i've read a lot about how to solo, but for some reason no matter how many times i read about it i just can't do it. So depending on a chord progression like G5 A5 G5 what notes wld i play. plzz help.thnx.
Concerts I've Been To:
Aerosmith x2
A Life Once Lost
Motley Crue
Pearl Jam
My Morning Jacket
Buckcherry
Velvet Revolver x3
Godsmack
Alice In Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Iron Maiden
Red hot Chili Peppers
Lamb of God
Killswitch Engage
Quote by Martindecorum
E - F# - G - A - B - C#- D -

use these notes in any order and i guarantee it will sound quiet nice

what is that called? the theory by which you know to use those notes?
thnk you for the reply but on my own and say im playing a differrent progression how will i know what notes 2 play
Concerts I've Been To:
Aerosmith x2
A Life Once Lost
Motley Crue
Pearl Jam
My Morning Jacket
Buckcherry
Velvet Revolver x3
Godsmack
Alice In Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Iron Maiden
Red hot Chili Peppers
Lamb of God
Killswitch Engage
Thats a D major scale i no i should of started with D

but what u do u grab the G5 chord, find the notes that are in it G - A -G
Then the same with the A5 A- E- A

that gives u three notes to start with then its just about try to fill in the gaps
Ok. Here's how I would go about it.

You have G5-A5-G5.

1. What's the key?
2. What scale works for it?

1. Find the notes that are in the chords you're soloing over and match the sharps/flats with a key signature. Then find the tonal center (the note it wants to resolve to).

In this case you have G5: G, D ... A5: A, E ...and G5 again

Where does the progression resolve? I'll assume G5 since there are 2 of them.

Now since it resolves to G, put those notes in order starting with G:
G, A, D, E

...compare it to G major
G major: G, A, B, C, D, E, F#

Now there are no sharps or flats so you could say it has a key signature of C major but it resolves to G and it doesn't, not, have an F# so it's safe to say G major.

and you see the intervals you're using are 1, 2, 5, 6

2. To find what scale works, the easiest thing to do is pick a scale that has complimentary intervals to the intervals of the chords it's being used over. Since it wants to resolve to G, you should use some G scale and it should have those intervals in it. Some suggestions:
G major: 1234567
G melodic minor: 12b34567
G harmonic minor: 12b345b67
G mixolydian: 123456b7

Those scales all have the intervals/notes from the chords in them: 1, 2, 5, 6 or GADE so they work fine over them.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by Carrothead 73
i've read a lot about how to solo, but for some reason no matter how many times i read about it i just can't do it. So depending on a chord progression like G5 A5 G5 what notes wld i play. plzz help.thnx.

Soloing is largely about hitting the right notes on the right beats over the right chords. At its best it's a lot more than that, but that's the foundation. I'm going to strongly suggest that you not start with the progression you quoted. It has really ambiguous harmony.

Learn to play over a blues progression first. Blues is the foundation of most rock. Get some backing tracks for a _simple_ 12 bar blues (don't try jazz blues, with lots of substitutions). Listen to some masters.. BB King, SRV, etc, and steal a few licks from them, but more importantly, steal their feel from them. Don't play too many notes- concentrate on hitting the right notes at the right time. Take your time- it might take months before you sound even moderately good, but it will be worth spending that time.
^Thanks mate, that means a lot to me. I've been trying my best to explain things well. Practicing for when I hopefully become a teacher.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
^Thanks mate, that means a lot to me. I've been trying my best to explain things well. Practicing for when I hopefully become a teacher.

You'd probly be a great teacher, but one thing you might want to think about before you start teaching is to ask- what is this person _really_ asking? In this case he doesn't want to know the scales to play over that set of chords (though you gave one good explanation for that). He wants to know how to land on good tones on the downbeat, he just doesn't know how to ask that.

Now, you could give him a lesson on how to sequence scales so that the good tones fall on the downbeat, or you could be sneaky and make him find out for himself- that's probably the best option. Blues is a great vehicle for that.
i like your reply and i kno ull be a good teacher because you helped me a lot with just 1 post. Do you have any links so i can learn what intervals are in what chords and scales
Concerts I've Been To:
Aerosmith x2
A Life Once Lost
Motley Crue
Pearl Jam
My Morning Jacket
Buckcherry
Velvet Revolver x3
Godsmack
Alice In Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Iron Maiden
Red hot Chili Peppers
Lamb of God
Killswitch Engage
Quote by Carrothead 73

do you how to play any solos? meaning have you learned any solos from guitarists you like?

If not I highly recommend doing that as well as learning about theory.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Carrothead 73
So depending on a chord progression like G5 A5 G5 what notes wld i play. plzz help.thnx.

That's a pretty wide open vamp. You almost can't go wrong.
metal's explanation is good.

If you want to hear an example I do belive there's one in my profile of a
"2 chord practice jam" which is nearly identical except I used major chords.
I don't recall the key I recorded it in, but most of the 7 minutes is taken up
in A mixolydian given your G5 A5 G5 example with some A minor pent.
Quote by Carrothead 73
i like your reply and i kno ull be a good teacher because you helped me a lot with just 1 post. Do you have any links so i can learn what intervals are in what chords and scales

Thank you very much, i'm glad you found it helpful.

Are these good?
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php
http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