Page 1 of 2
Well, its been a year since I started this project, but it should be getting done within the next month A lot of help comes from my dad, as he's a skilled craftsman along with being a skilled electrician. I originally decided to build this just to get back into guitar, as I've had one for 9 years or so, but am not a terribly skilled player.

So what the hell, a seven string. Since this is the first experience I had modding or making anything involving a guitar I went the hard route and decided I had to make a custom body shape, so sorry to everyone who will go "OMg U Shud h4ve d0n [fill in blank]". When I make another guitar I'll think about using a "stock" shape of someone elses design. This was made to be my guitar, it was made in my way, and its diffrent then any other build I've ever seen. I'm a good ways into the project, but this will still only get updated when I get a chance to work. Sorry, I'm not to consitant. Onto the specs?

25.5 inch scale 7 string
Sperzel locking tuners (2+5 pattern)
Graphite nut
Rockmonkey pickups (a classic, single, and a 2face. Overwound)
HSH + Peizo
Maple neck (13 degree headstock angle, cherry cover)
Ebony fretboard
Mahogany body
Maple top
Hartail Carvin bridge

Wiring: Will update with full diagram when I get all my questions answered. I'll have the questions for wiring at the bottom of the page.

Pics- I apologize, my camera sucks, and I cant take pictures for crap. everything looks better in real life, I promise.

truss rod (U shape, double action) into maple for neck.

cherry headstock cover before cut

Fretboard pic (unradiused, no inlay) on neck

Neck (unshaped) with fretboard ontop. headstock cut in. cherry placed on.

radiusing the fretboard. 11inch radius.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Cutting off and moving down part of the top so I didnt run into any major problems with knots in the wood.

Glueing on the fretboard

Couple of the headstock (closer up)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/infernoinferno/LaGuitarra022.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/infernoinferno/LaGuitarra024.jpg

The only inlay (besides side inlays)

Interesting story here. I had the inlay cut in with a laser cutter at a local place that does that kinda stuff to make trophy's normally. I was happy, i thought it would be professionally done. The roman numeral 17 was supposed to be on the 17th fret. The lady said she had played guitar, and i marked the fret with a sticky note. Its on the 16th fret. upside down. But, what can you do? The inlay is filled with white car touch up paint. the surface is slightly cracked, and it took a week, but it dried hard as a rock.

Shaping the back of the neck - Used a belt sander attacked to a table to do this. Just used the rounded end of the belt sander and went up and down until it got to the size I found comfertable. It was huge though, so later we had to build a jig so it would sit flat, and me and my dad took a umm... sider saw? and cut off an eight of an inch row by row by row. then I re sanded the back using the same method. bottom link shows me hand sanding.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/infernoinferno/027_37A.jpg

original peice of burl maple top wood, in diffrent lightings-

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/infernoinferno/LaGuitarra003.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/infernoinferno/LaGuitarra002.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/infernoinferno/LaGuitarra001.jpg
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Magohany after being cut to bodyshape, and having the proper things cut in. I'm making it a three layer guitar, with the entire back coming off for wiring. The switches are because I'm a versitility *****. they will be on the side though, so they will remain unseen. The wholes are for one push-pull pot, and three concentrics. again, I'm a versatility *****.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/infernoinferno/LaGuitarra005.jpg

Test fitting recessed bridge, used router to do that. its some exact measurement in, just like everything else on the guitar, like .132 inches or something. Nothing came out perfect with anyhting, but we have a dial caliper so it was no big deal.

Cutting in of the top for the pickups. all pickups must be pushed both in and out with how close they fit. cut to spproximate size, then filed down on all edges. using a scrollsaw for the cutting.

The cutout guitar, with three screw spots added to keep all peices together until the top and middle are glued together, and the last peice has its screw spots added.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I got a power band sander, and used the nose part to carve the back and top. I'll do more on the top after the screw spots are cut off, as I think the horn with all the switches in it needs some. I'm going to keep it pretty minimal though with top carving. I hadnt planned on doing it at all, but meh. The guitar is very comfortable. I'm not going to go on about how its the most comfy guitar ever, but I'm not going to have any problem playing it for any extended amount of time, and it fits me despite the huge body.

Heres the guitar with the neck being put on perfectly straight with a laser level and stuff.

All three peices of the body seperated and on the floor of the workroom. (my dads rc airplane room. its why he has so much random sweet tools, he builds them from scratch.)

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
A scrap bit of the top peice, with danish oil and a coat of lacquer on it. sorry for the pic quality, but the grain is seeable at least.

Scap peices of Mahogany I stained and put a coat of lacquer on. I need to figure out what color to make the mahogany on my guitar. I'm really looking for suggestions herre, though I would like to limit it to stains and things that show the grain. Caberet, Expresso, and black cherry stains tested so far.

There. Thats all the pics. now onto my wiring questions-

1) I want to include both a Series/off/parrallel switch and a coil split on the same pickup, assuming I use the wiring for a series/split/parrallel switch and just make it a on/off/on switch how would I do this? Connect the white and red wires to the pot after the switch, or just the red, or what?

2)My peizo has a 9v preamp (mintbox). Can I safely have the piezo on and the pickups on at the same time, or will the current ruin my pickups?.

3)reserved for when I figure out how to ask how to wire my damn peizo, assuming i cant get it on my own.

What my wiring is going to do, in a nutshell- I'm having two channels, each channel with a volume and a tone of its own. Right now I'm selecting the channels each pickup goes into with an individual switch for each pickup sending it to either the top channel or bottom. I like this, as it'll allow me to either put my pickups together or blend them individually. Both humbuckers I want to have a coilsplit on, along with a switch to put them in series/off/parallel. The neck humbucker will have a solo switch (will remove without any regrets if I need a spot for another switch), and the humbucker at the bridge will have an out of phase switch. The middle single coil only has a switch that either sends it to one of the channels or turns it off.

The peizo will use the push-pull to either turn the 9v on or off, or to turn the peizo on or off. I dont know if its possible to do both with that one push-pull, but regardless the option i dont choose will be on another switch anyway. The peizo will have its own volume, and I'll use a switch to switch between .27/.47 tone caps, or something like that.

4) Last question, I promise. Will this work in theory? Or do i need to dedicate an individual switch to turning each channel off and on before it connects to the jack? I'm assuming i can just connect all the volumes wires to the jack at the same time, is this correct, or am I crazy?

Any help that can be given I'm very greatful for. This is a huge diagram, I'm just trying to get it perfect before I actually have to wire it. Once some of these questions get answered I'll put of peices of the diagram for people to correct/look at.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Last edited by C/ruel at Jul 10, 2008,
10,049 words is too many for one post apparently, along with 20 pics or so.

Meh, comments can come now

The only thing I ask is that critisism remains constructive. I chose what I did for a reason, and any "ZOMG U SHUD HAVE DONE A IBEANZ" will be ignored. it was custome all the way, or go home for me this project.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
That does look pretty damn cool, but it's a real shame about the inlay.

What was the significance of the 17th fret? Sorry to be some kind of ignoramus.
I strated at 16, and planed on having it done by my eighteenth birthday, so sometime while I had been 17 it would be completed. I can protend that I wanted it on the sixteenth fret because I guess it ties in somehow. Meh. I'm 18 now anyway, a number I plan on putting on the headstock on the back with something (or my birthday in roman numerals), cant decid.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
that looks like a REALLY cool guitar, mate. looking forward to see the final result
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
You should have taken the fretboard back and smacked the woman across the face with it. If she's that stupid she has it coming. The rest of the build looks good though, it should come out looking pretty badass.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by Dog454
You should have taken the fretboard back and smacked the woman across the face with it. If she's that stupid she has it coming. The rest of the build looks good though, it should come out looking pretty badass.

+1

how much did you pay her for the inlay?

i hope you say zero.....
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Last in stock off ebay. The top made me happy too . I can look up the store name if you wish, though except for that one particular peice none of the rest of what they had at the time was all that amazing.

The laser cutting was $25. I was pissed, but someone's going to actually have to care to count out the frets to notice its off. It adds personality, blah blah blah. I wanted to hit them hard, but gaboon ebony isnt the easiest to find cheap, and I was already over budget by that point anyway.

Oh, and Cord is amazing for his customer service. The first batch of pickups I ordered got lost in the mail somewhere, so he sent me a second set with no extra cost involved. Great for help too on just about anything.

And I apologize for my grammar skills today, sometimes I'm on, sometimes I'm off. It happens. Today is just an off day

But no, I'm never going there again.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Thats an intence build! Cant say I like the body, but the burl looks great and its a 7 string cant wait to see how all those switches pan out.

I wouldnt have paid for that inlay though, she should have done it right

on the upside atleast it now spells HAX which made me laugh

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
beautiful lovely warm burl maple and a satanic axe from hell shape. weird oxymoron
That's a very interesting guitar. Just tell people the inlay says HAX.
Best top wood I've seen on a build. Your body style isn't usually my thing, but it looks very good with that heavily burled top!
Its been awhile. Sadly it will also be awhile longer until my next update, as my parents sprung on me the idea that I need to go on vacation with them until next week.

