Page 1 of 2
So I got a good deal on a Ibanez RG350DX, as in I went and bought it because it was a decent price and I've never owned a trem guitar before so I thought it would be fun.

Now I'm a Les Paul guy. I always play les pauls, I can't afford Gibsons so its always with Epiphone with me. Kids at my school who go down the path of the Les Paul usually all have Epiphone. I've played the ZW Epi, the LP Custom. LP-100 etc. I love em all. I love the feel of those guitars I AM a Les Paul kinda guy.

But, I tried something new, the Ibanez. And you can all guess what I'm about to say.
"Blah blah blah the neck is square?? its so paper thin the gutair feels like its gonna break"

But thats not the reason, the reason is when I play my new Ibanez for even 15 minutes. Then pick up a loved Les Paul, the Les Paul ultimately feels alien.

Like, wow it feels so strange to compared to what I was just using. 24 frets? really thin squarish neck? and just the feel of the guitar, totally makes my les paul seem alien to me, almost as if I've never played it.

Note how I always play Epiphones, because thats the guitar brand I grew up playing with and I'm not rich, always staying in a 200$-600$ range.

Should I get rid of my Ibanez and just buy another Les Paul?
Are there other guitars similar to the Les Paul that I should have a look it?

Thanks.
Your friend, Sessler.
well does the alien feel of the les paul make it feel worse or better? also you can get LTD ec which are more or less the same as les pauls except they have 24 frets, and depending on the modely ou get EMG pickups, everyone i know sais they are superior to the Epi les pauls so you could try one of them out.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
all guitars feel different
if you dont want to feel anything but les pauls, only buy les pauls,
you should dump that ibanez
Well it makes them feel so alien that Its almost hard to play the Les Paul again. The neck is a totally different shape. And the les paul has 22 frets. And going from 24 shark tooth inlays into 22 box pearls It just messes with me.

I'm just stating how I prefer the LP above it.

I'm really interesting in the LTD les pauls, they look pretty good.
get rid of both guitars :p

I dislike both brands, i'd try a fender tele squier if you're after that price range, could even get a 2nd hand tele fender real for that price range.
do you really need some reassurance?
if you dont seem satisfied, get rid of it

if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay?
Erm thats a tricky one because new gear is always more exciting than the old stuff for a while.
Changing guitars wont do anything if you like the ibanez just keep playing both and youll find that the LP can satisfy you in someones and the ibanez in others.

I kinda had this problem but with pedals, i got a proco rat 2 and i love it to bits and it basically for a month made my big muff redundant, however adfter a while of just using the rat i found that the big muff could do things the rat couldnt.

So my advice is play the guitar your in the mood for playing dont get rid of your les paul, coz atm your just getting used to and over your new guitar
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
Quote by Anthony1991
get rid of both guitars :p

I dislike both brands, i'd try a fender tele squier if you're after that price range, could even get a 2nd hand tele fender real for that price range.

fenders are gay and for people with no balls

anyway to the TC you really should try the LTD's they are much higher quality for the price you pay, and they look better imo
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221

anyway to the TC you really should try the LTD's they are much higher quality for the price you pay, and they look better imo

lol and ibanez's are for people who like to think they have big balls. When they really dont, ibanez's are terrible guitars, they feel terrible, sound horrible and there like Alienware, overated.
i have 2 ibanez guitars, one was a starter pack guitar (it's a sturdy and reliable guitar, but it really could have been made better.. ) and a much newer SA36 (a B E A utiful guitar, well made, sturdy and reliable, with en excellent sound), and i have to say that i prefer my ibanez's over most other guitars. although truth be told, i have never had a decent playing time with a les paul, i still back the ibanez all the way.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by Anthony1991
lol and ibanez's are for people who like to think they have big balls. When they really dont, ibanez's are terrible guitars, they feel terrible, sound horrible and there like Alienware, overated.

i didnt even mention ibanez i reccomended an LTD you ignorant ****
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
you could try a schecter guitar maybe? Or if you can afford one a prs?
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Quote by Anthony1991

If they are terrible guitars, feel terrible and sound horrible then why people like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai are using Ibanez guitars ?
Quote by Anthony1991

completely subjective.

If the Epiphone feels uncomfortable to play after playing the Ibanez maybe you've just found the guitar for you. You seem to be wanting to stay with epiphone because they're what you've used in the past but if you were to say that about anything else it wouldn't make sense.

if you used a Mac and then found your windows PC's User interface to be cumbersome and overly complicated, why would you want to go back to using it (all other things being equal obviously)?

Do you like the tone of the Ibanez? Do you like how it feels when you play it? if the answer is yes then it doesn't really make sense to go back to the epiphone.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I paid 300$ for the Ibanez. Well I was just thinking I could suck it up and try both. But things would get mixed up.

But, I'm thinking about selling the Ibanez and just buying a Epi Custom, the black one with gold hardware, always wanted a guitar like that.
Quote by Anthony1991

Hahahahaaa ohhhhh UG, you never fail to supply me with a boundless cornucopia of remarkably ignorant users. Every time I come on here I think to myself, "Hey, maybe the general populace of UG will be smarter/more mature/better educated/less ignorant than the last time I was here."

Then someone like Anthony1991 posts and it makes me sad.

