Just got a Jackson SL3 Soloist for my birthday, about a month ago and I'm... liking it. Not loving it. Now that the novelty's worn off, I've been playing my LP more... and more. The main selling point for me was the OFR, but I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. I'm starting to question whether it's worth the inflexibility tuning- wise and the amount of trouble it takes to restring and get set up.

Not only that, but I'm not really digging the tone, either. I like the brightness I get from the combination of an Alder body and the JB in the bridge, but it just seems way too thin and boring compared to my LP. I've tried fixing it with the EQ, but adding more mids makes my amp start to fart, and dialing back the treble makes it sound even more lifeless.

So... I've been looking at the Ibanez VBT700. Fixed bridge, neck- thru, high- output pickups, nice thin neck, and a Mahogany body. And it looks tEh br00tlz. Seems much better, right? I could probably sell my SL3 for what they cost used, as well.

Sound like a good idea, EG? Any solutions that don't involve buying new guitars? Anyone had a similar problem?
If it's a month old, you could probably sell it for 80% of it's list price. Of course, not back to the store, but get a decent amount back.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Stick with the Jackson. Although I prefer Ibanez to Jackson any day, they're still good guitars. Try messing around with your tone a bit to find something you like, a new guitar isn't neccessarily going to great with the settings for your other guitars.
Quote by Colgate Total
If it's a month old, you could probably sell it for 80% of it's list price. Of course, not back to the store, but get a decent amount back.

Forgot to clarify, bought it off eBay for $485. Which is part of the reason I'm hesitant to get rid of it... I got a pretty sick deal.
it takes me a while to fall in love with some guitars. I hated my strat for about 6 months, and I never played it, then I picked it up and discovered new stuff. Wait it out.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i was in this same exact situation when i got my ibanez rg350ex but i guess i just got used to it. i still hate the floyd rose but i took the lockers off of it and set the bridge up to compensate for alternate tunings and its a lot better now. i think u should stick with the jackson tho.
No guitar is going to sound the same with your setup. Mess with your settings as said above and see if you can get anything you like. That does sound like a pretty nice deal, so I'd just give it a shot and see what you can do with it.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Forgot to clarify, bought it off eBay for $485. Which is part of the reason I'm hesitant to get rid of it... I got a pretty sick deal.
then sell it for more and make a profit
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Change the pickups. Try a Duncan Custom SH-5, it has a thicker tone then the JB. As for the Floyd I wasn't much of a Floyd user but I love it now. Yes, it does take a while to re-string but if you use the same gauge strings and same tuning you won't have to adjust anything (claws, action, inotation, etc. etc.) Once the strings stretch out it doesn't move.

How to re-string a FR guitar steps:

1. Get a stack of business cards and put it under the Floyd so that the Floyd is even with the body.

2. Change the strings from the 6th string up. Changing them 1 at a time. Make sure the fine tuners are at the mid point.

3. Once all the strings are changed and you tune up remove the buisness cards from under the bridge and yank the bar up and down so the strings stretch.

4. Re-tune and put locks on. Then fine tune from the bridge.

Give it some time and play with the guitar. You'll find a use for it. IMO you're thinking about selling it too fast. Change the pickups get used to changing strings and you'll be loving it. Oh and don't use string gauges heavier than 10-46 or you'll kill the sustain.
Member Of UG's Official Gain Wh0res
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

The thing about buying something used...you should be paying, quite a bit lower than the original price. If you sell it, you will get how much you paid for it if not more.

If you do an auction with the buy it now or best offer people will jump on higher prices as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by jeowy
then sell it for more and make a profit

This makes too much sense... it must be a trap!

Quote by krazymonkeynuts
Give it some time and play with the guitar. You'll find a use for it. IMO you're thinking about selling it too fast. Change the pickups get used to changing strings and you'll be loving it. Oh and don't use string gauges heavier than 10-46 or you'll kill the sustain.

Never heard that before... what's the logic there? I'm using 11's.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

Agreed. I use 11's on my strat and it almost has as much sustain as my PRS.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
sounds to me like now you have two guitars for two diff. aplications. i have two jacksons and both of them are fairly "nasal" if you will, even w/ buckers at the bridge. the kelly has a poplar body and the dinky is basswood. but now you have your lp for good low end grind and punch, and now you have a more single coil like sound from the soloist, but its your axe and you have to be happy w/ it to enjoy it.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
if youre really not happy with it then sell it for the same price...otherwise like the mig said you may like having two guitars with two different sounds...i have a tele and an lp, and there are times playin both that im like this sound doesnt work, so i switch to the other
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
This makes too much sense... it must be a trap!

floyd rose equipped guitars dont allow the strings to resonate in the body or headstock, the two most important parts in a guitars resonation next to the strings themselves because they lock the strings down from the bridge to the nut.
this means that what little sustain you get, you must grasp onto with your dear life, and 11's are too heavy to allow that little sprout of sustain to breath.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.