I've never really been educated about this or discussed it before. What is the correct way to turn a guitar amp off (obviously it will differ with the type of amp i.e. if it's a tube amp, if it has a standby switch on it etc)?

For instance, if you just turn the power off straight away after playing it typically results in a 'pop' - which to my knowledge isn't a good sign.

Comments?
Searchbar is a start.

But ill say it here.
You are done playing so you turn your guitar volume right down, then turn the standby switch on/off (some amps differ) and then turn the power switch off after waiting 10 seconds or so.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Dont really know myself.

I just lower the guitar volume all the way, rack it, then lower the amp master volume all the way then hit the power.

Reverse when turning on.
well you shouldnt just cut the power without even bothering to turn it off, use the on/off switch...

SS = On-->Off

Tube = On --> Standby --> Off

Allthough its not so important to follow the order when you turn it off...
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
I don't think it matters with a solid state. Just make sure you keep the line in muted. I think the think most likely to be damaged is the speakers, so maybe try to switch it to clean or turn the volume down, for the next time.

With tube amps. Turn the power switch on by itself, wait a few minute, then flip the standby switch. Most amps I have come in contact with, the switches will be in the same position when you can play through it. Maybe this little chart will help a bit. Bolded is the direction of the switch

OFF

Power on Standby off

Power off Standby on

WARMING UP

Power On Standby off

Power off Standby on

PLAYING MODE

Power On Standby off
Quote by MAYNARD
I don't think it matters with a solid state. Just make sure you keep the line in muted. I think the think most likely to be damaged is the speakers, so maybe try to switch it to clean or turn the volume down, for the next time.

With tube amps. Turn the power switch on by itself, wait a few minute, then flip the standby switch. Most amps I have come in contact with, the switches will be in the same position when you can play through it. Maybe this little chart will help a bit. Bolded is the direction of the switch

OFF

Power on Standby off

Power off Standby on

WARMING UP

Power On Standby off

Power off Standby on

PLAYING MODE

Power On Standby off

My amp begs to differ.

When I'm playing the standby is on, which i think it's wrong, but it varies through brand.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
In simpler terms, to turn off your TUBE amp, hit the standby switch then hit the power switch
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
the order for turning off things doesn't matter as long as both switches are in the correct places at the end.

the standby mode only heats up the tubes without putting a signal through them, so why would you need to do it and leave a gap between flicking the two switches when you're turning the amp off?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Marvel at my ASCII skillz.
___
.88. }On
\__/
__
/...\
.88. }Off
```

---
To turn valve amp on:

Both switches set to OFF
Power--Standby

/...\-----/...\
.88.----.88.
````------````

Standby set to ON, Power set to OFF.
Power--Standby

/...\-------___
.88.------.88.
````-------\__/

Both switches set to ON.
Power--Standby
___---___
.88.---.88.
\__/---\__/

---

To turn it off, just turn them both off, it doesn't matter.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
the standby mode only heats up the tubes without putting a signal through them, so why would you need to do it and leave a gap between flicking the two switches when you're turning the amp off?

A good question! The first reason is that if you put the amp in standby for 30 seconds before you turn it off, it helps drain the filter caps a bit and extends their life. The second reason is that on some amps, you'll get a pop when you turn the amp off. Many amps have a bypass cap on the standby switch to remove the pop, so it helps to put it in standby first to avoid the popping, which might damage the speaker.
These are not essential things, your amp won't blow up if you turn it off without going into standby, but unless you're in a big hurry I don't see any downside to doing it properly. Extending the life of your amp is always good
Quote by Warped Signal
What if the tube amp does not have a standby switch?

Just wait for a minute before you play anything after turning it on and turn it off as you would any other amp.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Just wait for a minute before you play anything after turning it on and turn it off as you would any other amp.

Thanks for the help!
Quote by Lemoninfluence
the order for turning off things doesn't matter as long as both switches are in the correct places at the end.

Exactly. This. This. I just turn it off. Makes no difference. I don't even use standby when turning it on. People scaremonger over tubes too much i've found.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I use standby for turning it on and off. I usually leave it on standby until I finish wrapping my cables and putting my guitar away, then I hit the power switch.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
god some people are dumb. think about it. if you turn the standby on before you turn the power on, nothing it going to happen, because there is NO POWER. and when you turn it off, just turn off standby, strum the strings to get the excess noise off and then turn the power on. not that difficult.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Every amp seems to have a slightly different design when it comes to a standby switch. My Kustom you flip the power on leave the standby off to warm up then flip standby on to play. You can just flip both off when done or flip standby off then power off. My solid state flip the switch I never worry about turning things down or whatever. My Kustom if you just flip both switches on and play you wont get anything for 20 seconds or so until the tubes warm up.
Quote by pmeg568c
god some people are dumb. think about it. if you turn the standby on before you turn the power on, nothing it going to happen, because there is NO POWER. and when you turn it off, just turn off standby, strum the strings to get the excess noise off and then turn the power on. not that difficult.

That is exactly what I do.

And if my Standby switch is not turned on - there is no sound BTW.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 11, 2008,
Turning the amp off without putting it into standby is fine, but more then likely you will hear a very loud pop which is one reason most people will put there amp into standby first...
^ Basically. It also means you don't have to worry about flicking the standby switch the next time you turn it on.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
the vk user guide stresses to leave it on standby for a full 60 seconds before cutting power off, to help protect the tubes...so what the hell, i do it...
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Supro high-gain pocket amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

I have 2 heads, but only enuff blood to run 1 @ a time. Gravity pulls down. Not My Fault, Girls!
Quote by Roc8995
A good question! The first reason is that if you put the amp in standby for 30 seconds before you turn it off, it helps drain the filter caps a bit and extends their life. The second reason is that on some amps, you'll get a pop when you turn the amp off. Many amps have a bypass cap on the standby switch to remove the pop, so it helps to put it in standby first to avoid the popping, which might damage the speaker.
These are not essential things, your amp won't blow up if you turn it off without going into standby, but unless you're in a big hurry I don't see any downside to doing it properly. Extending the life of your amp is always good

This.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by timi_hendrix

really? because I read somewhere that it's okay to just turn it off? but better to be safe than sorry, rieeeght!?

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by sloppyjoe24
really? because I read somewhere that it's okay to just turn it off? but better to be safe than sorry, rieeeght!?

it's ok to just turn it off but when you're turning it on it's a good idea to not play anything for a little bit after turning the power on.

Quote by Roc8995
Extending the life of your amp is always good

but you're talking minimal extension and there's no guarantee that something ELSE won't go wrong.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
With my Marshall, I flip the red switch first, which is the power switch. Nothing comes on if you switch the black switch. The red switch warms the power tubes. Technically you turn the standby "off", but most/some amps have it labeled as on.