Page 1 of 2
My critical reading teacher gave us an assignment to find an extremely hard word that is supposed to stump him. The word has to be a real word in the English dictionary. If we happen to find a word that eventually stumps him, I get an extra point on my quiz tomorrow. Instinctively, I automatically go to the Pit for answers. So Pit, you up for it? Can you find an extremely hard word to stump my teacher?

EDIT: Sorry, I wasn't too clear. I was typing a little faster than normal. Our teacher is supposed to guess the definition of any word that we give him. I he guesses wrong, then we get a free point on our quiz tomorrow.
Last edited by hug a llama at Jul 11, 2008,
fjgfjka;lakd;fldkfodrojgrtg
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
verisimilitude - something, as an assertion, having merely the appearance of truth
------------------------------------------------------------------

im a girl, dont call me 'he'

Quote by aznmetalhead93
I used to think Eddie Van Halen was a vampire.
Behringer.

He'll be stumped when it breaks within the hour.

(yeah, i hate behringer.)
Gear:

Ibanez XPT707FX
Ibanez RG7321 (DiMarzio D-Activator 7 Pickups)

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah-Wah
DigiTech Whammy WH-4
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station

Line 6 Flextone III Plus w/FBV2 Footswitch
antidisestablishmentarianism-i have no idea what it means i heard it in a DQ commercial
Antidisestablishmentarianism

EDIT: ****!
EDIT2: You could also go with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Last edited by Just Andrew at Jul 11, 2008,
what does he have to guess?
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by IbanezDude6
antidisestablishmentarianism-i have no idea what it means i heard it in a DQ commercial

I think it was a movement against the church by Parliament. It was a long time ago I looked that up, so don't consider what I said fact.
all these people are coming up with terms not necissarily a word with a definition. do something simple but rarely used.
Phthisis
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Just Andrew
Antidisestablishmentarianism

EDIT: ****!
EDIT2: You could also go with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyayamahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburiromudomrajniwesmahasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamphrasit

Meh, that ones longer.
Quote by mrwaffles
O_O That link just won the thread...
Any one of these should probably work, actually <_<.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_word_in_English
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
gno·sis- a superior form of wisdom, as that of the Gnostics, supposed to have been acquired mystically.
Zyzzyva- Zyzzyva is a genus of tropical American weevil often found in association with palms.

umm idk random words learned from scrabble ???
Dihydrogen monoxide.

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by lozabee
verisimilitude - something, as an assertion, having merely the appearance of truth

Too easy. Veri latin roots. truth. Or is that not close enough.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by boreamor
You mean Hydroxyl Acid?

And I'm 16 :P

No, he means Dihydrogen Monoxide. Go read a book. (sarcasm)

As for a word, I would go with neorealism. It's not a long word that he is probably familiar with, due to using this "game" in the past. Its just extremely uncommon.
Quote by rorythefaggot
I am a clock.

What am I?

GO PHILLIES
Last edited by Darkside825 at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by boreamor
You mean Hydroxyl Acid?

And I'm 16 :P

Good one.

Annnnd.... Let's see, what other words.

OOH!

Floccinauccinihilipilification (thanks, Matt Bellamy! )

It means "the act of describing something as worthless, or making something to be worthless by deprecation".

Quote by HeavyMetaldude
H2O?

Yep.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Truthiness, though I think it's only on the online Merriam-Webster. My guess is plenty of people will get that reference...
It was sarcasm, although hinted lighly. It's only water
Quote by rorythefaggot
I am a clock.

What am I?

GO PHILLIES
penis. yes! penis, your word is indeed penis.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Floccanuachifilipatcation

It means nonsense. No joke, it really means nonsense.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Flamalamadingdong.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by AttentiveDismay
one point...?
wtf?

If we get anything lower than 36/40 more than once, we are kicked out of the school. These quizes are a BIG deal, this means that taking every opportunity to raise your grade is necessary.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I can hardly find any of them in my dictionary though. I think if he can't find it in his, then it doesn't count so...yeah...keep the words coming guys
Quote by hug a llama
If we get anything lower than 36/40 more than once, we are kicked out of the school. These quizes are a BIG deal, this means that taking every opportunity to raise your grade is necessary.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I can hardly find any of them in my dictionary though. I think if he can't find it in his, then it doesn't count so...yeah...keep the words coming guys

www.onlinedictionary.com

Unless you have THE most up-to-date version of websters dictionary.
Quote by Wikipedia

The form "Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaurehaeaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu" has 92 letters, and has been entered into the Guinness Book of Records as the longest officially recognized place name in an English-speaking country. It is the second longest place name in the world. In comparison, according to the Guinness Book of Records, the world's longest place name is Bangkok's full ceremonial name given by King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke, and later edited by King Mongkut, nearly doubles that and is called "Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit." [3]

A longer version,Taumata-whakatangihanga-koauau-a-Tamatea-haumai-tawhiti-ure-haea-turi-pukaka-piki-maunga-horo-nuku-pokai-whenua-ki-tana-tahu, has 105 letters and means The hill of the flute playing by Tamatea — who was blown hither from afar, had a circumcised penis, grazed his knees climbing mountains, fell on the earth, and encircled the land — to his beloved.

anyplace that has the word circumcised penis in its name is ok by me.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Last edited by iceman_8319 at Jul 11, 2008,
Page 1 of 2