So yeah, I recently picked up an MIM Tele and I'm loving it. However, I notice that I get a buttload of hum when I turn the gain up even a little, and sometimes even when it's clean the hum is still a bit audible.

So I was thinking about putting new pickups in it, but I'm fine with the sound I'm getting now, and I have a crappy amp so I figure I should probably save for a new amp first. However, I'm pretty sure that even with a bombass amp, the hum isn't going to go away due to the nature of the Tele and its pickups. I don't really want to spend the money on noiseless pickups like Laces or Hot rails or Fender noiseless (they all tend to be a bit pricey), at least not yet, but I feel like there isn't any other way to get rid of the hum. Also I don't feel like bothering to shield the guitar because I've heard it doesn't have much impact on the hum.

I'm wondering if there really is any other alternative around the 60 cycle hum, and I'm also wondering if the hum is going to be louder or softer on different amps. When I tried the Tele at GC with a couple of high-end amps, I still notice the hum a lot when distortion or OD was on, so I dunno.

Thanks in advance!
crazy talking animals
i have a nashville deluxe tele and its got the same loud hum, but i love the tone on it so its kind of the trade off...id be interested to hear but the noiseless pickups would sound like though?
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
You could get an ISP Decimator, or get some stacked single coils. Shielding may have enough of an effect UNTIL you replace the pups or get a Decimator, or (though the effect veries for different guitars), you could like the electronics' cavity with aluminum foil. Sometimes it reduces hum, sometimes it does nothing. Really depends on the guitar.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
I thought about shielding, but I've heard mixed reviews on how effective it is, and I've read that it really needs to be done correctly and completely in order to have any effect at all. Until it's really proven, I don't think I'm going to bother.

And there are times where I do want to play with a bit more gain, like in the 6-8 range. I feel like the only remaining option is to replace the pickups.

Do you guys think it's worth it to drop $120 on new pickups to reduce noise even when I'm playing on an amp barely costs that much? I really would much rather put that $120 towards a new amp... (in the spirit of UG)
crazy talking animals
def get a new amp, and get the sound you want...ive never had the hum prevent me from playin on higher gain, at that point you dont notice it until you stop playin...and you may not like the sound of the new pickups
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Its virtually impossible to get rid of all 60 cycle hum with standard single coils. Shielding will help tame it. But other than getting stacked singles and lose single coil tone, noiseless pickups, or humbuckers just gonna have to learn to live with it. Some multiFX have noise reduction it will help some. Only other way I found to completely get rid of the hum is use a battery powered amp they run off DC so no 60 cycle hum. And SS amps with the gain turned up will amplify the noise. The 2 guitars I have with singles are alot quieter on my tube amp than my SS.
The issues with the noiseless or the rails isn't just the cost, it's the sound and tone too. If you like that way your Tele sounds now (barring the hum, of course) don't make that swap because it will sound different. Many people call the noiseless 'toneless' and a hot rail is a stacked humbucker so it'll be entirely different as well.
I know it's expensive but throw some Fender noiseless pickups in. You'll still get that tele twang.
Quote by XBertsBestBuddy
I know it's expensive but throw some Fender noiseless pickups in. You'll still get that tele twang.

I haven't ever heard a good thing about the noiseless other than the fact that they're noiseless. Most people say they lack feeling and the likes.
Quote by TheProducer
I haven't ever heard a good thing about the noiseless other than the fact that they're noiseless. Most people say they lack feeling and the likes.

i don't know aboot lack of feeling. both Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton use the Hot noiseless and noiseless pickups, respectively, in their strats. they sound ok to me.