hi i was wondering how the action of a typical acoustic guitar compared with that of an electric guitar. is it in general easier to barr chords on the electric than on the acoustic? thanks!
It is much harder to barre chords on most acoustics. It's not just the action- the strings are generally much higher tension.
The action on an acoustic is much higher than the action on an electric.

And yes, it is generally much easier to play barre chords on an electric than an acoustic, because the acoustic usually uses .12 gauge strings, while electrics usually use .09s or .10s.

So basically, just remember that acoustic guitars uses heavier gauge strings, and has a higher action, so therefore ---> it's much harder to press the strings down compared to electrics.

Hope this helps!
Electric is easier when you start out. But if you practice on an acoustic it will be worth it. You will build up more strength.
Quote by SnoDog
The action on an acoustic is much higher than the action on an electric.

And yes, it is generally much easier to play barre chords on an electric than an acoustic, because the acoustic usually uses .12 gauge strings, while electrics usually use .09s or .10s.

So basically, just remember that acoustic guitars uses heavier gauge strings, and has a higher action, so therefore ---> it's much harder to press the strings down compared to electrics.

Hope this helps!

Your measurments are missing some zero's there SnoDog. They should read: .012, .009, .010. Strings are measured in thousandths of an inch, not hundredths. Or in millimeters. But everything else you said is right if that's any consolation.
Playing anything on electric is "easier" on your fingers especially at first. The strings are lighter and the action is lower. But its definitely worth while to learn on acoustic as well...youll develop your callouses faster...makes a man out of you.
Quote by LeftyDave
Your measurments are missing some zero's there SnoDog. They should read: .012, .009, .010. Strings are measured in thousandths of an inch, not hundredths. Or in millimeters. But everything else you said is right if that's any consolation.

Oops, you're right, I missed an extra zero in my gauge measurements! I usually just say "nines, twelves", etc. So I usually don't have the decimal space correct when I write it.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Hmm...

I dont find the general concensus to be the case for me.

I have an electric MIM Strat and an ESP Eclipse. My strat started with pretty high action for the first few months till I had it lowered. I recently lowered my ESP as well, not sure if it was due to the high action on my electrics, but when I went to my local shop recently I was amazed at how easy playing acoustics were.

They strummed easier with less rattle, and the large finger board made it sooooo much easier to do chords. I have bigger hands with shorter fingers, so the larger fretboard was welcomed. Also the action on them wasnt any higher than my two electrics.

Bottom line is, everyone is different. So try for yourself and see how they are. Playing the acoustics was so smooth for me during that short visit that I really want one now. It was soooo nice!
almost everything is easier on electric. (Thats why (at least I) recommend to learn how to play acoustic first and then go electric when your good enough)
Quote by SnoDog
Oops, you're right, I missed an extra zero in my gauge measurements! I usually just say "nines, twelves", etc. So I usually don't have the decimal space correct when I write it.

Thanks for clearing that up!

No biggie bro, I'm just nitpicky sometimes. It's all in the details man. DETAILS!