So I have saved about $640 AU over the last few months, and I think it's time I bought my new acoustic.

I will be going through a rigorous selection process, involving playing the guitars in store, and researching the particular model and reading reviews and such.

Anyway, I thought UG would be a good place to start.

Basically, choose your favourite acoustic in my price range (maybe 550-650), and then post the link here.
For the sake of convenience and to make sure everyone is going by relative prices (no musicians friend over here), please make your selection from
THIS SITE:http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/acoustic/index.htm

Cheers!

P.S. I'm quite fond of folk styled guitars, rather than dreadnoughts. I will not be requiring an on board pickup.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Crafter's are beautiful underrated acoustics I picked one up for 600NZ and it's absoluely fantastic beats any Ovation my teacher who has been playing for ages has like a high end Ovation and played mine and said he wished he hadn't wasted money on the ovation
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
What a rediculous thread. Why on earth would anyone want a bunch of complete strangers to pick out a guitar FOR them? Pick one out yourself. It's your money, you're the one buying it, and most importantly, you're the one who's going to be playing it. You pick it out.
I can understand someone asking us about the pro's and con's of different guitars, then using that info to help them in their purchase, but not to outright ask us to choose one for them. No way.
Quote by LeftyDave
What a rediculous thread. Why on earth would anyone want a bunch of complete strangers to pick out a guitar FOR them? Pick one out yourself. It's your money, you're the one buying it, and most importantly, you're the one who's going to be playing it. You pick it out.
I can understand someone asking us about the pro's and con's of different guitars, then using that info to help them in their purchase, but not to outright ask us to choose one for them. No way.

Perhaps the title was misleading.

I merely was asking everyone to pick out the "gem of the lot" or their personal favourite. This way, I would have a list of user-recommended guitars which I could seek out and play and then make my own decision, rather than possibly buying a guitar that plays well on the day, but unforeseen problems may arise in the future.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by breadstick
Perhaps the title was misleading.

I merely was asking everyone to pick out the "gem of the lot" or their personal favourite. This way, I would have a list of user-recommended guitars which I could seek out and play and then make my own decision, rather than possibly buying a guitar that plays well on the day, but unforeseen problems may arise in the future.

In that case, if I were you, I'd start checking out the Maton's. They're made locally, so you won't have to pay for any of the overseas shipping charges that would be tacked onto say a Martin, Gibson, Taylor and so on. That is assuming the store has a price hike because of shipping. Wouldn't surprise me if they did tho.
And you're looking at spending about $650AU? That would barely get you in Martin's door, and you don't want a low end guitar from any of the big 3. Your only other bet is to just simply go and play different models and brands in your price range until you find one that suits you. That's really all there is to it. As nice as it is to have someone else help you out with suggestions for guitars, it all really boils down to weather or not YOU like it. Happy hunting.
^--$650 wont get you in Maton's door either unless you're looking at a used M225.

Your only other bet is to just simply go and play different models and brands in your price range until you find one that suits you.

+1
Last edited by tom183 at Jul 11, 2008,
any taylor or takamine in that price range will be great.

that was easy.
David St. Hubbins: Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.
- Spinal Tap
Quote by GiggityTar
any taylor or takamine in that price range will be great.

that was easy.

Any taylor you get in that price range will be crap. In USD, you'd be wasting your money when you could be buying something better. In AU, you're just throwing it down the toilet(assuming you can even get a Taylor).
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
In AU, you're just throwing it down the toilet(assuming you can even get a Taylor).

You cant. The only Taylor you'll get for $650 is the Baby Taylor. As for full size, the 110 goes for about $900 and they obviously get more expensive from there.