Well, do you want to play the Ibanez or Les Paul? Or you could do both. But, you would need to get used to it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i love aliens, especially when there guitars
GEAR:
Black Epiphone G-310 SG
White Ibanez RG120
Digitech RP250 Multi-Effects Pedal
Raven RG100H and RG412 Half Stack
Lemoninfluence I understand what your trying to say, but the LP just feels more comfy to me. And its what I'm use to, meaning I play alot better because of that. If I started on a totally alien guitar I would be less effective with my LPs.

Never even payed attention to Schecter, but all in all I will try a Ltd ec-1000 to see if thats the one to replace my recently bought Ibanez.
i would highly reccomend the EC 1000 over the Epi custom its a much higher quality guitar for the price you pay
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Quote by Sessler
Lemoninfluence I understand what your trying to say, but the LP just feels more comfy to me. And its what I'm use to, meaning I play alot better because of that. If I started on a totally alien guitar I would be less effective with my LPs.

Never even payed attention to Schecter, but all in all I will try a Ltd ec-1000 to see if thats the one to replace my recently bought Ibanez.

I'm gunna second that motion, as the entire 1000 series from ESP is genius. You can snag one for under $500 on eBay or Craigslist, and they are simply gorgeous guitars in all of the Big Three categories: tone, playability, and looks.
$300 for that guitar is a good deal. getting used to a new guitar takes time. after a while, you won't feel weird alternating between the guitars
Quote by Lemoninfluence
completely subjective.

If the Epiphone feels uncomfortable to play after playing the Ibanez maybe you've just found the guitar for you. You seem to be wanting to stay with epiphone because they're what you've used in the past but if you were to say that about anything else it wouldn't make sense.

if you used a Mac and then found your windows PC's User interface to be cumbersome and overly complicated, why would you want to go back to using it (all other things being equal obviously)?

Do you like the tone of the Ibanez? Do you like how it feels when you play it? if the answer is yes then it doesn't really make sense to go back to the epiphone.

i agree. if you buy a new guitar which makes your current favourite guitar not feel as good, maybe the new one is your new favourite guitar?

i also agree with the posts saying that you might just like it more because it's new... wait a while and play both and see how you feel in a few weeks' or months' time...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I might aswell throw in a quick question. I have a Line 6 Spider III 75.
Now I want a foot switch for that, should I just get the simple one with 4 buttons? or do those bigger Line 6 PODs work for the amp too?
Quote by Sessler
I might aswell throw in a quick question. I have a Line 6 Spider III 75.
Now I want a foot switch for that, should I just get the simple one with 4 buttons? or do those bigger Line 6 PODs work for the amp too?

the bigger PODs like the pod xt live are completely separate from the amp themselves. They're multi FX pedals that you plug into the amp but they don't control the effects/presets on the amp itself.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Whoever said Ibbys suck needs some knowledge, and that's coming from somebody who can't stand them, but I know they're amazing guitars depending on the model.

As for the person who started this thread.
I think you should try holding onto the guitar for a while and see how you feel in a couple weeks or so. Does the Ibby have a tremelo? Either way, I'm sure it has it's advantages over the Epiphone you're using. I agree with whoever said that you should try the 1000 series of LTD's. If you save up a bit more cash, like around $750-$850 then you could always try snagging a used ESP off of ebay or craiglist too. You should do your research on whatever you try getting, instead of just buying a guitar you're obviously clueless about like you did with the Ibby.
Les Pauls have a thick neck, and you like them. Ibanezs have a thin neck, so of course you aren't going to like it. Not everybody likes the same guitars, that's why they make different ones.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Les Pauls have a thick neck, and you like them. Ibanezs have a thin neck, so of course you aren't going to like it. Not everybody likes the same guitars, that's why they make different ones.

he said the Les Paul feels weird after playing the Ibanez, not the Ibanez feels weird.

that makes me think he actually likes the Ibanez but for some reason doesn't want to not get a les paul.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Anthony1991

Sorry but I'd buy a nice Ibanez prestige over a boring old fender any day of the week.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
The exact same thing happened to me when I got my RGT, but I'm doing the opposite as you (OP) I'm selling my Explorer and Ibanez semi-hollow because that Wizard II neck is so perfect for my huge hands, I can sit and play it for days and never get tired.

After I play the RGT and switch to my Explorer (which is usually tuned down to D or drop C) it feels like I have a 2x4 in my hand, the body is just so much less ergonomic and the neck feels so thick and this is the guitar I learned on and which felt like an extension of my body just a month ago.
Guitars:
Carvin DC145
Epiphone Explorer with Seymour Duncan JB and '59
Ibanez RGT42FXQM with Dimarzio Evo 2 and PAF Joe
Amp:
Carvin V3 2x12 combo with JJ 6L6GC tubes

Bass:
Ibanez SR300IPT
Amp:
Carvin BX600 2x10 half stack
You shoulda tried it out before you bought it.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Quote by sixwingmortal
You shoulda tried it out before you bought it.

he should have played it and then picked up his epi les paul and saw how it would feel after playing the ibanez?

The problem isn't with his Ibanez, the problem is with the les paul or at least that's the guitar that feels strange.

Quote by element4433
Quote by mrbungle50221

:rofl: Well, someone's an idiot.

Hint: Its you.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Anthony1991

+1,000,000.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Page 1 of 2