is there a certain setting my pickup selector should be on while tuning my strat?
Nope!
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
The volume need to be up though.
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
it really doesnt matter but i always put my switch in the middle just so it has an absolutely perfect sound. really doesnt matter tho cuz no one tunes 100% perfect everytime they tune anyways.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
thanks for the help but everytime i tune my guitar it will sound different and i wasnt sure why
could be ur tuning pegs. tighten em up a little at the end. they should get a little harder to turn. (which means they wont get out of tune as fast)
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Quote by NSHSpolevault
could be ur tuning pegs. tighten em up a little at the end. they should get a little harder to turn. (which means they wont get out of tune as fast)

Where do you tighten them? On the edge of the machine head or on the back of the headstock?
--GEAR--

Guitars: Switch Wild I & Ibanez RG

Amp: Fender Frontman 25r & Marshall MG10CD
It might be because you are using a different PUP(pick up) position. If you use the Bridge PUP then you get a more trebley sound. If you use the neck PUP you get a more bassy sound. Mid PUP would be a bit of both.

I think that might be what you are experiencing.
Make sure your volume is all the way up, assuming you are pluging the guitar into the tuner... I did that a few times when i started... felt real dumb when I realized the problem.

edit: ahh, someone already said that.
Quote by Gawne4ever
Where do you tighten them? On the edge of the machine head or on the back of the headstock?

Edge of the machine head, I haven't seen many guitars with tuners like that though, but my Jackson does, would you happen to know what they're called?
if there isnt a screw on the end of the machine head you can always take off the back covering (those without end screws usually have a cover depending on ur guitar) and try to tighten it from there. dont kno exactly how its done but thats how to do it if there isnt a screw.

or just get new tuners.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
hah! who needs a tuner?
music is like candy
you get rid of all the rappers
Quote by domaraq
hah! who needs a tuner?

if u read his question then u'd kno the tuner isn't even the problem.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Someone once told me to use neck pickup with volume all up and tone all the way down. I figure this gives a more pure sound, and lets the tuner focus on 1 simple frequency, rather than having anything extra in there. Seems to work for me, and I tune using the harmonics on the 12th fret (after an open string tune). I also find using both (or more than one) pickup makes the tuner take longer to decide ona frequency...I don't think there are any rules as such regarding what pickup you use though...just preference.

As an afterthought, if you were in a band with 2 guitarists, and you tune to the other persons guitar, make sure you use the same pickup, to make it easier for your ears to hear the differences
Quote by Warthchild13

As an afterthought, if you were in a band with 2 guitarists, and you tune to the other persons guitar, make sure you use the same pickup, to make it easier for your ears to hear the differences

+1

also use the same tuner.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!