Hey guys, I need an attenuator for my Mesa Boogie Roadster. I use it on the 50W setting, I really need this to play in my bedroom. I've decided to get this instead of buying a TT or similar low wattage amp.

What are the differences between the THD hotplate and the Weber Mass 100? Which one should I get? Thank you
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I have no idea but with my limited knowledge I would say as long as it has a Speaker rotor/motor to absorb some of the power then that is what you want. Based on the Hotplate's price I would say it has that and it does say 'dummy speaker load'.

I hear a lot of good things about the tedweber stuff which why I recommend it even tho I don't think you can get it at GC or MF or anything. I don't have any direct experience with them so bump for ya.
Anyone else?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

The weber has a speaker motor which is supposed to sound better. Hopefully they finish freaking building mine(i ordered it 2 weeks ago!).

yeah you'd need at least a 75w attenuator for a 50w amp.
So I'd need the Mass 100 for running my Boogie on the 50w setting?

Why? I'd never ever use it on 100w.. And I'd rather not spend more then I have to It's already killing me.

You're scaring me .. And my wallet ..

i got my hotplate for 210. dunno about the wattage issue with the weber but with thd all you need to do is get the ohms right.
Quote by yoyodunno
Yeah are you truly sure that that switch on your amp will lower it to 50watts?

I guess if you blow your transformer maybe the company could replace the amp lol.

Theres a 50w or 100w switch for each channel..

And my cab is wired for 16 ohms so I use the 16 ohm jack on the back of my amp, so I'd get the 16 ohm attenuator?

edit; for webers I think they all work for any ohm rating.

Last edited by tr3nt at Jul 11, 2008,
Sweet, so I'll need another speaker cable using it?

I love my weber. With the reactive speaker thing, its suppose to help minimize tone loss as compared to the resistive models like the hot plate. but i've never tried the hotplate... But my 100w version has this treble switch which is pretty cool... I really like the sound

but you do still get tone loss when its heavily attenuated, but I really like it and very useful
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I have had the Mass Lite 50 for about two weeks. I LOVE IT! It does as advertised and I am sure I will be looking at the Mass III (with Tone Stack ) when it is available.

One satisfied Weber customer here

Chris
I have a Hot Plate, and it works killer... A little pricey compared to the weber, but when I was looking for an attenuator, I just felt I couldn't go wrong with the hotplate... I've heard great things about the weber, it's just that i felt the more quality solution was the hotplate. But that was just me and I'm not saying anything bad about weber. Just followed my gut and I really happy with the THD

Hot Plates will handle anything up to 185 watts RMS..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
I'll try to snag a Weber Mass 100 on eBay.

Even though you already decided I'll put up another vote for the weber. Attenuators are fairly simple and there isn't really much that can go wrong with them.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not