I heard SRV and John Mayer (biggest SRV wannabe ever ) use this technique a lot in their solos for slow blues songs. You can hear it at 1:39 - 1:46, does anyone know what this technique is exactly and what riff he is playing?

EDIT: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3uZ3PkxzRX0

it might help to post the video, sorry
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by gnomieowns
1:39-1:46 in what song?!

you know... that song...
The Conservative youth of America!
I know a guy who achieves that sound by finger picking a chord, sweeping down with one index finger and then using a rapid plucking technique to move back up.
Not the same, but it sounds similar.
"Take chances. Do not go through life wishing, instead go through life remembering. There are too many possibilities out there to let them just pass you by. Above all else, have FUN. You only live once, enjoy it while you can."
stevie=god of blues/rock
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
I heard SRV and John Mayer (biggest SRV wannabe ever ) use this technique a lot in their solos for slow blues songs. You can hear it at 1:39 - 1:46, does anyone know what this technique is exactly and what riff he is playing?

EDIT: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3uZ3PkxzRX0

it might help to post the video, sorry

its basically sweeping a few notes from the pentatonic scale. look up the tin pan alley tabs and it has that lick in there. but stevie repeats it more in live versions. im pretty sure its just keeping your index on the string and moving the ring finger when sweeping.
Not really sweeping in the traditional sense, it's more lazily raking the pick across the strings.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by Jimi-is-god
Besides Hendrix, who is???

Albert King, BB King, The entirety of Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy...i could go on? But i certainly would call SRV the incarnation of those people....probably a "god" right up with them