I use a Mex Fender P bass at the moment with quarter pounders pickups.
I play in heavyish band,
we sound a but like evanescence crossed with slipknot. Female clean vocals only but slipknot guitar style if that makes sense.
Anyway on some of our heavier songs my bass just is not enough and I need something with a bit more thump.
I love my fender but would like to try and stay away from them for my next bass.
and I have no plans to put new pick-ups in my P bass because I love the sound I get.
I use some overdrive as well within my mix. Any ideas around £500.
used Warwick Corvette, maybe?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
used Warwick Corvette, maybe?

read some bad reviews on that.
Quote by jayoel
read some bad reviews on that.

Warwicks are good or bad tending on what you like, and have an unusual feel. I suggest you play one before you go off on what someone you don't know tells you. I recall a thing telling me that a certain Behringer amp I was unfortunate enough to buy was the most reliable thing so and sos ever played.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I agree with the corvette recommendation. Its a different kind of beast so you should try it before you buy it.

Don't listen to all the reviews you see.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
I third the corvette. Get the all-active one used, if possible. You'll get some ridiculous growl for that kind of music.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by KKING911
I agree with the corvette recommendation. Its a different kind of beast so you should try it before you buy it.

Don't listen to all the reviews you see.

That's the kind of thinking when purchasing ANY kind of bass. TS, just get out there, find loads of basses in your budget and try them. If you're going to spend £500 on a bass, you must have an idea of what you're looking for.
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
what are you playing out of?

my personal amp 150watt line 6.

Pro tools is used more though with built in effects and headphones.

but for gigs I tend to use no amp and use DI and use ear monitors though I have boss overdrive pedal in my mix

Also what can people tell me about musicman and the differanes apart from price between sub and stringray was looking into them.
Last edited by jayoel at Jul 11, 2008,
sub was just a cheaper version of the stingray that was made.

still good quality though.

just stay away from any passive SUBs you may find, only get an active one if one at all.
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
sub was just a cheaper version of the stingray that was made.

still good quality though.

just stay away from any passive SUBs you may find, only get an active one if one at all.

sound wise whats the differance with some other basses the sound wise its pretty much the same but build quality and look is better with the price differance.
Quote by jayoel
my personal amp 150watt line 6.

That is possibly your problem, Line 6 bass amps are pretty crappy and your have too little wattage, your bass is fine, you need a new amp. A 300 Watt Hartke or Ashdown will increase the tone and thump ten-fold
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
That is possibly your problem, Line 6 bass amps are pretty crappy and your have too little wattage, your bass is fine, you need a new amp. A 300 Watt Hartke or Ashdown will increase the tone and thump ten-fold

I have to partially agree here. Only because i'm not sure if you're saying that your bass isn't cutting through the mix enough or if you just aren't getting the sound you want.

I will fourth the corvette though. I would die for a 6-string corvette.

The Corvette and Stingray are know for their characteristic tone though. So don't expect versatility with those basses.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
As much as I love Warwicks, their 5 and 6 strings string-spacing just doesn't make sense. It's beyond tight - and the broadneck, available on certain models, is too ridiculously wide. The tighter string spacing probably dictates better technique (a lighter touch), but for me, I'm just tiptoeing too much. 4-strings are great though - it's just a shame I have to tune mine BEAD. Still, just one fret less than a 5-string Fender. Except for my 5-string Fender. Anyway...

Warwicks are Warwicks, and nobody's going to say anything different. Love the feel or hate the feel/are crazy, they were designed that way and absolutely nobody is going to complain about their solidity. They're top of the line - if you enjoy the feel. It'd be hard not to recommend one in that situation, however, active electronics on any bass are key.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
u could try high end ibanez and Esp Ltd basses. very versatile, great for metal, can definately cope with the slipknot guitar parts.

i agree with the amp dude as well, the amp dictates alot of ur tone. try both amps and basses before you buy.
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
The amp though is not used for gigs as I use a straight DI for that with overdrive,
so its really down to the bass right ?
I only really use the line 6 for home use only.
Most of the time its DI straight to PA. and I use in ears monitors.
Quote by jayoel
The amp though is not used for gigs as I use a straight DI for that with overdrive,
so its really down to the bass right ?
I only really use the line 6 for home use only.
Most of the time its DI straight to PA. and I use in ears monitors.

well is the problem that you're not cutting through the mix or you don't like your tone?
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Funkbass796
well is the problem that you're not cutting through the mix or you don't like your tone?

Maybe a bit of both, I like the tone and most time I cut through the mix but on the heavier songs its sounds Like my bass needs more power if that makes sense.
Quote by thefitz
As much as I love Warwicks, their 5 and 6 strings string-spacing just doesn't make sense. It's beyond tight - and the broadneck, available on certain models, is too ridiculously wide. The tighter string spacing probably dictates better technique (a lighter touch), but for me, I'm just tiptoeing too much. 4-strings are great though - it's just a shame I have to tune mine BEAD. Still, just one fret less than a 5-string Fender. Except for my 5-string Fender. Anyway...

I don't find the spacing tight on my 5 string at all. Unless you have really fat fingers, I can't see how you struggle with it after a day or two of playing on one. In my opinion, theonly way you could negatively review a Warwick is if you don't try before you buy, and hate the feel.

And to TS, a new amp is what you need. You have a very punchy and powerful bass, but not an amp to match.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1