I'm an intermediate player, and I'm slowly inching my way towards becoming advanced. I'm wanting to learn some of Antoine Dufour's songs. It you go onto youtube and look him up, you may view him playing his songs. But what I'm wondering is, which ones are his easiest to play? If anyone would like to help me decide which ones I should try to learn, that would be great.
There is only one relatively easy Antoine Dufour song. The song is called Passage and is on his CD named Development. The song is a duet with a violin. I'm not even sure you can buy tabs for them though. You certainly won't find the song on Youtube. If you're choosing songs from Youtube then good luck. They all seem equally hard to me.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
There is only one relatively easy Antoine Dufour song. The song is called Passage and is on his CD named Development. The song is a duet with a violin. I'm not even sure you can buy tabs for them though. You certainly won't find the song on Youtube. If you're choosing songs from Youtube then good luck. They all seem equally hard to me.

Some of them look to hard for me to play within the next year or two, but I am positive I can learn at least some of his songs fluently within the coming months. I can count the amount of hours I've held a pick in my hand, and I can do it with the fingers on one hand too. I'm a natural-born finger picker and I've seen how I can improve upon my technique as well as learn new ones through his songs. Antoine has a lot of techniques that will greatly benefit me in my guitar playing from numerous uses to harmonics to note tapping, better speed, etc.

I'm working on Spiritual Groove right now, but it's a pretty fast song. We'll see how that runs. Other songs that look a little bit easier than others include Ashes in the Sea and Glimmer of Hope. I am still looking through his songs though on youtube. Youtube is great for this because it shows what he has to do in order to play it.
I've looked through the songs, and I think I made good choices. I can play several of the parts in Spiritual groove at about 2/3 the pace and I've only been playing the song since last night. I'll just have to learn the rest of the song, pick up the pace and improve tone quality and I'll be golden. As for Ashes in the Sea, there's not too much quick movement, just precision and technique. I think I will have both of those songs down in good time.
spiritual groove is a good song to start with if you can get those slaps down the rest will all fall into place pretty quickly.....
Dufour's cover of Dracula and Friends part 1 would be a fairly good place to start. Another song which is easier than it seems is Catching the Light. It takes a while to get used to, but once youve become used to the technique it becomes fairly easy to play.
I hope to really increase my Antoine Dufour repertoire in the future, but so far I have performed Spiritual Groove, Development and Dracula and Friends live and I have to say, Spiritual Groove is the least demanding for me, and I would definitely say it is one of his easier songs (at least as far as the upbeat ones go). I can see why it's called Spiritual Groove, because you can really get into it and not have to really concentrate that you're playing it right because it flows pretty naturally once learned.

edit: and good luck!!!
Last edited by THE NEKRYPH at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by Spency
Dufour's cover of Dracula and Friends part 1 would be a fairly good place to start. Another song which is easier than it seems is Catching the Light. It takes a while to get used to, but once youve become used to the technique it becomes fairly easy to play.

I really agree on these two. Dracula and Friends sounds really impressive. Catching the Light is not a really fast song, so that categorises it as one of his easier songs as well, at least in my opinion.

Also, I'm rather suprised that you don't find Spiritual Groove hard. I'll definitely try to learn that sometime
Last edited by Rallymonkey at Feb 27, 2009,
Alright for you, I would say stick with Spiritual Groove. The first Dufour song I learned was Drac and Friends Pt 1, so that is another choice. As far as Ashes in the Sea goes, it isn't as easy as it looks. There are parts where you have to slap and play notes at the exact same time to keep the right rhythm, and that is pretty tough to learn. I have spent up to 3 weeks learning some of Dufour's pieces (*cough* mother *cough*), but it's well worth it. Stick with it man! Dufour for life!
the heart of the matter is pretty easy once you get the techniques down.