plan on getting:

Overdrive Pedal: Maxon OD-9 Overdrive - From my knowledge, Maxon makes amazing pedals, and this ones looks it. From what I've heard (sound clips) it sounds very natural, warm, and can add some bite as well. I'm kinda torn between this and a Tube Screamer, but this one looks good. My question for this is, should I get it, or the tube screamer?

Delay Pedal: MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - Natural sounding, great delay. I'm having slight issues deciding between this and the DD-7, but the MXR sounds somewhat better (slightly) to me, more natural, as the boss does sound quite digital, and seems to have a whole load of features I wouldn't use, on the other hand, if I want to experiment, the option should be nice, no?

Reverb Pedal: ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail - Love this, getting it for sure.

Noise Gate: ISP Technologies Decimator - I hear this is the best there is in the field. No contest I figure.

Wah Pedal (having some difficulty here): Morley Bad Horsie 2 or Dunlop Crybaby 535Q - The main issue with the Morley is it has another gutiarists name on it. That is a massive turn off for me. I also hear that it's only good for high gain stuff, not so much funk, etc. The 535Q I hear is good, and is Dunlop, which I love. Not really sure. Any other Wah's to consider?

Whammy Pedal: The one and only :P Digitech - This is fun for noodling around, making cool harmonies, solos, dah dah dah. I want it.

Boost Pedal: MXR Boost - This is a fun little pedal, gives it a nice kick. I think it'll use it for solos.

MY BIGGEST ISSUE HERE: Compression Pedal: Maxon Nine Series Compressor Pro+ - Again, Maxon, high end, same as above basically. Now, my issue with this is whether or not this compression is the one I want. I want one to add a decent amount of sustain, but mostly to tighten my tone, so it's not all over the place. Would I be right getting this for metal-y stuff and other genres as well?

Part Deux

Where would these pedals go? I hear whammy + wah should be before the AMP, and that reverb + delay should be in the EFX loop, what about Compression and Noise Gate and Overdrive?

Also, I need a pedalboard. Preferably a suit case style one, and it should have a power supply or be easily upgraded to have one. I'd need it to hold each, if there is such a thing. The only large pedals are the Wah, Whammy, and the Holy Grail, does such a pedalboard exist?

Thanks for reading this life-ending text extravangza, I'd like to thank you again, in the same sentence. All advice is appreciated and all help is appreciated a lot.

EDIT: Added boost pedal.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
Last edited by CrushedCan at Jul 10, 2008,
I'm getting the Digitech RP90, because I'm not after much aside from a blues overdrive, but I like all the effects and the pickup simulator in it.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Overdrive- I would go Maxon for sure, but I would get an OD-808 instead especially if your going to use it to boost the lead channel of a metal amp.

Don't get a compressor for metal. Distortion creates natural compression.

For the Holy Grail get the + over the regular, there's not a huge price difference. The XO style footprint is a lot nicer then that huge thing, it takes standard power, and you can shape your tone more.

For delay I would go DD-7. People say digital is a bad thing, but it's just different. Analog delays are usually warmer, but the repeats aren't as long or even. Digital has cleaner delays that can go on for a lot longer. The Carbon Copy doesn't sound like fantastic analog to me anyway. Also, the DD-7 has tap tempo the option for a tap tempo switch which IMO is essential for playing live.

For wahs check out RMC. The Pic wah and the Wheels of Fire are nothing short of amazing.

Pedalboard. I use a pedaltrain which I love. I would reccomend you get a pedaltrain 2 and a Voodoo labs Pedal Power 2+, which can be mounted underneath or a Godlyke power all.

EDIT: Why don't you just use the OD as a boost rather then get a whole new pedal? Also, I wouldn't worry aboutt this stuff until you get your new amp. Some FX don't like certain amps loops. It's all about personal taste about how you run them. I personally have reverb, delay, rc-2, tremolo, and an EQ in the loop. Some Noise Supressors you have to run in the loop for them to work properly, but it depends on the pedal.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Jul 10, 2008,
For the boost, the BBE boosta grande seems like hell of a nice one :P.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by killjoys
why do u need so many pedalS?

