quick question. Ive only been playing guitar for a little while and im still a bit of a noob.

i recently got a cheap electric and a cheap amp *EDIT*[that's a lie, ive had my electric for about a year. I just said that because i wanted to save myself from having to explain the backstory]** ANYWAY, im curious what each knob means/does?

there are 4 knobs on mine; volume, treble, middle, and bass, and overdrive button

im fairly confident i know what the volume knob does , but what are the others responsible for, in terms of how it affects the sound coming out of the amp/guitar?

thanks for anyone who answers
Last edited by flea's trumpet at Jul 11, 2008,
i have some idea but not sure if i'm right. Wikipedia is your friend
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by flea's trumpet
quick question. Ive only been playing guitar for a little while and im still and a bit of a noob.

i recently got a cheap electric anda cheap amp, and im curious what each knob means/does?

there are 4 knobs on mine; volume, treble, middle, and bass, and overdrive button

im fairly confident i know what the volume knob does , but what are the others responsible for, in terms of how it affects the sound coming out of the amp/guitar?

thanks for anyone who answers

I'm about to hit the sack, but I'll throw you a bone really quick here before I head off: The volume knob obviously controls the volume of the amp; the treble knob controls the "treble" or highs of the sound coming out of the amp; the middle knob controls the "middle" or mids of the sound coming out of the amp; the bass knob controls the "bass" or lows of the sound coming out of the amp; and the overdrive button likely produces a more distorted sound in the case of your cheap practice amp.

For a more detailed explanation of treble, middle, and bass, try reading virtually any source on the internet (Wikipedia, the Search Bar here on UG, etc.). For more on overdrive, do the same.

Alternatively, you could just play your guitar while fiddling around with these knobs/buttons. In fact, that's probably the best way to figure it out because book definitions of these terms have little relevance to your playing whereas knowledge of the ways in which they affect your tone is completely relevant to your playing.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
first off, thanks for answering my Q Foursticks, really appreciate it.

and to flamingmarble ...

to be honest ive bin playing guitar for about a year now, but strictly acoustic. i play my electric every once and a while, but i never took the time to fiddle around with the amp settings. A mate of mine has jsut started playing guitar, he bought a cheap electric with a cheap amp, and he doesnt know what each knob does. [He also just bought guitar hero 3, and a playstation 3 the lucky bastard] He thinks i can explain it to him because he has heard me play and he thinks im really good. But the problem is I myself have very little knowledge of amps and the like. He's invited me and a few other friends to his house tomorrow night, as he recently scored some pot and we might jam a bit too. ANYWAY, i couldnt really wait till Sunday for answers, seeing as though it would be to late.

but i shall check wiki for more info, and i think i will take the time out to mess around with my amp later tonight.

another question: im plugged in and ready to go, but my amp seems to be giving out a weird crackling noise .. its not feedback And even stranger if i tap the scratchboard in a certain place the noise stops....but then after 2 minutes the crackling will start up again. Can anyone tell me what that crackling noise is, or how to prevent it, permanently? or should i just smash it and buy a brand new one?
Quote by flea's trumpet
first off, thanks for answering my Q Foursticks, really appreciate it.

and to flamingmarble ...

to be honest ive bin playing guitar for about a year now, but strictly acoustic. i play my electric every once and a while, but i never took the time to fiddle around with the amp settings. A mate of mine has jsut started playing guitar, he bought a cheap electric with a cheap amp, and he doesnt know what each knob does. [He also just bought guitar hero 3, and a playstation 3 the lucky bastard] He thinks i can explain it to him because he has heard me play and he thinks im really good. But the problem is I myself have very little knowledge of amps and the like. He's invited me and a few other friends to his house tomorrow night, as he recently scored some pot and we might jam a bit too. ANYWAY, i couldnt really wait till Sunday for answers, seeing as though it would be to late.

but i shall check wiki for more info, and i think i will take the time out to mess around with my amp later tonight.

another question: im plugged in and ready to go, but my amp seems to be giving out a weird crackling noise .. its not feedback And even stranger if i tap the scratchboard in a certain place the noise stops....but then after 2 minutes the crackling will start up again. Can anyone tell me what that crackling noise is, or how to prevent it, permanently? or should i just smash it and buy a brand new one?

that anoying sound is because of the cheap amp,don't worry
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
That noise is the sound of cheapness. You could try shielding your guitar if it has single coils. Is it a Stratocaster style?
yeah, its like a cheap knockoff of a fender strat.

its called a canora something ..i dont even know

it doesnt even have a whammy bar *cries*

..what do you mean by shielding?