Hey all. I've been playing just over a year now and I don't know much theory so I'm looking into getting a 'beginners bible to theory,' so to speak. I want to learn a lot of information relating to major and minor scales (as well as some others, such as pentatonic), modes, how to form chords, intervals etc etc, generally just a good book for beginning learning theory. I want it to be well written and understandable and something that I can learn a lot from and then refer to as I progress. Can anyone recommend any beginning guide to guitar theory, the names of books or authors? I was just wondering because I'm sure that in the past some of you were in the same boat and know a great book to beginning theory on guitar by a particular author or whatever. I recently rented 'The Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory' or something like that from my local library and it was pretty good, so if noone has any other suggestions maybe I'll buy that. I'm not sure yet.

Thank you for your time
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
there is an excellent podcast for guitar theory by desi serna. its very thorough and its free.
I got this for Christmas, thought it was fairly edifying.

http://www.amazon.com/Totally-Interactive-Guitar-Bible-Hunter/dp/1592236731/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215799391&sr=1-1

Comes with a book that talks about the history of the major guitar companies (Curiously, schecter is missing.), as well as a big book of lessons covering blues, rock, metal, etc. Some of it's lessons are formed around the most influential players of rock...Hendrix, Townsend, Santana. It teaches you with tablature, as well as standard musical notation, and let's you know exactly what you're playing.

I found it a bit useful.
I also have the "Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory". So far it seems very helpful, even though I already know most of the stuff I've read in it so far. It covers everything you need to know in an easy to understand way.
Quote by Jordan987
I also have the "Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory". So far it seems very helpful, even though I already know most of the stuff I've read in it so far. It covers everything you need to know in an easy to understand way.

Sometimes reading what you know in someone else's words helps you really understand it.

Kinda like when you use a word...someone asks you what it means, then you're like..."I don't know how to explain it". You check out a dictionary, and then you really know what you're doing.

Same thing here.
the complete idiots guide to music theory is great. it gets exoplains all of the basics, meaning the staff, intervals modes, scales, and it even tells you tricks for composing your own songs.
Quote by solrac94
the complete idiots guide to music theory is great. it gets exoplains all of the basics, meaning the staff, intervals modes, scales, and it even tells you tricks for composing your own songs.

Okay, maybe I'll just buy that book then if noone has any other suggestions on books about basic music theory/learning theory?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
If you can learn sheet music: Mark Levine's Jazz Theory. Doesn't just apply to jazz, but to all genres (even though most examples of prior illustrated stuff is jazz/blues based).

If you can't read sheet.. William Leavitt: A Modern Method for Guitar. After that, try Mark Levine's book again
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
If you can learn sheet music: Mark Levine's Jazz Theory. Doesn't just apply to jazz, but to all genres (even though most examples of prior illustrated stuff is jazz/blues based).

If you can't read sheet.. William Leavitt: A Modern Method for Guitar. After that, try Mark Levine's book again

I can't read sheet

Ookay, so William Leavitt: A Modern Method for Guitar is a good beginners guide to learning theory?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Oh, I wasn't clear there. William Leavitts book is for learning how to read sheet. Sorry about the confusion.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Go through the UG lessons and find ones you like and print them of and staple them together. Done. I no that sounds retarded but i have used UG lessons and they have helped me greatly mainly wih scales and i also recommend just learning as many songs as possible in different genres to help teach yourself. Very helpfull in learning about structures of songs and also on improvising.
Quote by Jordan987

I ordered this yesterday because of the good reviews. I think it's the best book out there for beginners.
Reading sheet would be a great help in the long run so get on it mate!

If you can read sheet, even though it's not extremely fluently, you'll be able to start writing down your music for other instruments that you might play with that aren't guitar oriented. That way your ability to communicate them increases a lot!
Quote by YA89
I ordered this yesterday because of the good reviews. I think it's the best book out there for beginners.

Yeah, I think I'll get that

Quote by confusious
Reading sheet would be a great help in the long run so get on it mate!

If you can read sheet, even though it's not extremely fluently, you'll be able to start writing down your music for other instruments that you might play with that aren't guitar oriented. That way your ability to communicate them increases a lot!

Yeah, that'd be great for the long run, but I wanna get down some basics first. Thanks for the feedback
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.