Because he's going to stick with it hell of a long time, haven't you seen he's going to have to pay bills, try to save money for gear after you've given your last buck for the rent at the end of the month.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Od, compressor, and wah should go before the amp. Delay Reverb and noisegate in the FX loop. I have no idea about the wammy and boost. But I think the boost is in the FX loop as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong about anything
The Overdrive is mostly to get a blues sound. I'm not a huge fan of amps that imitate blues sounds, so i plan on running it on the clean channel then ODing into a nice warm, overdriven bluesy sound with some slapback, at least, sometimes. I also want a versatile OD, but I will look at the 808. Eitherway, it's one of those two as Maxon are amazing, and I love them. Though I guess since I'm tossing the idea of getting a boost I can get the 808. I mean live, I doubt I'd be playing blues and metal at the same show anyways. :P

Hmm, the points you make about the DD-7 have made a massive impression on me. Maybe I'm easily changed, but it definetely looks better now. I didn't know it could loop forty seconds either! That's gonna be incredibly handy for solo practice.

For the Wah, I wasn't really too impressed with either of the Wahs, but they were the best of what I found. Gonna see if the store near me has any of the RMC ones and give em a shot (they are listed as a dealer). Hopefully this solves my Wah issue.

As for the pedal board, gonna grab that Pedal Train 2 with that power supply you mentioned, it looks more than big enough to hold my pedals (which may be saying something :P).

Forgot to mentino one other pedal I was going to get, but it's not as much tone changing or anything, the Planet Waves tuner pedal.

Heh, thanks guys
Blackstar HT-5

In order

Overdrive Pedal: Maxon OD-9 Overdrive - The maxon is good. Very pricey tho. I would like to offer you a handbuilt OD for $100 shipped. I'm trying to get my pedals out there. I designed it primarily for high gain players, so it tightens up the tone without hi jacking it. I use one on my board, and it pretty much stays on all the time, unless I want squeaky cleans......

Delay Pedal: MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - The Carbon Copy is nice but limited. Another one that just came out today actually is the Hardwire DL8 Delay/Looper by Digitech. Its true bypass, and very versatile. Check out the demo at proguitarshop.com. I also really like my DD20

Reverb Pedal: ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail - It's epic, I love mine. It cannot be used on a daisy chain tho, so use the power supply that comes with it.

Noise Gate: ISP Technologies Decimator - No contest

Wah Pedal (having some difficulty here): Morley Bad Horsie 2 or Dunlop Crybaby 535Q - The Bad Horsie 2 is sweet. I use one, and mine doesn't actually have Steve Vai's name on it. It is more suited to a modern sound tho. The bypass is better than the bypass on the Dunlop tho. I used to own both. Teh Horsie won...

Whammy Pedal: The one and only :P Digitech - This is fun for noodling around, making cool harmonies, solos, dah dah dah. I want it.

Boost Pedal: MXR Boost - This one is decent. Personally I recommend either a BBE Boosta Grande, or I also build one of these (I can even do an OD and a boost in the same enclosure for $130.) That gives you the OD and the boost

MY BIGGEST ISSUE HERE: Compression Pedal: Maxon Nine Series Compressor Pro+ - They are great, but generally the most highly regarded comps are the MXR Dyna Comp, and the Ross style Compressor. I can build compressors too, for $120 with selectable modes. But you could pick up a used Dyna comp for like $60

Part Deux

Ok order looks like this....

Wah
Comp
OD
Boost
Modulations (whammy, chorus, flange, etc, the whammy can go in several places tho)
Delay
Reverb

The effects loop may or may not work for you. For example, some of the most effects laden bands like Circa Survive and Oceansize run everything out front. This really is a preference thing. Also, depending on the amp the effects loop might not sound all that great.

