my tone is crap, I have a peavy millennium BXP, it plays pretty nice, body is made of basswood, neck is a little bit squishy (the notes and feel arent crisp) feeling at the fourth fret on the G and D string though.

EDIT: the main problem is my tone is too smooth and muddy and never crisp or defined at all

i love the flamed maple cap and finish, it is beautiful, i kind of want to keep playing this bass, but I am not sure what the tone problem is.

possibility 1. basswood is a bad tonewood for a bass (ive heard mixed reviews)
2.pickups might be crappy, they hiss when i only have one on
3. could be the amp, marshall MB30

so does anyone know?

if its the bass, or the amp, or both, i have at least $1500 i can blow, so any suggestions are appreciated too

thanks!
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Last edited by mosh_face at Jul 10, 2008,
thanks man, deadspot seems about right.

any opinions on the ****ty tone? pickup change? new bass? new amp?
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

The amp is the weakest link there.

Maybe you could take your bass with you and try it through some different amps. If you still don't like the sound then consider new pickups. A bridge J shouldn't sound muddy.
ok, i think i will go down to the music store i think and try out some more high end bass amps, i decided the bass gear is getting the upgrade because i have much more fun and am much better at playing it than any of my other instruments.

what are some good combos in the 1500$ price range (canada) i think i like the sound of a roland cube 100 any opinions on that? reliability? ive heard sound clips but never live//

are tubes better sounding on bass?

i like my lows to rumble and growl, mids to be nice and smooth and middley, and highs to kind of sizzle like victor wootens do.

but the low end sound i want to be like that guy from yes (example is the song roundabout)

thats very specific anyone know something that could provide these things?
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude

Well, this isn't my area of expertise, but let me throw in two cents. As far as SS vs. Tubes, that's kind of a matter of taste. Most people prefer getting SS bass amps though. Tube bass amps are an acquired taste, something different. That's not a lot of help, I know, but that's where it is.

As far as the tone you described... I think I can kind of hear what you're going for, and it sounds like a Gallien-Krueger tone to me. If you can, go give a GK a test run, see if it's the poison you're looking for. I'm sure some other users will give you some other suggestions too...
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
If you're interested in a top-of-the-line combo at that price level and do not want a stack, the newly re-released and redesigned SWR Redhead is top of the line. Played one the other day - great stuff, and if you add another cab, you get over 600W.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
How old are ur strings? that could be ur problem, they might be dead.
dont go for roland amps or line 6 amps, or anky modeling amps, they sound digital and lacks the warmths needed for a rumbling tone.
youve got enough money to buy a traceelliote, lol try them out.
+1 with jb_reborn,

Trace Elliots are hands down the nicest combos Ive ever played, there's loads in PMT, was playing my dream Sandberg through one, the amp combined with the rarewood of the bass gave a tone that was like the sexiest, most pleasant falcon punch to the gut you could ever imagine...*goes glassy eyed, begins drooling, has to be carried away to a safe place*

seriosuly, really nice amps, and they have green sparkly lights, defo a sellling point
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Have you tried eq'ing your amp differently, like adding more treble or something to get the muddiness out of your sound?
tried new strings, tried EQing a lot!

I'm looking at new amps now, GKs are attractive, i'll go to the store to try some and some trace elliots too
maybe a P bass or a hamer that i like the sound of. (I like the look of the J but the sound of the P)

my income is pretty ridiculous right now so i feel like a whole new bass rig
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude

Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
if you do look into GK like WhyLater said, do not look into the Backline or Goldline series, look at their higher end stuff.

Oh dude yeah good call, forgot to mention that. I love me some GK, but their "bargain" stuff is really pretty weaksauce.

This is what I play through at my church, with two Fender cabs (4x10 w/horn, 1x15), and it's pretty much the best tone I've ever heard (doesn't hurt that I'm awesome ):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-400RBIV-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=482589

Now, I've never tried Eden, but I've also heard great stuff about them. Go out and experiment it up.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by mosh_face
tried new strings, tried EQing a lot!

I'm looking at new amps now, GKs are attractive, i'll go to the store to try some and some trace elliots too
maybe a P bass or a hamer that i like the sound of. (I like the look of the J but the sound of the P)

my income is pretty ridiculous right now so i feel like a whole new bass rig

look into BASSON......... their 8x10 is nasty.

if ur looking into a rig anyways.