Hey people.

Lately when I have been playing, whenever I would mute a note after playing it and move onto another string, the string before the one I started playing on would start vibrating/humming.

My explanation is crap, so here is an example.

I am playing Paranoid by Black Sabbath. I play E (799) 3 times, and then when I go to play those hammer-ons that go "A7h9-D7h9-A7h9-D7h9" The first string (E) starts vibrating and making this really annoying humming noise.

What are ways to either prevent this or stop this? Ususally when I play the power chords (in example) I push my pointer finger up a little bit against that string to mute that string, but I am not sure if the releasing of my finger causes it.

I might be answering my own noob-question, but I am not sure. I need your opinion
since nobody replied..

maybe your frets are buzzing it?
thats when the string touches your frets and makes it buzz
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
either ur finger and/or pickhand is touching the other string in some way or u kind of pulled it off after you muted it.

i sometimes do the same thing in muting the upper string with my index while playing on the lower strings. if you hit it a certain way you could be makin a harmonic sound.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Alright people

I tried again this morning, but this time without my finger muting the first string. The string still vibrated, even when I didn't touch it at all.

I think the frets are buzzing it, but I don't know how to prevent that but I will try just keeping the tips of my fingers farther away from the first string.

If you know how to prevent the frets from buzzing it, please post.
Learn to mute?

Part of playing guitar well is being able to keep the damn thing quiet. All that pluckin and motion; youre bound to have some residual vibration on adjacent strings. I have the same issue (more noticable at higher volumes). Just got to deal with it, or should I say, learn how to deal with it (palm/finger mutes).
are you even touching the string when it vibrates? its either your string/action/fret buzz or pickup. or some combination of that.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Sympathetic vibration - An oscillation produced in an object which resonates at the same frequency, or a harmonic multiple thereof, as that present in a sound wave in contact with the object.

Because you're playing and E note on your A string, it is producing a sympathetic vibration in the adjacent E string.

Gently palm mute the low E so that it doesn't hum, or maybe switch to heavier strings (like I did) to decrease the vibration. More mass means that more energy is required to vibrate the string, so the effect is lessened.

Quote by Freunleven
Sympathetic vibration - An oscillation produced in an object which resonates at the same frequency, or a harmonic multiple thereof, as that present in a sound wave in contact with the object.

Because you're playing and E note on your A string, it is producing a sympathetic vibration in the adjacent E string.

Gently palm mute the low E so that it doesn't hum, or maybe switch to heavier strings (like I did) to decrease the vibration. More mass means that more energy is required to vibrate the string, so the effect is lessened.

yez this

couldnt recall the actual term
Thanks guys I will do the palm muting.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.