Page 1 of 2
What are the best guitars to play metal with?
My friend is in a hardcore metal band and they are getting a new guitar for their new guitarist

They are called stained red if anyone wants to know
fender tele.....jk
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Last edited by twinturboaudi at Jul 11, 2008,
You can pretty much play heavy metal (or any other style) with anything, there is no guitar made specifically for heavy metal. Humbuckers help but you can use Fender guitars just as well (look at Iron Maiden for example).
Quote by metallhead
You can pretty much play heavy metal (or any other style) with anything, there is no guitar made specifically for heavy metal. Humbuckers help but you can use Fender guitars just as well (look at Iron Maiden for example).

WHAT????? no guitars made for metal...wow...no offense but ive seen a lot of dumb replies and urs is the winner
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by twinturboaudi
WHAT????? no guitars made for metal...wow...no offense but ive seen a lot of dumb replies and urs is the winner

That's your opinion but it is not very well informed.

Cheers!
Any guitar can do metal. The amp is what makes the sound. Just let him find a guitar that's comfy. I ****in' love Schecters, myself.
The Gear
Schecter Loomis NT
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Washburn Tabu TB300
Peavey 5150
Laney TT412a

Quote by twinturboaudi
No, THIS is the dumbest reply. There are not any guitars ever made just for the sole intention of playing heavy metal and only heavy metal. Most are, at the least, also made with the intention of being suitable for standard straight-up rock music as well.

But yes. Amp matters more than the guitar. As far as guitars go, anything with humbuckers will do. Shape, colour, all the rest of it, has no bearing on tone. Just because one guitar has more spikes or black with skulls on it will not make it sound any more or less 'metal' than another. As far as neck profile and fretsize go, many metal players prefer thinner necks with large frets, but there are plenty who also use average or thick necks and smaller frets. That sort of thing is really very much down just to personal preference, and it's generally impossible to buy a guitar for somebody else which fits their neck preferences perfectly, unless you ask them for specifics first.

Also general tip: buying guitars and amps for another person isn't a good idea. No matter how well you research it and no matter what you think they will like, you will always get at least one or two things wrong.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Schecter or Ibanez. But you'll need a decent amp first.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Uhhh, the guitar has nothing to do with the tone?
The make or model dosn't, but the wood does.
Other than that, everybody prefers something different. You need to find out what's comfortable for you, the fretboard you prefer, wether or not you wanna trem.. and if so, what kind do you like? Theres tons and tons of things to consider.

I prefer mahogany bodies, with either mohogany or maple necks, ebony fretboard, thin U necks and jumbo or extra jumbo frets.

Just go what feels right.
Quote by twinturboaudi
fender tele.....jk

No joke.Some use teles for metal.

Damn TS, your band rocks,you give a guitar as a welcome gift?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by twinturboaudi

actually, no. ur reply is pretty dumb.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
the x series i've heard is pretty good. never played one though.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by twinturboaudi

+1 to people above for being kind and providing reasoned explanation.

metal = amp with overdrive. And some kind of guitar.

John 5 (former marilyn manson guitarist) plays a tele, for christs sake.

Humbuckers are helpful, but anything hum-cancelling (stacked singles, for example) do the trick just fine.

So instead of saying "ZOMG!! ONLY POINTY GUITARS DO METALLL!!! KERRY F*CKING KING 4EVAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" and sounding like an uninformed moron, please do your research.
RR24, ESP ALEXI....1 active pickup, bridge position, no tone knob and a floyd rose..........your gonna tell me these guitars arent made for 1 purpose?....
straight quote from jackson website..
"The real metal deal—delivers the goods in the spirit of its legendary namesake. The RR24 Randy Rhoads guitar is a 24-fret no-nonsense neck-through-body monster with a single, brutal EMG® 81 humbucking bridge pickup, ebony fingerboard, Floyd Rose® tremolo, single volume knob and black hardware. Beware"....
so you do your research
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Last edited by twinturboaudi at Jul 11, 2008,
anything by ESP or Jackson Really iuf you are into extreme shapes go for the EX, RR, or V shapes.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by Mwoit

talk about some sustain!
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
its more dependant on the amp i managed to make a danalectro sound metal with a mesa cab
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
<$1000: Shecter
If you avoid the Edge III, Ibanez has some of the best trems
Jackson and ESP are quite good for shredding
Quote by smokin_joe
+1 to people above for being kind and providing reasoned explanation.

metal = amp with overdrive. And some kind of guitar.

John 5 (former marilyn manson guitarist) plays a tele, for christs sake.

Humbuckers are helpful, but anything hum-cancelling (stacked singles, for example) do the trick just fine.

So instead of saying "ZOMG!! ONLY POINTY GUITARS DO METALLL!!! KERRY F*CKING KING 4EVAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" and sounding like an uninformed moron, please do your research.

he didnt say the only thing you can play metal with is a BC rich,
hes saying all you can play with a BC rich is metal

there are obviously guitars intended for nothing but metal, but they arent all you can play it on
any solidbody guitar with a bridge humbucker will probably allow you to play metal, more or less.

of course, there are other guitars more aimed towards metal, with more metal-orientated pickups, and faster necks etc.

but at the end of the day, you'll sound more metal with a guitar (assuming it's solidbody with bridge humbucker) which isn't necessarily aimed at metal through a metal amp, than a metal-orientated guitar through an amp which isn't a metal amp.

If that makes sense.

Of course, if you have a metal amp and guitar, then that's the ideal (assuming you only want to play metal).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

but at the end of the day, you'll sound more metal with a guitar (assuming it's solidbody with bridge humbucker) which isn't necessarily aimed at metal through a metal amp, than a metal-orientated guitar through an amp which isn't a metal amp.

If that makes sense.

it makes perfect sense...well said
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Or if you can't get another amp, buy a BOSS Mega Distortion or Metal Zone Pedal.
Quote by tmfiore
Or if you can't get another amp, buy a BOSS Mega Distortion or Metal Zone Pedal.

No. Not them.

You are better off with a guitar or amp.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by tmfiore

boss distortion pedals are crap metal muffs are much better.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Quote by mrbungle50221
boss distortion pedals are crap metal muffs are much better.

There must be something wrong there.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
metal guitars? other than the one posted above there's line of electrics with a copper top. Jack white plays one with the racontures (sp?) uh... dobros, many guitars have a decoritive metal faceplate(you can get those custom made).

hope that helped you out
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by plucky duck
metal guitars? other than the one posted above there's line of electrics with a copper top. Jack white plays one with the racontures (sp?) uh... dobros, many guitars have a decoritive metal faceplate(you can get those custom made).

hope that helped you out

he meant the genre metal.....
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Quote by mrbungle50221
he meant the genre metal.....

Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
Quote by plucky duck

were you being sarcastic? its kinda hard to get it over the internets lol.......
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Quote by mrbungle50221
were you being sarcastic? its kinda hard to get it over the internets lol.......

well you dont see many metal guitarist play dobros hahahaha (John 5?)

And I figgured the Jack White copper guitar was the winner as far as "heavy metal" guitars go, its like 16 pounds.

And yes there is far too much sarcasim on the interwebs. There should be a moratorium day on sarcasim every year just to show us we all can be pricks and treat people poorly WITHOUT sarcasim. I say, brothers....sisters we can do this if we unite! Together we can make it to the mountain top, we can make it to the promised land! Take my hand and walk with me UG.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
Quote by twinturboaudi
fender tele.....jk

There is none better.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Page 1 of 2