Edit: Wow, I feel stupid. I always mix up forums when I post here. Can a mod or someone move this to the 'Electric Guitar' forum please - unless it actually belongs here.

Edit 2: Okay, I hate to repost the exact same thing but I am going to repost this under the Electric Guitar forum because I know I'll get more responses and this hasn't been moved yet. Some of your posts have helped but I would like more input.

I need a little help. I posted on another forum so I'm going to quote my other post.

I found a great looking Strat style Washburn for $50. I can't find this actual guitar anywhere where else and it has a custom inlay. I don't know anything about Washburn and I can't find anything. The owner doesn't know the model but he said it was from the Pro series. I couldn't find a 'pro' series but I found an X series by Washburn and the 3 or so guitars that were called Pro X were all over $1000.

However, comparing pictures it seems to fall under one guitar and not one of the 'Pro' X guitars. Here are some pictures of the custom Washburn:

If I do pay $50 shipping to Canada will be another $50. A nameless head is also unpromising. However, there is something unreadable in the pic. inscribed on the back plate.

This guitar is also made of walnut with a maple neck. So, here is where my dilemma is also. Comparing it with some of the Washburns (by their bridge and such) I think it is either this: $719.90 (Maple or rosewood fingerboard) http://www.washburn.com/products/electrics/x/x33.aspx

Or some other unlisted Washburn.

As you can tell I'm really quite picky and even though it's $50 (technically $100 or so) I want to make sure it's a good quality guitar. I want to collect a bit but right now if the guitar is completely crap I don't want to add it to a starting collection. I'm hoping to use it as even a side guitar because it's a pain to change tunings with a JEM (damn double-locking system).

tl;dr? Buy or no buy for $50ish? Also some input on whether Washburn guitars are good or not would be great.

Edit: Parts of the guitar look like they are made of really low quality pieces...
Last edited by Andie_dog2 at Jul 10, 2008,
washburns are good starter guitar def leppard and anthrax uses them
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
i say do it...cant go wrong with a $100 guitar. my first guitar cost me 125, and after i changed the pickups it's almost as good as the $850 schecter i got for my graduation present
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Vintage Fender Princedon Chorus 20W amp
it says nothing on the headstock... cant be a washburn. companies LOVE putting their names on stuff.

EDIT:

I would stilll buy it.

EDIT EDIT:
hah. i was thinking. inlays are fairly difficult to do. that alone would make it worth it. PLUS i love HSH pickup config. buy it now!
Last edited by 51VH50 at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by vamprocker
washburns are good starter guitar def leppard and anthrax uses them

They are not just starters...>.<

And the Def Leppard guy was dropped. But still that is an incredible find. I'll send my friend who works at washburn a link of this, he may be able to find out more.
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
They are not just starters...>.<

And the Def Leppard guy was dropped. But still that is an incredible find. I'll send my friend who works at washburn a link of this, he may be able to find out more.

See, I had never heard of them before so I thought they might be starters... I'm way beyond new to guitar (I have a JEM if that helps >_> but I love the inlay and I guess it would be easy to customize. :P

Edit: Wow, I misread somehow and I thought you said they WERE starters. But yeah, I'm more than likely going to pick this beauty up.

Edit 2: Okay, I hate to repost the exact same thing but I am going to repost this under the Electric Guitar forum because I know I'll get more responses. Some of your posts have helped but I would like more input.
Last edited by Andie_dog2 at Jul 10, 2008,
we have a nice washburn hollowbody at jazz class and it cost a pretty penny
Quote by divinecrossfire

step 7: run out the door towards your buddy and turn off the lights, all whilst fapping furiously with one hand, doing the "princess diana wave" with the other, and screaming "THEN WE SHALL FIGHT IN THE DARK!!!!!"
that...looks...amazing...

usually if its a washburn it would be written on the head, but its not..
but that still looks amazing, and for 100 only!!
if you cant play it atleast put it on for display!!!
haha jk,

but seriously, that still looks amazing
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by akm_202
that...looks...amazing...

usually if its a washburn it would be written on the head, but its not..
but that still looks amazing, and for 100 only!!
if you cant play it atleast put it on for display!!!
haha jk,

but seriously, that still looks amazing

I was thinking about the head too but since this is a custom inlay the guy who did the inlay could have sanded off the head's logo and put the star (I couldn't find a Washburn with stars on the frets too so this whole thing might be custom) - also the guy selling it didn't say anything else but the info. I gave...
is it posibble to ask the guy whats written on the back plate of the body (the metal bit near the neck of the 3rd picture) usually it says washburn there too and i dont think you are able to sand metal off that easily..
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
I'm guessing that's not really a Washburn guitar, but I rekon it could be. What tells me it's not is the shape of the headstock. That's a classic Fender shape, but Washburn has their own unique headstock shape to their strat style guitars. That shaped neck can be bought separately. Plus, I haven't seen Washburns use string trees before either. Those are the two metal hooks that are screwed onto the face of the headstock that the DGBe strings hook under. Actually, that entire guitar can be purchased from various places in parts, decorated up with all the inlay work and assembled. But for $50 bucks, what the hell? Go for it. I rather like the way it looks. Any chance you can try it before you buy it?
And FYI, only Martin has been around longer than Washburn has(in respect to guitars, not other instruments, or foreign guitar mfrs either). They started up in 1885. My mom has a Washburn mandolin dated 1897. I'm trying to talk her into giving it to me, but she's fairly attached to the thing. She's had it since she was a little girl, like 6 or so. She's 88 now.