I just started learning to sweep pick. When I play a note on the 12th fret, after I play the note, I get a harmonic. How do I stop playing the harmonic? When I don't play the harmonic i play the open string. Please help me!

EDIT: Look at post 8 for more information on my sweep picking problem!
Last edited by kilbie at Jul 11, 2008,
are you sure that its just not ringing. try to mute it after you play.

i dont know what else you can do cos i dont really have thta problem sry
Since you haven't told us what notes are preceeding or following the one at the 12th fret I am just gonna take a wild guess and say that you are barring a couple of strings and aren't rolling your finger as you sweep so you're getting a harmonic instead of a muted note.

Edit: Check out Youtube there are plenty of sweep lessons that show you how to roll and mute correctly as you sweep pick.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Use the palm of your picking hand and try to mute it out. Like, as your finger is switching strings, follow behind with your palm and mute each string out to stop the note from ringing. More info would help though.
Quote by caraluzzo
Use the palm of your picking hand and try to mute it out. Like, as your finger is switching strings, follow behind with your palm and mute each string out to stop the note from ringing. More info would help though.

uhmm i can't do that. i'd have to curl my picking hand to do that, and it would probably hurt my wrist bad. that's not what he has to achieve.

what you should do this play the arpeggio slowly and get used to that kind of motion. that's the only way you will improve. play at a slow enough speed that you are sure you can play it clean.
The arpeggio i have been trying to play is the first one in the lesson 'guide to sweep picking'
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/guide_to_sweep_picking.html

I have been moving the arpeggio up and down the fretboard and I am having trouble playing what I have written out below.

E ------------10-
B -------11-----
G --12----------
D ---------------
A ---------------
E ---------------

I am able to play other arpeggio's like this in different places on the fretboard (cleanly) , but I can't play this without the sound of two notes at once. I have concluded that the 12th fret on the g string is playing a harmonic, because i am trying to mute the string with my 3rd finger (when i play the muted string normally, not sweep picking, I get a harmonic). Should I mute everything (by palm muting) after playing it with my right hand? If that is the answer, how do I mute when picking up? Or should I try to mute the note with my 3rd finger, but have my finger as far away from the 12th fret as possible to try to make less of a harmonic?
Last edited by kilbie at Jul 11, 2008,
As said, when you sweep, mute the strings with your picking hand as you pick them. I used to have the same problem.
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
ok i've realized that i do mute the strings with my picking hand, only i do it with the thumb. it was really something natural i didn't even realize i was doing it lol so as it sounded good i didn't even try to figure out why.
well maybe you should try that. i don't do it like a pinch harmonic, i just pick, then pass my finger lightly on it.