I've been recording my vocals through my M-audio mobilePRE usb with a cheap SM58 knockoff forever, and decided to upgrade a bit and bought a Rode NT-1A. My interface has phantom power, so I figured I'd be set for the new condenser mic.

The problem, is the recordings this mic are pretty terrible/quiet/noisy in comparison to my cheap SM58 knockoff. What gives?! Is there something I'm just not aware of that I should be doing?

Thanks
How is the room itself? Maybe the microphone's picking up noises that you haven't realized with the SM58 knockoff.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
How is the room itself? Maybe the microphone's picking up noises that you haven't realized with the SM58 knockoff.

I suppose that's a possibility, however it's more or less noise associated with large amounts of gain, rather than random nuances and buzz that you'd hear in a room. It's a fairly quiet room.

Also, the voice is coming in pretty quietly, even with crazy amounts of gain.
That sounds strange, with that mic you should be experiencing a lot better recordings.

Perhaps you have a faulty mic.
There is poetry in despair.
I'm also under that impression. It's got me spun for a loop. There's nothing, besides switching on phantom power, that I need to be doing?
yea sounds strange to me as well. Can you return the mic for another one?
if so I would probably try that.

also wire your mics with phantom power turned off. This is a safety step so you dont mess up your mics and such...
I ordered off of Musician's Friend into Canada, so there were lots of customs and shipping charges. Would those get reimbursed if I returned, does anybody know?

I did wire them with the phantom power off. I took special care to read the manual and follow it's steps, no matter how redundant it seemed.
The MobilePRE might have a very low phantom power level, and is having trouble providing enough to get the Rode up to operational levels. Make sure they are listed as +48v
Quote by yatta
I ordered off of Musician's Friend into Canada, so there were lots of customs and shipping charges. Would those get reimbursed if I returned, does anybody know?

I did wire them with the phantom power off. I took special care to read the manual and follow it's steps, no matter how redundant it seemed.

In my experience, no they wouldn't reimburse freight charges. If I were you I would most definatly try it through another set up before drawing the conclusion that its a faulty mic. If you don't have any friends with recording equipment, go into your local music shop and say you're interested in trying out a hard disk recorder, and you want to see how they sound through you're mic.
yea you can also get a multi meter and test the output level of the mic jack to see if its putting out 48 volts.

Going to a local store and testing the mic out there is also another good idea.
Last few posts are completely right.

Test it on different systems, test your system, and might I add test with another mic cable?

You have to ascertain with all certainty that it is the microphone before sending it back.

These may be stupid questions, but are you sure that you did turn phantom on? Also, are you singing loudly? Have you tried recording in the second channel?