Yeah global warming etc. I believe it is happening, but this is not the point of the thread.

The point is: Do you think we should conserve energy, regardless of whether global warming is real or not? Think about it.
1) Using less energy COSTS LESS.
2) Buying a more fuel efficient car COSTS LESS.
3) Having your corporation use less plastic in their products COSTS LESS.
4) Walking instead of driving COSTS LESS.
5) Conserving fossil fuels not only consumes LESS of the limited resource, but gives us CLEANER AIR.
6) ...yeah I can't think of anything more.

Regardless of global warming being a scam or not, shouldn't we conserve?
Yeah, that's kind of how I felt about this thread in general.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

yeah, but it's really not so simple just using less resources. It's taken us years to get to this point of dependancy on oil and other resources, and it will take us years to get off of it.
don't give the topic starter such a hard time, they are only trying to start a discussion on an important topic
Global warming is real, I don't like George Bush's view on that at first he was for reducing energy usage to stop the speed of global warming and then he denied it even exists. I think those things you listed should be done but in reality they won't be done, i mean for example, say you go to a gig, imagine how much energy is used for that? And no one wants to conserve energy by not seeing their favourite bands play so its not really gonna happen.

Eventually global warming will cause the ice caps to melt > earth floods > ice age happens because damaged ozone layer can't keep heat trapped inside the earth's atmosphere > potentially life will start again after the ice age millions and milions of years later with new species of animals that are adapted to the new conditions of earth > evolution occurs again etc. etc.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Yes. The biggest misconception about this issue is that it will be costly to change, while in reality it will save us LOTS of money and energy. It will be almost exclusively beneficial. Our current methods are anything but efficient. Efficient is better. People are SO petrified of losing even a fraction of their materialistic luxuries and indulgences, however, that the only true solution (better efficiency) is one that they want to reserve for plan B.

Thus, we have the idea of drilling our own lands/water for MORE oil, which is the equivalent of cleaning up your room by cramming everything under your bed. However, because of our slowness to develop other practical energy sources, it has actually become somewhat necessary to drill our own waters, to buy enough time to integrate renewable energy sources - which currently are all inadequate, I might add. Although most people seem to view it as a permanent solution which will facilitate no change, which is what people want. And it is absolutely foolish to think that we will go through life without seeing major changes regarding this issue. MAJOR changes.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Yes. The biggest misconception about this issue is that it will be costly to change, while in reality it will save us LOTS of money and energy. It will be almost exclusively beneficial. Our current methods are anything but efficient. Efficient is better. People are SO petrified of losing even a fraction of their materialistic luxuries and indulgences, however, that the only true solution (better efficiency) is one that they want to reserve for plan B.

Thus, we have the idea of drilling our own lands/water for MORE oil, which is the equivalent of cleaning up your room by cramming everything under your bed. However, because of our slowness to develop other practical energy sources, it has actually become somewhat necessary to drill our own waters, to buy enough time to integrate renewable energy sources - which currently are all inadequate, I might add. Although most people seem to view it as a permanent solution which will facilitate no change, which is what people want. And it is absolutely foolish to think that we will go through life without seeing major changes regarding this issue. MAJOR changes.

I don't see how it can't be costly to change. Think of all the products that aremade from oil. Not just gasoline, but all plastics too. Of course, we need to change, but i don't think you can say that it will be easy or cheap.
Quote by Spamwise
I don't see how it can't be costly to change. Think of all the products that aremade from oil. Not just gasoline, but all plastics too. Of course, we need to change, but i don't think you can say that it will be easy or cheap.

The products that are made from oil? How about our society? We are living in the 'Oil Age,' aren't we? All the same, the changes that need to be made will make everything more efficient. Ask any business man and they'll tell you better efficiency = more money/productivity. Like I said, our current means are inadequate. There are a lot of new, amazing technologies that will certainly facilitate the change, but what we still need is a true replacement for oil.

We need something that will work in our current engines. Otherwise, no changes made will be enough to save us over time - simply because we don't have time. We need a replacement for oil that will work in our current engines, generators, materials, factories, planes, and everything else, very soon.

But we use so much oil right now to due what it does. Once we have more efficient alternatives - again, keyword efficient - we WILL save lots of energy and productivity. There's really not a whole lot to be explained here. More efficient = less costly. It's quite simple.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
The products that are made from oil? How about our society? We are living in the 'Oil Age,' aren't we? All the same, the changes that need to be made will make everything more efficient. Ask any business man and they'll tell you better efficiency = more money/productivity. Like I said, our current means are inadequate. There are a lot of new, amazing technologies that will certainly facilitate the change, but what we still need is a true replacement for oil.

We need something that will work in our current engines. Otherwise, no changes made will be enough to save us over time - simply because we don't have time. We need a replacement for oil that will work in our current engines, generators, materials, factories, planes, and everything else, very soon.

But we use so much oil right now to due what it does. Once we have more efficient alternatives - again, keyword efficient - we WILL save lots of energy and productivity. There's really not a whole lot to be explained here. More efficient = less costly. It's quite simple.

