I've always wanted to learn how to skate and the only skateboard I have is a Dragonball Z skateboard from KMart I got when I was a lot younger. My birthday's coming up and I want to get a real skateboard, but I'm completely lost. Can someone help me figure how what skateboard is good for a beginner? Oh and I'm not sure whether I will be doing street skating or skating halfpipes and such. So something fairly versatile would be cool too. Thanks
:stickpoke thats pretty much it
First off how old are you? If you are like 18, good luck at getting good until you are about 25, unless you are super-human.

Get a complete

I prefer Girl, but there are loads of others.
Enjois are good too.
Get venture trucks, or Royals.
Spitfire wheels(duh!)
and for bearings, get ABEC 7.

Again though this is all personal prefrence, try different stuff out.
if your a beginner you don't really have any preferences so it doesn't really matter. Just go to a skate shop and they'll walk you through everything. Then later on you might decide you want a wider/thinner board or bigger/smaller wheels ect.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
+1 to getting a complete just get a £32 complete and see if you like it
yup its a sig... yeaaah..
I'd say get a blank from your local skateshop and some cheap trucks like Lucky's and blank wheels. Won't cost you too much but it's still good.
iv been skating for the past 7 years

for begining, looking in to fracture setups

http://www.routeone.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?CurrentCategory=Departments%7cskate%7cskateboard%7cSkateboardCompletes&ProdId=31611

if your not sure what sorta style of skating your going to be doing, gho for standard 54mm wheels as they will do everything, usualy vert skaters have bigger wheels and wider boards where as street skaters have smaller wheels and narrower wheels but it does come down to prefrence.

personaly i ride almost decks and krux trucks with cheap ****ty urathan wheels as i love powersliding big ass ramps.

if your looking into bearings, go for bones reds, there the best bearings i have found for there price and you can get them real cheap on ebay

well good luck
Last edited by MoshMaster at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by daeqwon10000
First off how old are you? If you are like 18, good luck at getting good until you are about 25, unless you are super-human.

Is it harder to learn at an older age or something?
We often feel sad in the presence of music without words; and often more than that in the presence of music without music -M. Twain
yeah I would definetly reccomend buying a blank deck, quality wise they are just as good and you save lots of money. I've been skating blanks for years.

But it all does come down to preference.

I skate freestyle, and I like real small wheels, low light trucks, and thin light decks with as little pop and concave as possible. After skating a while you'll find what feels right to you.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Last edited by pawnluv at Jul 11, 2008,
just go to www.ccs.com and get one of their blanks. Simple as that and they've also got tons of other stuff that might tickle you just right.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think you're the only person on the planet who is worried about how mainstream muffins are.
Quote by FrontMan66
Is it harder to learn at an older age or something?

No but on average to get decent at skating takes a long time
Quote by mygibsonrocks
I've always wanted to learn how to skate and the only skateboard I have is a Dragonball Z skateboard from KMart I got when I was a lot younger. My birthday's coming up and I want to get a real skateboard, but I'm completely lost. Can someone help me figure how what skateboard is good for a beginner? Oh and I'm not sure whether I will be doing street skating or skating halfpipes and such. So something fairly versatile would be cool too. Thanks

get the cheapest of all

such as blank deck , relik truck and blank wheel
If I were you I would just get a decent setup right off the bat. Spending $100 on a proper setup rather than $50-60 on a POS is well worth the investment if you really want to give it a go.

I would suggest a blank deck such as a Powell mini-logo. or a CCS blank.

Skating is tough to learn and very frustrating, but if you stick with it its a great thing to do and I really regret quitting now

I loved my setup:
-Any deck, usually baker, that was about 7.75wide (size 13 shoes need big decks )
-Grind King trucks
-Ricta wheels
-Girl Gold bearings
-Black Magic griptape.
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
Last edited by ShredtoBed at Jul 11, 2008,
Get a cheap deck, cheap trucks, and good wheels.
Believe me, the wheels are very important.
80+ bucks ones will be good. I love "Elements".
EDIT: 1st try with the original cheap wheels to see if you like it.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by ShredtoBed
If I were you I would just get a decent setup right off the bat. Spending $100 on a proper setup rather than $50-60 on a POS is well worth the investment if you really want to give it a go.

I would suggest a blank deck such as a Powell mini-logo. or a CCS blank.

Skating is tough to learn and very frustrating, but if you stick with it its a great thing to do and I really regret quitting now

I loved my setup:
-Any deck, usually baker, that was about 7.75wide (size 13 shoes need big decks )
-Grind King trucks
-Ricta wheels
-Girl Gold bearings
-Black Magic griptape.

Haha same here, anything smaller and it felt like tryin to skate with a 2x4 (balance wise)
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think you're the only person on the planet who is worried about how mainstream muffins are.