So I am planning on buying a new head to go along with my mesa recto 4x12 to replace my Valveking head. I play a variety of music, but mostly centered around metal. Bands such as Metallica, Maiden, LoG, Ozzy, Megadeth, Pantera and Trivium would be my main tone interest. However, I also like to be able to hit some more or less BLS, Opeth, GnR and Hendrix tones. So basically I would like an amp that has hi-gain but will also be versitile enough to "decently" cover some other stuff. So far the amps that have caught my eye (or ears:P) are the Mesa rectifier (most likely sigle or dual), Peavey 6505+, and the Peavey JSX. I am looking for other opinions, feel free to suggest other amps around similar price range. Thanks.
Jackson DK2M

Mesa Single Rectifier Half Stack

Boss GT-8

Line 6 Uber Metal

Dunlop 535Q Crybaby

Peavey Rage 158
WOW if you can afford the rectifier go for it!!!! if not 6505+ is also a great amp paired with a recto cab. JSX i hear is less crunchy and is brighter, but im not sure
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
A lot of those could be dealt justice by a JCM-800 with some kind of pedal in front of it. I personally prefer Marshall tone to Mesa. But Mesa amps are DAMN good. Get one if you can/
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The only one I haven't played was the JSX, but I've heard ALOT of stuff about it. The 6505+ seams to be centered around metal. Stuff like Trivium, and can be used for stuff like Megadeth and Metallica. The Single/Dual Rec (I've played both) seam to be to deep for the Ozzy/Hendrix thing you're looking for, but will probably do well with the BLS and LOG sound. What I know of the JSX, it's able to do quite a few different styles. I've heard metal clips of it that sounded pretty good, and if I remember correctly, you can get a nice smooth, clean distorted tone like Hendrix, GnR ect.

I know this post is like 'all around', but it's just my opinions on the amps. If you can get to a shop that carries these, that'd be much better. This way you know what you're getting.
I'd add the Mesa Mark IV to that list, as well. It'd nail the Opeth, GnR, Hendrix tones better than anything you've got up there but can still nail teh br00talz, it's actually what LOG use.

If you don't need a lot of tweakability, an ENGL Fireball would be a nice option as well.
Are you more of a lead player or a Rhythm?

The JSX is going to suit you nice for Leads but the 6505 better for chugga. The recto is a nice choice as well just rememeber you have to crank those a bit to get them to sound nice and tighten things up a bit a od pedal is gonna be used for both the 6505 and mesa.
ENGL Fireball will give you better balls to wall metal tones than most amps, but if you need the versatility you might be able to find a good price on an ENGL Powerball. Its got a little less gain than the Fireball, but its got a lot of versatility too.
Last edited by Pyrofretnic at Jul 11, 2008,
thanks for all the quick replies. I know that the mesa and 6505+ are great for metal, but what's the gain like on the JSX, would I be able to nail some hi-gain stuff with it?
Jackson DK2M

Boss GT-8

Line 6 Uber Metal

Dunlop 535Q Crybaby

Peavey Rage 158
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I'd add the Mesa Mark IV to that list, as well. It'd nail the Opeth, GnR, Hendrix tones better than anything you've got up there but can still nail teh br00talz, it's actually what LOG use.

+1

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by sensfan99
thanks for all the quick replies. I know that the mesa and 6505+ are great for metal, but what's the gain like on the JSX, would I be able to nail some hi-gain stuff with it?

It has plenty of gain on tap its just voiced with a shredder in mind. I have chugged on a few of them for a while and have no complaints about them. And will be alot more versatile.

Also the powerball is a great option and i prefer it over all three amps. Gain is insanely nice, can do lead or rhythm work and cleans are really nice..
To cover some Opeth you need good cleans as well. Remember that.....

So the 6505+, in my opinion, does not have great cleans.

Try out the dual rec. A lot of people I know swear by th JSX....try that out too.

^^
AND HELL YEA TRY OUT A POWERBALL. THOSE ARE ****ING AMAZING
The JSX Ultra channel has a good amount of gain on it, but the voicing isn't as good for the kind of sound your going for.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
The JSX Ultra channel has a good amount of gain on it, but it wouldn't be as good for the kind of sound your going for.

Agreed... it's far too polished and sparkly. Great if you're Satch, not so good if you're playing metalcore.
I'm from Canada so new rectos go for sometinh around $2000, used they can be found fro around $1300. However, in August my family is going to Syracuse for 2 days, are there any stores in that region that would sell mesas or even ENGLs and how much do they go for in the States?
Jackson DK2M

Boss GT-8

Line 6 Uber Metal

Dunlop 535Q Crybaby

Peavey Rage 158
Quote by sensfan99
I'm from Canada so new rectos go for sometinh around $2000, used they can be found fro around $1300. However, in August my family is going to Syracuse for 2 days, are there any stores in that region that would sell mesas or even ENGLs and how much do they go for in the States?

See sig for Mesa pricing.

I say if you're going to buy a Recto, but a used 2 channel Dual or Triple Recto. These can usually be found cheaper than the newer 3 channel ones (for some VERY odd reason) and sound much better.

If you're buying used, I'd say take a look at Harmony-Central's gear ads on the forum. They have a lot of great deals that pop up there all the time on Mesa equipment, a few days ago there was a Single Recto selling for $750, Engls are a little more rarer to find though.

I'm sure most of those guys would be more than willing to ship it to Canada for you if you pay for the shipping
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 11, 2008,
Do guitar centers carry mesas or ENGLs?
Jackson DK2M

Boss GT-8

Line 6 Uber Metal

Dunlop 535Q Crybaby

Peavey Rage 158
Guitar Center can order Engl, but I'm not sure if any have them in-store.

And it depends what Guitar Center for Mesa stuff, not all of them have them. You should check on their website to see if the ones close to where you're going carry them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
bump
Jackson DK2M

Boss GT-8

Line 6 Uber Metal

Dunlop 535Q Crybaby

Peavey Rage 158
I'd say a Recto.. better yet if you can throw some extra cash at it and get a Mesa Boogie Road king..

Basically, it has the clean channel of a Lone Star and a dist channel of a recto. Unlike a recto, it also gets a pleasant lower gain tone for the GNR stuff, and has a few 'crunch' options for the much lower gain stuff like Hendrix, albeit, no high gain amp will take you into exactly Hendrix territory, but your main interests are metal so it's good.