Right, but just because the alternatives are there doesn't mean we can just switch without cost. It will definitely be cheaper after we completely adjust, but as you said we are living in the "oil age". As I said, it took us a long time and countless dollars to get to where we are now. It won't be easy to just undo that.
Quote by Spamwise
yeah, but it's really not so simple just using less resources. It's taken us years to get to this point of dependancy on oil and other resources, and it will take us years to get off of it.

exactly
Quote by Spamwise
Right, but just because the alternatives are there doesn't mean we can just switch without cost. It will definitely be cheaper after we completely adjust, but as you said we are living in the "oil age". As I said, it took us a long time and countless dollars to get to where we are now. It won't be easy to just undo that.

Well that's why we need a direct replacement for oil. Something that works just like oil does but is more efficient. It's a tall order but I don't think we can do without it. There are some sources that some people claim can do this, such as hydrogen. But it's inconclusive.

And I'd just like to point out, while I'm posting about this topic, that I think it's interesting that the only actual concrete evidence we have of all this, concrete as in evidence that WE see and are affected by as people, are the prices. I'm not sure exactly if that means anything, but there seems to be some significance about that to me. Just throwing that out there.
We're only strays.
It's true we've been on oil forever, but shouldn't we at least be trying to adapt to other sources of energy? It seems most of America is just ignoring the problem. One of the water bottle companies now use 30% less plastic, which is good, and it seems a few other companies are following in it's foot steps.
But those are just water bottles. Cars. Honda made that Hybrid car and GM does the E-85 thing. Why aren't other companies moving to other sources of energy? If everyone hates gas prices so much, why are there still so many SUVs on the road? I know some people need the large vehicles for transporting materials if they are remodeling their house or something, but why spend all that money on gas if you're a 20 year old BRAHHHH driving pickup that gets 17 mi/gal just to go to your friends house? I know I'm gonna do my best not to drive often when I turn 16, and when possible, I'm getting motorcylce.
There is that Blue Sky shipping company that uses 100% vegetable oils or something of that like for their fuels. That's good.

But it seems the majority isn't doing much to conserve. Energy conservationists need a more powerful leader. Too bad Al Gore isn't president, though he's kind of retarded.
Say the pubic wants to conserve. Will the high power, wealthy individuals "waste" their money just to conserve? Who cares about the environment when you're making SO much money in the energy & oil industry?
Last edited by RPGoof at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by smb
Hybrid cars are currently worse for the environment than other cars

What
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by RPGoof
It's true we've been on oil forever, but shouldn't we at least be trying to adapt to other sources of energy? It seems most of America is just ignoring the problem. One of the water bottle companies now use 30% less plastic, which is good, and it seems a few other companies are following in it's foot steps.
But those are just water bottles. Cars. Honda made that Hybrid car and GM does the E-85 thing. Why aren't other companies moving to other sources of energy? If everyone hates gas prices so much, why are there still so many SUVs on the road? I know some people need the large vehicles for transporting materials if they are remodeling their house or something, but why spend all that money on gas if you're a 20 year old BRAHHHH driving pickup that gets 17 mi/gal just to go to your friends house?
There is that Blue Sky shipping company that uses 100% vegetable oils or something of that like for their fuels. That's good.

But it seems the majority isn't doing much to conserve.

People don't want to sacrifice anything. They want this problem to be fixed quietly by someone else, they don't want anything to really change but they want the problem to magically go away. It's quite pathetic. That's why I'm actually fine with oil prices going up, because I know at some point it's finally going to get through to people that they need to know what's really going on, and they need to stop ignoring it. Still, most people will view simply drilling for more oil as the only solution. The ignorance about this issue is appalling.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Well that's why we need a direct replacement for oil. Something that works just like oil does but is more efficient. It's a tall order but I don't think we can do without it. There are some sources that some people claim can do this, such as hydrogen. But it's inconclusive.

And I'd just like to point out, while I'm posting about this topic, that I think it's interesting that the only actual concrete evidence we have of all this, concrete as in evidence that WE see and are affected by as people, are the prices. I'm not sure exactly if that means anything, but there seems to be some significance about that to me. Just throwing that out there.

That would be one of the most important discoveries of modern times, for sure. I am personally not educated enough in this to say whether that is possible or not, so I will just cross my fingers.

Well yeah, but for something like this you don't really need "evidence". Adapting to a new source of energy requires everything that has been built to run on oil to be rebuilt. I think that when you take a situation like that, you don't need evidence to know that it will take a massive amount of money. I would call it a very smart investment, though.

If everyone hates gas prices so much, why are there still so many SUVs on the road?

Because most people aren't able to just go buy new cars because it's better for the environment. Cars aren't cheap. When you take that fact and pair it with the fact that more money has to be spent on gas, most people are less and less able to afford new and more efficient cars.

Plus some car maker is offering $2.99 a gallon gas for the first three years if people buy big SUVs or trucks.
I'm buying a hummer and I'm going to actually make it less efficient on gas, and leaks, so that I can make up for the people buying hybrids and sniffing their own farts...

I've heard that in several long term road tests with hybrids, that the amount of time it takes to make extra cost equal to the fuel saved makes it not actually worth, except for in the case of the hybrid Colorado. So you only do it to be green or to be a pompous ass, which is what EVERYONE who owns a Prius acts like.

I don't care. If I can afford it, I'm goign to drive a cool car until the hybrids start to get less expensive and better looking. Prius=
Quote by RPGoof
oh rilly
How so?
Quote by tr3nt
What
The chemicals and energy they use making a Prius or something make it worse for the environment than just getting a Range Rover or something.
You could just get a smart car. Significatly cheaper than a hybrid, and it gets amazing gas mileage too. Just hope you don't get in a crash.