Was recently mucking around with my acoustic guitar and firstly put it in drop D. Then I tuned the D string down to A, the G string down to D, the B string up to D and the E string down to D. The 2 As are the same octave, as are the 2 high Ds. Asked a few people but they're not too sure.

Any help on how to use it too would be greatly appreciated. It sound gigantic
Quote by johnos
But you need to get over the fact that Yamaha make jetskis as well as guitars.
So it's tuned to Ds and As? It's an open D5. If you find a use for it, that's great, but I think open tunings are used to make playing with a slide simpler, and this tuning doesn't in this case.
so basically D-A-A-D-D-D

that's just a power chord. and are you gonna be able to play anything else than a power chord?... this tuning doesn't seem to have much range.
Hmmm, yea I see what you mean. Thanks for the help
Quote by johnos
Quote by JimmehHunter
i made a tuning like this once. everyone slammed that as well

lol i suppose there are different degrees of useful tunings. it sounds the business, i like the low end bass with the high end Ds but there's not a lot you can do with it tbh. recorded some things, so it's not been a total wash-out
Quote by johnos
Last edited by acousticstudent at Jul 11, 2008,
^or try double drop D - D A D G B D - probably my favorite alt tuning.
The Dashboard Confessional tuning is basically DADDDD

most of their songs from the album The Swiss Army Romance are like that. So you might want to check those out
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian