View poll results: Which mini-amp?
Roland Micro Cube
23 61%
Pignose Portable
9 24%
Other (specify)
6 16%
Voters: 38.
so I'm thinking about picking up a mini amp to take from room to room or outside or whatever, and it looks like it's going to be either the little Pignose or the Roland Microcube.

I have a Cube 30x, which I like, so I'm already comfortable with Roland and I'd expect similar but on a smaller scale with the micro.

But I really like the vintage look and character of the Pignose, from what I've read it has a real nice tone, and it's $50 cheaper.

So... which to get? With be played with a Fat Strat, mostly classic rock, country, blues. Has anyone played them both? How do they compare?
Quote by ZZRIDER
With be played with a Fat Strat, mostly classic rock, country, blues. Has anyone played them both?

Very few have played them both. In fact, to this point in your poll, people are voting based on the amp they've heard of (the Microcube). But for you, the Pignose would probably be a lot better. It does those vintage tones very convincingly for a little solid state amp. Frank Zappa actually did some recording with it, I believe a few other artists did, too. I remember seeing them mic'd up on stage when they first came out.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I used to own a honeytone and was actually pretty surprised at the sound quality, you could get vintage tube tones out of it or even all the way up to metal. Best little amp on the market i think..
I have played them both. The pignose will get the tones you play. When I was looking for a small mini amp, I tried the pignose, microcube but ended up getting the Vox Da5. The Pig isn't very versatile which is what turned me away from it. I believe they were the original portable amp. That honey tone looks cool, I will get one for my niece for xmass.
Quote by scott58

Looks like a nice amp, but no way am I spending $250 on a portable, it just seems too redundant with the Cube 30x that I already have.

From what I've been reading, the Pignose doesn't seem to have a very good clean... sometimes I like a nice clean so this is a strike against the Pig at this point. How is the clean on the microcube?

Think I might pick up one of those little Honeytones just for the heck of it... for $20 I won't even really care if it does suck. How ridiculous would it be to be playing a $1000 MIA Strat through a $20 plastic toy amp?

As an aside, I think I'm already getting GAS pretty bad. I can also see a little tube amp like a Fender Champ 600, Epi Valve Junior, or Blackheart Killer Ant in my near future.
I've had a pignose for about 10 years. It was my first amp. I still have it, because I like the way it sounds at low volume.
You can play the pignose clean. Turn up the volume on the amp, turn down the volume on the guitar.
Quote by Wasted Resource
You can play the pignose clean. Turn up the volume on the amp, turn down the volume on the guitar.

Good to know, thanks. Some nub who posted an online review said it wouldn't play clean. Must have had his guitar volume cranked.
cube ftw!
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
if you arent overly worried about tone, but want to take it anywhere and have distortion, try this little 9volt-battery bugger. i have one, and its a cool little toy...not much volume at all, and tinny, but what the hey...
also have a Pignose, love it!
Attachments:
SuproJ.jpg
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Supro high-gain pocket amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

I have 2 heads, but only enuff blood to run 1 @ a time. Gravity pulls down. Not My Fault, Girls!
Theres also smokey cig pack amps. Very tiny but has enough power to push a 4x12 cab if you want (not very loud of coarse). I have one and its alright on tone but for portablity its extremely nice. And the 4x12 thing really works i tested it lol
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Theres also smokey cig pack amps. Very tiny but has enough power to push a 4x12 cab if you want (not very loud of coarse). I have one and its alright on tone but for portablity its extremely nice. And the 4x12 thing really works i tested it lol

the one in the pic is the one i have, and its the same as yours, just in the plastic casing...i was gonna order the cig-box one, but with my luck, id get one made in a "virginia slims" box or something, lol
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

I have 2 heads, but only enuff blood to run 1 @ a time. Gravity pulls down. Not My Fault, Girls!
Quote by primeguy31
the one in the pic is the one i have, and its the same as yours, just in the plastic casing...i was gonna order the cig-box one, but with my luck, id get one made in a "virginia slims" box or something, lol

Whats funny is the pic of yours made me think of the smokey thought they looked familiar.

Yea, i got a camel box which is cool but its a old school vintage box and the colors are yellow, purple and light red so its sorta of a rainbow color.. Needless to say it never leaves the house lol i just use if for tech testing stuff...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Whats funny is the pic of yours made me think of the smokey thought they looked familiar.

Yea, i got a camel box which is cool but its a old school vintage box and the colors are yellow, purple and light red so its sorta of a rainbow color.. Needless to say it never leaves the house lol i just use if for tech testing stuff...

i hear ya.
cool would be a marlboro reds box, but what are the chances? i just decided to stick with the plastic. i was pretty impressed with its sound for how tiny it is, just wish it was louder on its own. one of these days, i'll try it as a fuzz box thru my vk...
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

Well I just cast my own vote, having decided on a Roland microcube.

I went to another music store today to inquire about lessons and saw the Microcube, had the guy at the store demo it with a Strat for me. Holy crap, I was sold on it in the first 30 seconds of listening to it.

More thoughts on this on my profile blog. Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go play on this little amp some more.
ive got a marshall ms4 and its oki just for a little cheap amp but not if u really wont amazing tone can get a nice crunch sound more novelty then actions but it dose go very loud for size runs on 9v battery or mains
vintage metal axxe reaper
peavey exp special
epipphone sg g310