PM me if you want details on the pedal builds. I'm very flexible and like to tailor it to your sound. They do cost less than the Maxon stuff though
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
sounds cool but dude...don't get all those pedals at once...first off it'll be over like 500$ at one time to blow...second, when i get a new pedal, i plug ONLY that pedal in, and play with it until i know what it does inside and out...you'll be overwhelmed and have too much crap with all that at once...i did that too when i got into pedals and made a whole list...now after like 2 years i have all the ones i want/wanted. to help you out- i'd say go with a boss dd-3 or dd-6...they're cool cause u know how long your delay is, and delay is delay...i don't think it'll sound too different as far as analog/digital goes compared to the carbon copy...the copy is too straight foreward...i'd also go with the dunlop wah cause they're the most used, the best, and the 535 is tweakable. noise gate pedals aren't too necessary, first see if you have noise..and you really don't need a boost pedal, just switch to your treble pickup or something, really not necessary, trust me...and if you blow all this money you wont even HAVE money for bills...just looking out for ya bro..hope you read all this.
Quote by Bloodshed
PM me if you want details on the pedal builds. I'm very flexible and like to tailor it to your sound. They do cost less than the Maxon stuff though

Thanks for the assisstance mate, consider your ass PM'd, I love using unique gear.
Blackstar HT-5

Quote by dbl93100
sounds cool but dude...don't get all those pedals at once...first off it'll be over like 500$ at one time to blow...second, when i get a new pedal, i plug ONLY that pedal in, and play with it until i know what it does inside and out...you'll be overwhelmed and have too much crap with all that at once...i did that too when i got into pedals and made a whole list...now after like 2 years i have all the ones i want/wanted. to help you out- i'd say go with a boss dd-3 or dd-6...they're cool cause u know how long your delay is, and delay is delay...i don't think it'll sound too different as far as analog/digital goes compared to the carbon copy...the copy is too straight foreward...i'd also go with the dunlop wah cause they're the most used, the best, and the 535 is tweakable. noise gate pedals aren't too necessary, first see if you have noise..and you really don't need a boost pedal, just switch to your treble pickup or something, really not necessary, trust me...and if you blow all this money you wont even HAVE money for bills...just looking out for ya bro..hope you read all this.

I hate to slam down on ya man, but I'm not getting this all at once, or soon even. I'm making a large list of gear I want/need to get before I move out, saving up, and then grabbing pieces of it so that when I DO move out, i won't have to worry about getting my sound, but rather about paying bills and all that other crap. So please, please, please, please guys, stop telling me to not get all these pedals at once, I'm not. I have it under control as to the purchasing power.
Blackstar HT-5

That works too. Really, order is all up to how you want it to sound. Trust your ears. The Whammy is the true toughie to place, and boost can go anywhere depending on what you want.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
dont get the planet waves tuner. if its in a daisy chain you get noise and there is a known issue where an annoying buzz comes out of the amp when it is engaged. btw, pick up the korg pitchblack.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
dont get the planet waves tuner. if its in a daisy chain you get noise and there is a known issue where an annoying buzz comes out of the amp when it is engaged. btw, pick up the korg pitchblack.

After seeing this I looked at a whole buncha reviews. Mixed results. Some say it's amazing, but some do complain of the issues you mentioned. The pitchblack on the other hand had very little complaints, and I love Korg, have one of their tuners already and one of their metronomes. I'll look into it. Thanks mate.
Blackstar HT-5

definately get the boss tuner pedal...can go right into your effects chain...and btw boost can come in a footswitch on plenty of amps, not really necessary, and as someone else said, and overdrive pedal can be your boost, and amps have reverb too...
Some amps don't have boost features

A reverb in front of the preamp sounds different than amp reverb and can make delay effects come alive, plus the Holy Grail has different reverb types. Some amps don't have reverb at all
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
As you pointed out an analog delay DOES sound more organic and warm, than it's digital cousin. That said, digital is more precise, flexible and can do all kings of crazy stuff..including the looper function (which is most cool BTW.) Personally, I would get the DD7 first and possibly later on add an analog. As for analog ... you may want to consider the EHX DMM before the CC...even though it's about twice the cost...I think it may be worth it, if you use delay much.

Good Luck.
I am a delay *****, and currently I run a DD20 and a Danoelectro Reel Echo on my board. I also have a Ross Analog Delay, but it is getting some TLC before it goes back on the board.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I'm not much of a delay freak. I want to have the option of adding it. It's fun to mess around with, but my mains tyle of music doesn't require tons of it.

I'm going to get the DD-7 for sure, just because I'd like to have the option and flexibility if I need it.

Thanks homies
Blackstar HT-5