Hello I just started playing on May 2008 I only know how to read tabs and haven't had any real lessons.

I have only learned two songs Iron Man and Electric funeral

I want to know what are some easy songs and what would be a good practice to play faster

and how can I get use to using my pinkie

one last question I am practicing the song Otherside but on All tabs there is a part were you hold down all strings but i only have 4 fingers to use how am I supposed to play this part here is my gear below

Squire By Fender Bullet Stratocaster

Fender frontman 10W Amp

Live wire advantage instrument cable
for the chord (all the strings part) you just have to put your index across all your strings and then the other three to finish the chord.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
To get your pinky into shape do this tab.

1-2-3-4

with one being your pointer and 4 being the pinkyd.

do this on all the strings to build up strength!

As far as that song is concerned one finger can hold multiple strings.
Quote by 6stringplayer
Hello I just started playing on May 2008 I only know how to read tabs and haven't had any real lessons.

I have only learned two songs Iron Man and Electric funeral

I want to know what are some easy songs and what would be a good practice to play faster

and how can I get use to using my pinkie

one last question I am practicing the song Otherside but on All tabs there is a part were you hold down all strings but i only have 4 fingers to use how am I supposed to play this part here is my gear below

Squire By Fender Bullet Stratocaster

Fender frontman 10W Amp

Live wire advantage instrument cable

are you talking about something that looks like this?

E|-----1----------------------------|
B|-----1----------------------------|
G|-----2----------------------------|
D|-----3----------------------------|
A|-----3----------------------------|
E|-----1----------------------------|

This is a barre chord.
The strings with the same annotated fret are held down by your first finger laid flat across that fret. they're not too easy to do, I only really had them down after a little more than a year.

To learn to play faster, use a metronome. Start at about 60BPM, and work your way up from there.

Easy songs: I would suggest Black Sabbath by Black sabbath, and Immigrant Song b Led Zeppelin, or Black Dog by Led Zeppelin.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 11, 2008,
I think Youtube would help you out a bit.

Try searching "guitar chords" on youtube. You'll learn some fingering there.

As for using your pinky, I suggest learning some scales...

Here's the A minor pentatonic scale. Pentatonic scales are used often in soloing, so I suggest learning this.

e------------------------------------------------5---8---5------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------5---8----------------8---5----------------------------------------
G-----------------------------5---7----------------------------------7---5--------------------------------
D---------------------5---7---------------------------------------------------7---5-----------------------
A------------5---7---------------------------------------------------------------------7---5--------------
E----5---8--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------8---5-----

On the fifth fret, use your first finger (pointer finger). On the seventh fret, user your third finger (ring finger). On the 8th fret, use your pinky.

While your doing that, make sure you're alternate picking. Downstroke on the first note you play on a string, and upstroke on the second note. That will help you increase your speed while playing.

If you need help with alternate picking and finger dexterity, here's another exercise...

e--------------------------------
B--------------------------------
G------------8---5--------------
D---------7----------6----------
A------6----------------7-------
E---5----------------------8----

Again, assign one finger per fret. 5th fret, pointer. 6th, middle. 7th, ring. 8th, pinky.

Alternate pick every note. Downstroke first, then upstroke on the next string. That's what alternate picking is...alternating between up and downstrokes.

This will also help your ability to switch between strings while picking.

These two exercises will really help your technique if you practice them. I was surprised when I saw Joe Satriani in Guitar Player magazine teaching about that second exercise. Made me feel better about my own playing, to know that I was doing it, and so was Satch.
The intro to "last child" by Aerosmith will help your pinky, and it's simple/cool sounding. I would also recommend "Black Dog" or "Living Loving Maid" by Led Zeppelin. Also, as much as I hate to say it, you should learn chords.

Start out with an E minor chord, and an A major chord, and practice switching. Then learn a D major and G Major chord. You can find them all here:

http://www.guitarchordsmagic.com/guitar-chord-charts/free-printable-guitar-chord-chart.html
well if you wonna learn a slow not to hard solo try the one in californiacation by RHCP. Heartbreaker by Led Zeppelin is not so hard either at least the main riff. I don't really know what kind of music you specifically like so if you could tell us that would help. Also the beginning riff of Scotty doesn't know by Lustra was one of my first goals when I started out playing guitar, it also makes you use alternate picking which is a good practice to begin with.
Also pretty much all Nirvana songs are easy.

just another hint I tried to play way too hard songs right when I started out and it sometimes makes you wonna break your guitar The Who style. SO if something doesn't work don't we all started out like that .

enjoy playing!!