Online, visual teaching aid for scales and modes:

Choose the scale and key and the notes are displayed on a guitar -

http://www.scalefinder.info/

I was looking for a visually intuitive way of learning new scales to make my playing more interesting but couldn't find one that was any good, so I decided to make my own!

It's great for teachers as you can easily print out pages to give to your students - or just give them the link!

Comments, ideas, suggestions, etc are all welcome!
Really? I couldn't find anything that was web based. How were they better? How do you think I can improve ScaleFinder?

I have quite a few ideas already planned but all new ideas are definitely welcome!
*reported*
no advertising dude
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
No advertising???? I just spent 6 months making a tool that I thought would be useful for readers of this forum! I am not a commercial company and the site has no advertising! All of it is funded from my pocket and free time for the benefit of others.

Perhaps you are worried that this free and open version will detract from ad-laden alternatives?
Quote by SlappyTheFish
No advertising???? I just spent 6 months making a tool that I thought would be useful for readers of this forum! I am not a commercial company and the site has no advertising! All of it is funded from my pocket and free time for the benefit of others.

Perhaps you are worried that this free and open version will detract from ad-laden alternatives?

I'm not worried about anything. UG has rules, one of which is "no advertising" - the site generates income from advertising sales, if you could advertise for free in the forums nobody would buy ads.

If somebody asks for information and your site is relevant to what they want to know then fair enough, and plenty of active forum members use their sigs to advertise their own sites. However creating a thread specifically to advertise your site is generally regarded as a no-no. Ultimately it's up to the mods, I'm just flagging it up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Slappy that's awesome. I think it's pretty harsh on the advertising thing but I have not say in the matter. All I can say is I was pleasantly surprised at how nice your site looks. Good job! I've bookmarked it.

If it was commercial site yeah I could understand but no advertising? I suppose they have to look after their sponsers I've seen enough Hellboy II on this site that I don't wanna see the movie now.
Si
Ok, well let's see what the moderators decide. I'd just like to make it clear that there is no commercial motive behind my site, just a tool for the community - which is why I posted it here, I'd like to hear what people think and how I can adapt the tool to better suit their needs. I've had some really positive feedback from other forums (e.g. the coloured dots idea, originally they were grey) so it would be a shame if it gets poo-pooed here.

To be honest I'm a bit upset it's been flagged as commercial advertising as I have tried to avoid as many commercial aspects as possible - it was even developed using entirely free software and the server runs entirely free software and if you look at my source code (not yet had time to release it yet but it will be) it all has a GPL licence.
Thanks for the feedback 20Tigers! I really appreciate your comments, and thanks for bookmarking it! :-)
Quote by SlappyTheFish
Ok, well let's see what the moderators decide. I'd just like to make it clear that there is no commercial motive behind my site, just a tool for the community - which is why I posted it here, I'd like to hear what people think and how I can adapt the tool to better suit their needs. I've had some really positive feedback from other forums (e.g. the coloured dots idea, originally they were grey) so it would be a shame if it gets poo-pooed here.

To be honest I'm a bit upset it's been flagged as commercial advertising as I have tried to avoid as many commercial aspects as possible - it was even developed using entirely free software and the server runs entirely free software and if you look at my source code (not yet had time to release it yet but it will be) it all has a GPL licence.

In all honesty I didn't look at the site - it just looked like one of the many spammy advertising messages that UG gets.

If there's no commercial motive and the site doesn't impact on what UG offers, which it doesn't appear to do, then I doubt the mods will have a problem with it...it's certainly well put together.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah great looking site, but 12 modes? What about the other modes from the harmonic and melodic minor scales? And what about the Dorian mode?
Thanks for the comments Eirien! I completely forgot about the Dorian - I'll put it online this evening when I get home (I'm at work at the moment!)

As for modes of the harmonic and melodic minors, do you mean these scales?

http://www.globalbass.com/archives/nov2001/modesharmminor.htm
http://www.globalbass.com/archives/oct2001/melodic_minor.htm

There's certainly no problem with putting these online but I think because there's so many of them that I'll first have to think of a better way of organising the links so they're not too cluttered. I'll give it some thought and post back here once I come up with an idea!
^ Yeah, they're never going to be the most important scales anyone will ever use, but to say there's 12 modes is wrong. I know you was presenting that guy's views but perhaps you could explain it more clearly.
Thanks, this helps a lot
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
I hope i don't get warned for posting in a thread that's been reported. Steven, who used to be a CC (i didn't know you were quitting like kirby?) doubts teh modzorz will mind so i'll go ahead:

This is a great site. I love how it's on a real fretboard. It made me feel like I could play whatever scale i wanted all over the fretboard by just looking at it up there. Definetly recommending it to others.

Thanks, Slappy
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
It doesn't look like you're trying to make any money, and it could be helpful to people, so the thread can stay open.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I've just updated the site with the Dorian mode! :-)

Great idea about the skins, I'll definitely look into that because it wouldn't be too difficult at all, just a case of getting suitable images that I can use. I'll try and get a bass image and also maybe a mandolin as well.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Quote by SlappyTheFish
I've just updated the site with the Dorian mode! :-)

Great idea about the skins, I'll definitely look into that because it wouldn't be too difficult at all, just a case of getting suitable images that I can use. I'll try and get a bass image and also maybe a mandolin as well.

Thanks again for the feedback!

The easiest way to get skins would be to create the images as jpegs using the kisekae site...

http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/kisekaeE1.asp
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc