I do this a lot. When i do scales (going up and down) i put my pinky on the pickgaurd or somewhere under the strings to help me balance and keep accuracy.
I wanted to know if anyone else does this and if its a bad habit. I mean its comfortable but i feel like its bad in the future because i wont be able to move as fast and freely.
I also do this, naturaly. Do you mean the tip of your pinky? Or are you putting alot of pressure on the pickgaurd? I suppose if you are pressing real hard it could be a problem, but just setting it on the gaurd probably wouldnt matter.
lots of people do it
its called anchoring i think,
dave mustaine from megadeth does it and he kicks ass so it shouldnt be a problem
i kinda use a mixture of anchoring and like....having my hand floating
depends on what i'm playing

im sure thats probably really bad, but it works for me!

therefore, if this technique works for you, it should be ok!
Top lel.
Quote by Joe4/4/1992
lots of people do it
its called anchoring i think,
dave mustaine from megadeth does it and he kicks ass so it shouldnt be a problem

Oh really? Gotta love his solo in that.

I do it, you will get mixed answers from everyone. Just as long as you don't put pressure on it, it should be fine.
i do it all the time. i do it in my room. i do it in the garage. i did it in the bathroom one time.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
ee sorry mate i didnt realise thats what you were getting at
he does do some **** solos like, i dont really like his solo in washington is next tbh
i didnt watch the video so thats probably why i didnt realise you were being sarcastic
you were'nt being a **** i just misunderstood what you were on about
damn ambigious internet messaging lol
It's all about how you feel while playing, if it's comfortable then it shouldn't be a problem. I usually rest my hand near the bridge while playing fast passages. I heard that this will hinder faster playing and that you should 'float' your hand above the strings though. I practiced doing that for a few months thinking it would help me squeeze out a bit more speed, but other than making pinch harmonics easier to pull off it really only slowed me down b'c i wasn't comfortable with it. If you're just starting out playing guitar, then yeah, i recommend trying to do everything "the right way", cuz then you wouldn't have my problem and will probably be a better guitarist for it, but if you're already immersed in your own way, you'll have to work at it.