Page 1 of 2
Pickups aren't really that important. The amp is much more important.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
wrong. pickups a4
Quote by Kevin Saale
wrong. pickups are very important. yeah an amp is essential to your sound but the base of your sound comes from the pickups
Well, right now I have a Fender Frontman 15 W, but as soon as I could earn the money I would probably get a Crate V16 Palomino or a Fender Blues Junior.
Quote by SynisterSlash92
wrong. pickups are very important. yeah an amp is essential to your sound but the base of your sound comes from the pickups

No one will agree with you. Pickups are where the sound starts but they are no means the base of your sound. The base of your sound is your style and technique. As far as gear goes the amp is the most important part of your sound.
If you don't have a tube amp I wouldn't really bother with pickups.

But if you really want pickups then try some GFS Humbuckers. Right now I just got a Gibson Burstbucker and its great but for 1/4 of the price you can get a GFS pu that sounds almost as good.

For example http://store.guitarfetish.com/crpafhiouhuc.html
Last edited by yoyodunno at Jul 10, 2008,
^Then you can be wrong with him.
Well i mean, i have a ****ty no name guitar that if you put rhough an ibanex half stack you won't get any distortion. not only does it not have distortion, but a good clean tone. But if i plug in my esp, what do you know, it has a ****ing sick sound, both clean and distorted. Yes, amps do have a big impact, but it can go either way depending on the pickups.
Quote by summavilla
Well i mean, i have a ****ty no name guitar that if you put rhough an ibanex half stack you won't get any distortion. not only does it not have distortion, but a good clean tone. But if i plug in my esp, what do you know, it has a ****ing sick sound, both clean and distorted. Yes, amps do have a big impact, but it can go either way depending on the pickups.

That's because it's a crappy ibanez amp.

Case and point: A ****ty guitar (with ****ty pups) will sound good through a great amp. A great guitar (with great pups) will sound like poo through a crappy amp.
Quote by yoyodunno

But if you really want pickups then try some GFS Humbuckers. Right now I just got a Gibson Burstbucker and its great but for 1/4 of the price you can get a GFS pu that sounds almost as good.

do dat^

i had a Frontman and wanted new pickups and most everyone said, wait until you get a better amp!

that is what i did and now i see why. I have the Custom Custom by Duncan.
Quote by Kevin Saale
That's because it's a crappy ibanez amp.

Case and point: A ****ty guitar (with ****ty pups) will sound good through a great amp. A great guitar (with great pups) will sound like poo through a crappy amp.

Thats not what i said, i said my ****ty one sound horrbile through the half stack, and the esp sounds great, same amp, completly different sounds. Anyways im not even gonna argue about this because depending on the situation it really could go either ways.

Edit: oh i misread, but still, a ****ty amp will not sound good throguh a ****ty amp, unless its borderline ****ty, because my crappy one i got for free sounds like complete ****.
Unless there is some electronics issues with a guitar I can almost guarantee that it could sound good through a fairly nice amp.
Its really not much money for gear, you're on the very bottom unfortunately. Honestly, I'd stick with the pups in that guitar since the one you listed there isn't gonna change the tone a lot. I really think with that palo or that BJ you'll be pretty satisfied with the tone you'll get.
I'm afraid with the pick ups that come with it, I'll get too much country twang, and I want hard rock! I would use a pedal of course.
You probably couldn't do hard rock on a Blues Jr without a pedal. Which is fine, but you could pick up a Peavey Classic 30 used for probably less than a Blues Jr, and you wouldn't need a pedal to get the hard rock tones at decent volume levels.

They sell for $400 or even less on ebay all the time.
Quote by yoyodunno

there are some very good solid state and hybrid amps out there. you don't have to have tubes to get good tone......it's just a little tougher. i do agree about upgrading amps. and a tele may not be the best choice if your gonna play metal. look around at some other guitars. maybe a used h/s/s strat or a used epi les paul.
Yeah i know you don't have to have tubes to get good tone, thats not what i said. The ts wants new pickups and new pickups are going to have more of a difference on a tube amp then a ss/hybrid amp.
I'm backin' Kevin Saale on this. Don't bother with new pickups. It's not going to make that big a difference in your tone.

Don't even worry about pickups right now. Get your amp first. In fact, I'd pass on the Palomino and the Blues Junior, and just grab a Peavey Classic 30. I see them going on eBay for under 350, now, shipping included.
After the amp has been purchased, should I get the Telecaster? Could I get hard rock tones with the Tele and a pedal?
Dimarzio Tone Zone T once you get a new amp.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by SynisterSlash92

The amp's far more important - the pickups add a bit of colout but the body of your tone all comes from the amp.

TS, if you're worried about twang than arguably you shouldn't be looking at a telecaster at all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Kevin Saale

Pickups are extremly important. If you have a very good amp but you have muddy pickups your notes aren't going to be as clear and you aren't going to enjoy playing as much. For example I have great pickups in all my guitars. I hardly ever keep stock pickups unless it comes with ones I want. They sound great on my high gain tube amps but when I go to my apartment and play on my little solid state amps and my gearbox it sounds great too. clear and able to write my music. But before I switch the pickups and have the stock pickups even on my gear box and low watt solid state amps its just muddy... hard to write... and hard to deal with. The amp and pickups are two different things. If I wasn't in a band anymore and didnt use high watt amps and was just using my little practice amps id still make sure ive got pickups with a clear output.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

you've got some decent amps. Not the best but would definitley sound better with clear pickups and having your guitar output run through them with a clear signal and all your notes and harmonics coming out.
Sure, pickups affect your sound. Amps shape your sound way more. Save money for your amp, use the spare for pickups. I don't think expensive pickups --> into cheap guitar is a particularly good idea either.. then again you could always pull them out when you upgrade.

Still, listen to the GG&A experts and get a new amp.
If amps are so important, should I still get a Palomino V16 instead of a Fender Blues Junior? If it helps at all, I received an e-mail today notifying me that the Tele I wanted has been sold. I guess I shall start looking at other guitars! There is a great local shop where I live called Ron Busch Guitars! Are any of these good for what I want? I prefer that they're around $300 and under. Craig's List is also good! I can afford any of these: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=guitar&minAsk=min&maxAsk=325
wow - that's a lot of stuff thar in your Craigslist look up but congrats for looking.

I see some PRS guitars and a Dean i wouldn't mind having. Stay away from that Starcaster. Not familiar with the Busch guitars lol.

do a search on electric solid body guitars or Fender Tele or PRS...

and then do another search on Tube Combo amplifiers

I think it is a toss on the Palomino vs Fender. Personally i'd get the Fender if it came down to those two but that is just me.

what is you favorite style of music again? sorry
Rock, alternative, classic rock, and hard rock. Stuff like The White Stripes, Weezer, Priestess, The Strokes, Wolf Mother, etc.
Page 1 of 2