I have a Digitech RP350 multiFX and like it real well, but it doesn't have its own effects loop to be able to use the "4 cable method" to split certain affects before and after the amp's preamp using the amp's loop. So I run it with direct amp/cab (no modeling) in the amp's loop and use it as a floor tuner, volume pedal, EQ, noisegate, and for certain effects like phaser/flanger/chorus when I use them. It works well, but I like compressor and distortion/overdrive before the amp's preamp so I have separate stompboxes and use my amp's 2nd channel some.

I've been looking for an overdrive pedal with a very warm, mild, happy tone but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. The Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and Fulltone OCD are probably about as close as I've heard to what I'm looking for. But I hate to be tied into just one tone for such expensive pedals. I've also considered the Digitech Tone Driver, Screamin' Blues, and Bad Monkey. Still keeping an eye on Craigslist and Ebay but haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.

I was thinking yesterday about possibly getting a 2nd multi FX unit and putting it in front of the amp instead of a stompbox. That would give a bunch of different modeled stompboxes and compression in front of the preamp to play with and would be versatile. I could probably find something really cheap too since it wouldn't need to have an expression pedal. Anyone else tried this?
I'm confused. 2 Multi effects boxes doesn't sound good to me. Are you wanting to plug them in together or have one for each amp channel or what?

The RP obviously has true analog bypass but I can't imagine combining it with something else. I tried it once with my Bad Monkey and got all kinds of crazy things.
It wouldn't very well work because it does not have an fx loop, but if you do :

Guitar - OD/pedal - MultiFX - Amp

It shouldn't be too bad. Don't quote me on this, though. You'd have to test it out.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Quote by Cynoxx
It wouldn't very well work because it does not have an fx loop, but if you do :

Guitar - OD/pedal - MultiFX - Amp

It shouldn't be too bad. Don't quote me on this, though. You'd have to test it out.

I've done that and it's kind of whacked. I'm -

Guitar > Multi > OD > Amp no loops.

But then again, i turn off the Multi when I want OD so that doesn't really help hunter33 I guess.

Hunter, what are you trying to do again? What sound do you feel you are missing? What amp? 2 channel I just reread. 1 input jack? Footswitch?
If you have a FX loop yea you could run one MFX unit in the loop with modulation FX. And the other MFX in front of your amp with compression, distortion, tuner etc. Dont know how good it will sound. And you may have some volume issues the MFX I have tends to be pretty loud as it resets the master volume everytime its turned off. But running 2 MFX between your guitar and amp wont work so well.
What I do is I get an overdrive and shove it in front of the multi FX, and I use the FX as a rack unit basiclly.

Dare I say it, but the tone I get from that gives me a decent sound from an MG.

Yup, I said it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Tackleberry has it ... that's what I'm talking about. Basically running my existing Digitech RP350 in the amp's effects loop for modulation effects and for the volume pedal/noisegate/floor EQ & tuning functionality. I use direct mode on the RP350 so there is no stacking of pre-amps or modeling of any amp or cab ... the sound is the basic tone of my amp. Then using a 2nd multi effects unit plugged into the input but only using it to model distortion or OD stompboxes and maybe a compressor or wah for fun.

On my amp, compressor and distortion or overdrive stompboxes don't sound right in the effects loop, so I run them in the amp's input in front of the amp's preamp. I already have a DOD Milkbox compressor that works well, and I have a Digitech Hothead distortion pedal that I like for 80's metal type stuff. I need and a couple different overdrive tones for the music I play and the amp's 2nd channel works good but that is only one tone. I've been trying out several different overdrive pedals trying to get a warm & mild overdriven tone, but got to thinking that maybe a multi effects unit would be cool ... because then it would have several overdrives modeled in it to try out rather than continuing to search for the right overdrive pedal. The multifx would have to be able to model several overdrive stompboxes, but I really wouldn't care if it did anything else. Was just thinking it would be a cheap way to get several overdrive tones inexpensively without having to buy multiple overdrive pedals. I had an RP250 and sold it recently and sort of wish I still had it now ... it would have worked perfectly.
i guess that makes more sense but I guess I don't see how a Multi effects pedal is going to give you good Overdrive - i mean technically and sonically (word?).

i would go buy a cheap Bad Monkey for $50 and maybe RP150 or 90 or something - see which works best - and then return 1 or Both after you settle in.

just imo
The overdrives sound very good in the RP350 (and the 250 when I had it) but I can't use them right now since I run the 350 in the effects loop of the amp. This would place any overdrive stompbox modeling in between the amp's preamp and power amp and won't sound right. If I still had that 250 it would have been perfect to test this idea with.

Some multi FX can sound very good if used properly. I'm convinced that alot of folks who don't like it are stacking preamps, running distortion & overdrive in the effects loop, or doing other stuff like that that makes it sound bad.
Quote by hunter33
The overdrives sound very good in the RP350 (and the 250 when I had it) but I can't use them right now since I run the 350 in the effects loop of the amp. This would place any overdrive stompbox modeling in between the amp's preamp and power amp and won't sound right. If I still had that 250 it would have been perfect to test this idea with.

Some multi FX can sound very good if used properly. I'm convinced that alot of folks who don't like it are stacking preamps, running distortion & overdrive in the effects loop, or doing other stuff like that that makes it sound bad.

OK. I'm with ya. Did you notice I have a 250? So can I ask you, what settings did you use when you tweaked the OD on the 250/350. And, did you then save that as a preset or layer more stuff on top? Oh, and I agree with OD in loop, bad bad idea.
Cool on the 250, I liked mine and would still have it but I ran across the 350 cheap and sold the 250 for $10 more than I paid for the 350

On the 250 I did use to run it in front of the amp before eventually settling on putting it in the loop. When it was in front of the preamp I would use the modeled DOD250 for overdrive ... it gave the warmest overdrive of all the modeled pedals. I don't have the settings/patches any more because I deleted all the 250 patches after getting the 350. On the 350 there is a model for the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and it's by far my favorite, but I run the 350 in the loop so I can't use that modeler right now because it doesn't sound right unless in front of the amp's preamp. I pretty much always run Direct settings on the speaker and cab modeling so my amp's natural preamp & speaker tone are what come out. (also so there is no preamp stacking) Then layer the modeled OD on top with some EQ and noise gate and not much else. Yes, they were saved as presets with several different levels of overdrive in patches saved right next to each other. I use the expression pedal as a volume control for volume swells and for muting the amp between songs. And of course the floor tuner. You can do a lot and make some pretty spacey sounds with these RP multiFX units. But I'm basically using the RP350 as a replacement for a few stompboxes, and definitely not using anywhere near its full functionality.

I ran across a nice looking pedal on Ebay yesterday and picked it up ... a Rocktron Austin Gold overdrive. It sounds real nice in online clips and I'm going to give it a try to see if it will work for this application.