Still dont know what color I'm going to do the mahogany. Or how the hell I'm going to draw a diagram for this thing.

Anyway, Frets after pressing in-

And the headstock with tuners. Dont worry, the "dings" this picture seems to show in the cherry arent really there, and I also have a cherry coverplate to go over the truss rod cavity opening that I'll get to shape eventually.

EDIT: And I think I'll skip the lacquer on this project. I'll just use linseed oil for the neck, and danish oil on the body. I'll still stain the mahogany. I just cant say I see the point of going through the hassel with lacquer on this guitar.
Last edited by C/ruel at Aug 1, 2008,
man, everything looks great, but i can't believe you're letting that inlay flub go as easy as you are. honestly, they should at the very least have refunded you your $25, and if i were you i would've asked for them to reimburse you for the wood they ruined with their carelessness. thats just bad business practices there if you ask me.

moving on, that thing is a beast man! def. one of the most original builds anyone has ever done, good luck on getting this thing done! and if you ask me, i'd do the mahogany in a deep red stain (think gibson sg red)
That is amazing man O.O

Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Its been awhile. School has started, and things got slowed down even more then usual. But I have some updates. My list of things to do is getting a lot smaller. I only have this left before I'm finished-

Put one more screw in the back
Polish some frets
finish truss rod cover
Sand 2 more edges
General sanding
Oil everything
Electronics
Testing and final adjustments.

Should have it done by Christmas. Hopefully.

Anyway- Pic of the posts put into the guitar, and of the uncovered switch cavity.

Blurry pictures of what the switch cavity actually looks like-

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/infernoinferno/LaGuitarra041.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/infernoinferno/LaGuitarra040.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/infernoinferno/LaGuitarra038.jpg

Front view of the guitar now w/bridge on-

Back view w/cat

Nut after being cut in using a jug and a bandsaw. .022 clearance on bass side, decreasing by .002 each string until a .010 clearance on treble string.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/infernoinferno/LaGuitarra032.jpg
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Now, as far as paint goes I only have one thing I really need help with. I am debating between dyeing the sides of the guitar black (only the mahogany) with India ink, or just leaving the sides like the rest of the guitar, completely natural.

I'm going to ask for wiring help over on pg. hopefully they can help. feel free to help here if you can or want to though.

EDIT: Its getting strung with .11-.60's by the way. 11-49's plus a .60
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Last edited by C/ruel at May 21, 2011,
Could you please go into detail about all those controls in the upper horn of this beast.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Switch control panel

-Neck pickup options- (Always set to circuit one)
Series/off/parallel
Solo switch (may need it for something else)

-Middle pickup-
On (upper circuit)/off/On (lower circuit)

-Bridge pickup-
Series/off/parallel
Upper circuit/lower circuit
Phase switch

Peizo on/peizo off
peizo tone
9v on (may include LEDs in the upper horn, so I can tell where the switches are when its dark)

thats all for switches- Potentiometers

Push-pull volume for piezo. possibly the pull option will be a 9v preamp germanium diode distortion.

Volume/Tone concentric for circuit one
Volume/tone concentric for circuit two

Coilsplit neck/Coilsplit bridge concentric. If I can, otherwise I'll turn it into the distortion/something else.

Basically, wiring is going to be a mess. lol Should be pretty sweet when it's done though.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Ah yes. Finally. The monster breathes

Few problems with the finish, but nothing major. It sure it shiny though. Shiny enough I'm having problems getting flat pictures that really show how much the grain popped.

Headstock suffers most from this. Looks great in person though.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

the back

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Nekcs no more then an inch thick anywhere. Not thin, but not thick. Good sized D shape.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
There. Finally full frontals

Few wiring problems, but nothing thats anything more then anoying. The peizo is a pain to get working correctly though. Meh. Great action. >Millimeter at 24th fret with no string buzz. I enjoy it. Gald its finally done.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Sorry about some of the blurrying. My camera's a bit sensitive on all areas, and I had to quick snap most of these. You should be able to get the point though.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Nice result with the finish, shame about the inlay though. Every time I see it I read "HAX" instead of 17.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
looks good, not digging some of the sharp points on that neck joint though.

cool design!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Neck joint has to be worked down. That back piece is just temporary until I can find a chrome one. That will fit a little better. The joint itself looks bigger, but is actually shorter then what the standard neck joint is.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Holy crap, i want that burl.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Page 1 of 2