When I write songs I generally play a whole note chord and sing over it, essentially or play a measure of 8ths then change chord and repeat. But recently I've been playing classical style guitar and I find it very challenging to sing over. So any suggestions? Even the simplest things could help. So say anything that helped you or think regardless of how stupid or smart it is as long as it applies to my problem. Thanks.
its harder because the picking is more complicated than just the chords were.

take it slowly is the only advice i can give
I can sing over fingerstyle it's just the picking(notes) overtake my vocal melody. I'm asking for ways to get a separate melody or some suggestions relating to that.
you got me there, i can barely talk when playing anything on a guitar... i gotsta concentrate!!!
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Matt Chavie
When I write songs I generally play a whole note chord and sing over it, essentially or play a measure of 8ths then change chord and repeat. But recently I've been playing classical style guitar and I find it very challenging to sing over. So any suggestions? Even the simplest things could help. So say anything that helped you or think regardless of how stupid or smart it is as long as it applies to my problem. Thanks.
Usually fingerstyle guitar is written with classic counterpoint. As in there are two instrumental voices in it, the bass and melody playing at the same time. Think of it like a conversation thats happening at the same time and doesnt clash.

Well, if you know alot about counterpoint (which if you dont, I'd suggest you look into it it as it REALLY helps in composition), you could write an even higher voice than the higher of the guitar voices and sing that voice. This might be hard to do, as your probably not used to playing 3 voices at the same time.

Or you could sing in unison to the higher of the guitar voice, which would be easier.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
i think everyone has the same problem with a newly-learned fingerstyle song. My only advice is that it gets alot easier if you just keep at it. provided its not too difficult to play if you keep trying the one piece you get to a point where you dont have to think about what your fingers are doing, it just comes naturally. Then you'll find it alot easier to sing and play simultaneously. I sometimes even go back to songs and find I can play them easily without concentrating, but struggle when I slow down, or think about the notes im playing, or play the parts seperately etc