i have an ibanez with an edge 3 tremelo that has locking nuts at the end of the guitar(similar to floyd rose) and i had paid a guy to change the strings and fine tune it about 2 weeks ago. i was wondering if i unswcrewed the locking nut to de-tune the d string if that would mess the other strings up, or if it woud mess it up if i put it back to standard e tuning. thank you---- ive desided to plan on buying a evh d-tuna. thank you for those who helped
Last edited by jdog_has_ibanez at Jul 11, 2008,
Uhh, yeah you can.
You'll need to adjust the floyd though, I think the truss rod should be fine.
u have to get it set

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
If you just use the fine tuners it SHOULD work if you left yourself enough threading...

But bartdevil is right, it's a pain in the ass just to try and tune down in a floating bridge because it relies on the string tension and as soon as you tune down the string tension goes down which in turn lowers the bridge.

However you can tune down to drop d, it's just a bitch to do
Quote by caraluzzo
Uhh, yeah you can.
You'll need to adjust the floyd though, I think the truss rod should be fine.

wait... i have to set the floyd rose (like going into the back of my guitar and stuff) just to detune 1 string?
D-Tuna?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by deafening
u have to get it set

It's too much effort, id rarther play a different guitar that allows me to tune up and down all day long instead of having to fux with everything whenever i wana play something...
Unlock, and put the fine tuner of the low E string all the way down (as tight as possible). Then tune to regular tuning, and lock the nut again. When u want to go to drop D, just loosen the fine tuner on the E string so it can go down to D, without needing to unlock again.
If he uses the bridge then he shouldn't get a tremol-no. You just have to set the guitar up in drop D, it'll take like 15-20 minutes at the most.
Quote by caraluzzo
If he uses the bridge then he shouldn't get a tremol-no. You just have to set the guitar up in drop D, it'll take like 15-20 minutes at the most.

Lol... in comparrison to a tuning peg which takes one second with a decent bridge... I'd have the bridge ripped out and destroyed, and replaced with something that gives you flexibility...
EVH D-Tuna? Don't know if you can use it with that bridge or not, but hey, that's exactly what the thing is built for.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Dude, once you tune from standard to drop D your bridge is going to drop. Pop open the back of your guitar (where the springs are) and then unlock the locking nuts. Put the low E in D, and then tune all the other too. Repeat it until all the strings are in tune and you loosen the bridge to where it's leveled. Remember to tighten the fine tuner a little, because once you put the locking nut back on the strings might have a bit more tension. Once you put the locking nut back on, retune it using the fine tuners and you're done. It's not hard at all, it takes like 15-20 minutes as I said before. Everybody should learn to work on all there stuff instead of paying somebody else to do it. It takes a little bit of time at first, but once you do it a few times it's really simple.

You don't need to block the trem or anything. And if you have a guitar without a trem, you still have the truss rod to worry about if you're dropping down too far.
You can if you set it up properly, it will untune your other strings a bit so you'll need to compensate a little. You need to learn how to do these things yourself, it's a pain in the a-hole but it will help you understand the mechanics of your instrument. Here's how to do it.

Unlock your strings at the nut, set all the fine tuners as close to the middle as possible, to do this, count how many times the fine tuner turns from all the way up to all the way down and divide that number by 2, that will tell you approximately were the middle is.

Then tune your guitar like you normally would with the headstock tuners but tune the top string to the note inbetween the standard tuning and the drop tuning. For example, if it's from E standard to Drop D then tune the sixth string to Eb.

If you want to do it completely right then you'll need to make sure your bridge is level, intonation is set up and adjust the truss rod until everything is perfect and in tune with the top string tuned to Eb.

Now lock your strings at the nut and fine tune with the top string stil tuned to Eb. Once you've done that tune it to standard tuning or drop tuning to your pleasure.

I set up all my guitars with floating bridges this way and I always install a Tremsetter to add a little stability to the floating bridge. Some people may block their bridges so that it won't untune, but I like to keep my a full floating bridge.
Last edited by Bertallica at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by jdog_has_ibanez
i have an ibanez with an edge 3 tremelo that has locking nuts at the end of the guitar(similar to floyd rose) and i had paid a guy to change the strings and fine tune it about 2 weeks ago. i was wondering if i unswcrewed the locking nut to de-tune the d string if that would mess the other strings up, or if it woud mess it up if i put it back to standard e tuning. thank you

As soon as you start dropping the E string all the other strings will go sharp, whether you use the fine tuners or headstock tuners, regardless of whether the nuts locked.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You people put too much thought into this stuff. Put a block of wood on your trem blocking it to dive only. Problem solved. A Treml-No is good if you plan on switching, but the wood works fine otherwise. My Charvel was like this YEARS before I got it, and always worked fine.
Dude, I'm sure he wants to use the damn tremelo. It's not putting to much thought into it, it's teaching him how to setup his own guitars, everyone should know how to do it. It's not like the tremelo is just for diving.
Quote by metal4ever6328
I use drop D with a trem.

Me too, its really easy, I've never had any problems.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by steven seagull
As soon as you start dropping the E string all the other strings will go sharp, whether you use the fine tuners or headstock tuners, regardless of whether the nuts locked.

This. I have an Edge III and have tried it, it won't work unless you tremol-no it.
Quote by caraluzzo
Dude, I'm sure he wants to use the damn tremelo. It's not putting to much thought into it, it's teaching him how to setup his own guitars, everyone should know how to do it. It's not like the tremelo is just for diving.

I know, but it doesn't take paragraphs to explain a cheap, 5 minute fix. And you can still use the tremolo...
Well, taking it step by step is alot better then just telling him to go for it and have him mess up somehow. Like I said, everybody should learn to mess with a floyd. He's obviously never done it before, but he needs to learn how to. It beats spending time and money on something he could do in his spare time.
Quote by caraluzzo
Well, taking it step by step is alot better then just telling him to go for it and have him mess up somehow. Like I said, everybody should learn to mess with a floyd. He's obviously never done it before, but he needs to learn how to. It beats spending time and money on something he could do in his spare time.

I've worked on Floyds for quite awhile now. On a FULLY FLOATING trem, there is no easy way to adjust it so it does not go out of tune when you change the tuning on one of the other strings. A block of wood is quick, easy, can't damage anything, and solves the issue.
There actually IS an EASY way of drop-D tuning on a fully floating trem, everyone in this thread, it's called, a Tremol-No!

Get a Tremol-No, set it on Hardtail or Dive-only, and drop your low E to D, all the other strings will be fine. DON'T get a D-Tuna, they're not quality devices.
HEY LISTEN
I have a Floyd Rose on my Stagemaster and a Lo-TRS thing on my Ibanez. Just set it so that the fine tuner is fully in (or almost) when its tune to E. Then lock it and everything. Then just unscrew it to D. It works perfect for me.