just studying a bit on modes and i am wondering when and why i would use them?
would i use the ionian mode to make a happy sounding solo, then swap midway to aeolian to turn the solo sad?

im not sure how i would implement these modes into my improvisation.

any help would be appreciated, thanks
Quote by bluesrulz
would i use the ionian mode to make a happy sounding solo, then swap midway to aeolian to turn the solo sad?

Not really, you can sound sad playing in Ionian and happy in Aeolian if you wish. That's more to do with your phrasing.

I think the reason many people use modes is to escape some of the conventions of key based music. Playing modally doesn't allow people many harmonic options. Progressions will tend to want to resolve to Major or Minor if they are too complex. So mostly I think modes are mostly used for different melodic ideas. But that's just my thoughts on it, there's a ton of different ways to view modes and loads of different ways to apply them.
Think of them as scales that happen to be related. They are their own individual scales that happen to be created by playing a scale on a different note, creating different intervals.

Let's say you're soloing over a G7 chord. Since it's a G7 chord you want to use a scale with G because that's where everything will resolve. Let's say you want to use on of the modes you learned. Well G7 has the notes: G B D F and the intervals 1, 3, 5, b7. If you think of what mode has those, you'll end up with G Mixolydian (GABCDEF, 123456b7). So, playing G mixolydian over a G7 chord works out fine.

That's one of a billion ways to use modes.

You can also write songs based on modes just like you can with major/minor keys. That is a little hard to explain though so I won't go in to it but it is an example of how modes DO have value.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by bluesrulz
just studying a bit on modes and i am wondering when and why i would use them?

im not sure how i would implement these modes into my improvisation.

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Well, the when is a bit complicated, and I would strongly suggest working with the Major and minor scales before delving into modes.

The why is simple. Every scale or mode has its own unique sound. The reason to use a particular scale is for the purpose of utilizing its color.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by -=Croatoan=-
For me, the modes help map out the fretboard so I have more notes to play and am less likely to repeat myself.

exactly. listen to yngwie malmsteen's 'little savage' intro for instance.
he's playing the same intervals, only on different modes. so it sounds the same, but it doesn't sound the same. if know what i mean lol. just take a look at that song's tab and listen to it.
Think of the modes as Major and Minor, but less popular. They're just different scales with different emotions. Once you understand modal harmony, you can even think of them as keys. But if you don't know Major and Minor fluently, don't go into modes, they'll just complicate your life, they're pretty tricky. I had to read the modes lesson like 20 times to get it.
Quote by RCalisto
exactly. listen to yngwie malmsteen's 'little savage' intro for instance.
he's playing the same intervals, only on different modes. so it sounds the same, but it doesn't sound the same. if know what i mean lol. just take a look at that song's tab and listen to it.

I've just listened to that, and it's all in different Phrygian modes where I listened up to(except maybe those fills). I don't think that's the point that -=Croatoan=- was trying to make, which sounded like he thinks as modes as positions which is incorrect.
Quote by Eirien
I've just listened to that, and it's all in different Phrygian modes where I listened up to(except maybe those fills). I don't think that's the point that -=Croatoan=- was trying to make, which sounded like he thinks as modes as positions which is incorrect.

not completely. if he still follows the right patterns it's not wrong.
Quote by -=Croatoan=-
For me, the modes help map out the fretboard so I have more notes to play and am less likely to repeat myself.

No, it doesn't work that way. The mode is determined by the harmonic context. You cannot switch modes just by switching positions.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No, it doesn't work that way. The mode is determined by the harmonic context. You cannot switch modes just by switching positions.

I think that what he means is that they allow him to extend the range of a major or minor scale simply by giving him more positions on the fretboard. I use modes In this way also.
Quote by michal23
I think that what he means is that they allow him to extend the range of a major or minor scale simply by giving him more positions on the fretboard. I use modes In this way also.

But that's not playing modally, that's using different positions of the major and minor scales.
Quote by michal23

Then why bring up modes at all? They have nothing to do with being able to play all over the fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Then why bring up modes at all? They have nothing to do with being able to play all over the fretboard.

No idea, just thought I'd clarify
Quote by michal23

I think you're a little confused. What you're actually doing is utilizing other scale positions, not modes.

Modes aren't just a guitar thing, its a music thing. Na mean? haha
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well, the when is a bit complicated, and I would strongly suggest working with the Major and minor scales before delving into modes.

The why is simple. Every scale or mode has its own unique sound. The reason to use a particular scale is for the purpose of utilizing its color.

This.
Quote by ouchies
I think you're a little confused. What you're actually doing is utilizing other scale positions, not modes.

Modes aren't just a guitar thing, its a music thing. Na mean? haha

I understand that I was just trying to say exactly that:

That the guy is using the scale patterns of modes as more positions for the major and minor scale i.e. playing the mixolydian pattern at the 10th fret would still be playing in G major.
Quote by michal23
I understand that I was just trying to say exactly that:

That the guy is using the scale patterns of modes as more positions for the major and minor scale i.e. playing the mixolydian pattern at the 10th fret would still be playing in G major.

Calling it the mixolydian pattern is ridiculous. Each of those seven patterns can be any one of seven modes depending on the harmonic context.
Quote by mdc
bangoodcharlote? Hellooo?

Not needed. The question has been answered ad nauseam.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Not needed. The question has been answered ad nauseam.

I agree, but she does know everything lol