im not really sure where to post this but:

does anyone know any good sweeping licks i can learn to help me?

im starting to get good with sweeping but i've been improvising the sweeps, just hitting random notes that come in my head but thats not really helping me,

so anyone know a song or lick that has an easy sweeping bit?
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
learn the basic 3 string sweeps: major, minor, diminished

they're movable
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Alaska from BTBAM.

Sorry im a bad liar....
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I know a few nice ones, but I'm not sure how to tab them. I guess I'll just put them in a code block. But I don't tend to exclusively sweep- I mix it with alt picking. That takes some practice. Anyway... here's a simple bebop lick that works well in a lot of styles. It is basically in Dm

5------
-6-85-
--7--5-7
------7-
--------
--------

Practice this with a clean tone, and try to accent different notes in the phrase.

I have lots of little phrases like this, but it's too much of a pain to tab them manually. Maybe I will try to write them out in notation and upload them somewhere.
     |---3---|   |----3---|   3     ---  
      E   E   E   E    E   E   E          
E||----------[color="Red"]12[/COLOR]--[color="Blue"]17p[/COLOR]--12----------|-----||
B||------[color="Red"]13[/COLOR]---------------[color="Blue"]13-[/COLOR]-----|-----||
G||--[color="Red"]14[/COLOR]-----------------------[color="Red"]14[/COLOR]--|-----||
D||-------------------------------|-----||
A||-------------------------------|-----||
E||-------------------------------|-----||

Red notes are down-sweeped, blue notes are up-sweeped. The 14 at the end is red so you can repeat the pattern while practising with a metronome. It's all in triplets (three notes per beat)
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Last edited by Alter-Bridge at Jul 11, 2008,
"easy sweeping licks" is an oxymoron - sweeping is, by definition, pretty darn difficult. Also, if you can only sweep random notes then you can't really sweep -the whole point of the technique is that it allows you to play swift arpeggio runs.

Just as theory knowledge is only useful if you can apply it practically, likewise certain techniques are of next to no use unless you know the theory required to make effective use of them. Your best bet would be to familiarise yourself with the major scale and chord construction, then you'll be able to see for yourself how you can best make use of sweeping.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Alter-Bridge
     |---3---|   |----3---|   3     ---  
E E E E E E E
E||----------[color="Red"]12[/COLOR]--[color="Blue"]17p[/COLOR]--12----------|-----||
B||------[color="Red"]13[/COLOR]---------------[color="Blue"]13-[/COLOR]-----|-----||
G||--[color="Red"]14[/COLOR]-----------------------[color="Red"]14[/COLOR]--|-----||
D||-------------------------------|-----||
A||-------------------------------|-----||
E||-------------------------------|-----||

Red notes are down-sweeped, blue notes are up-sweeped. The 14 at the end is red so you can repeat the pattern while practising with a metronome. It's all in triplets (three notes per beat)

Hmm- I ought to figure out the code blocks before posting more licks. Did you write that out, or is there an editor you use for that?
Quote by steven seagull
"easy sweeping licks" is an oxymoron - sweeping is, by definition, pretty darn difficult. Also, if you can only sweep random notes then you can't really sweep -the whole point of the technique is that it allows you to play swift arpeggio runs.

Just as theory knowledge is only useful if you can apply it practically, likewise certain techniques are of next to no use unless you know the theory required to make effective use of them. Your best bet would be to familiarise yourself with the major scale and chord construction, then you'll be able to see for yourself how you can best make use of sweeping.

the only reason im sweeping random notes is because i have nothing to follow, thats why im asking for easy sweeping licks

sweeping is very hard, but the licks can be easy 3 string arpeggios to extremely hard 6 string arppegios.

i wont be learning theory for a while, want to figure out how to play the guitar first, chord, alternate picking, tapping, sweeping and bending, once i learned the techniques i'll start learning theory, the whole point in playing guitar is to have fun, emmedietly learning theory will make it boring, sweeping is fun, so i wont get to be bigshot and play giganto sweeps yet, at least it will be a lot of fun.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Man, you have this backwards. Don't worry too much about theory- it's just a way to explain what sounds good. Worry about playing things that sound good. But also, don't worry about any of the stuff you are talking about (tapping etc.) You _need_ to learn to hit the right note on the right beat over the right chord before you can learn to sound good tapping or sweeping, or whatever. It takes almost no technique to sound good, but it does take an ear.

I could explain that swept stuff is usually based on triads, but.. just learn simple blues first. The more I read this forum, the more I am convinced that most people here with a question could answer it by playing a bit of blues.
Quote by akm_202
the only reason im sweeping random notes is because i have nothing to follow, thats why im asking for easy sweeping licks

sweeping is very hard, but the licks can be easy 3 string arpeggios to extremely hard 6 string arppegios.

i wont be learning theory for a while, want to figure out how to play the guitar first, chord, alternate picking, tapping, sweeping and bending, once i learned the techniques i'll start learning theory, the whole point in playing guitar is to have fun, emmedietly learning theory will make it boring, sweeping is fun, so i wont get to be bigshot and play giganto sweeps yet, at least it will be a lot of fun.

You shouldn't view theory as a separate field of study, it's an inherent part of what you want to do which is learn to play the guitar. Obviously you don't need to learn everything at once, but it helps a lot if you take a bit of extra time to explore the theory behind things as you go.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com