I was jamming with some friends yesterday, soloing with the neck pickup on my Epi Les Paul Sandard. Then, I switched to my bridge pickup and instead of a crunchy blast of sound I get a very quiet sound that cut on and off. I checked; the volume was on 10. At first I thought my cable went out but I tired a different cable and a different amp and got the same results. The bridge pickup wasn't sending a signal for some reason, but the bridge pickup worked fine.

So anyway, I turned the tone knob a bit to see what might happen and immediately a blast of sound comes out. I turned it back up to 10 and the sound dies again. I messed around with it a little bit and the sound randomly cuts on and off when I turn the tone knob. It's not even a set spot; sometimes it works on 10 or 7 or 5 (tone setting), sometimes it doesn't. The sound doesn't cut on and off, it just works sometimes in some paces and doesn't work sometimes in other places.

Should I take it to a shop or is it an easy fix (maybe a loose wire I need to solder?)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Probably the pot failing, it's cheap enough to get it replaced or you would be able to do it yourself.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
The pots used in epi guitars are of course the cheapest available. Not at all uncommon for the pots or selector switch to go out and the jacks come loose if they were tight out of the box. Not a bad idea to do all the pots at once they arent that expensive for the good ones off the net. And you can put the audio pots in for volume and linear for tone and get much better control response.
Quote by Tackleberry
The pots used in epi guitars are of course the cheapest available. Not at all uncommon for the pots or selector switch to go out and the jacks come loose if they were tight out of the box. Not a bad idea to do all the pots at once they arent that expensive for the good ones off the net. And you can put the audio pots in for volume and linear for tone and get much better control response.

My Jack came lose the first day i got my guitar.
Thanks for the advice about replacing the pots; they have almost no control. I can turn the tone knob from 10 down to 5 with NO results, then between 5 and 3 the tone changes suddenly, 3-1 does nothing. I want a wide, even, constant-control tone pot.

As for the jack, what can I do now to prevent it from coming loose later? Should I tighten the nut on the jack firmly to prevent it from loosening in the future or are you not supposed to tighten them that much?
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
really? hmmm my epi had NO problems at all for the 3 years i owned it...
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
^^^ then you got lucky. Some locktite, nail polish something like that on the threads of the jack will help keep it tight.
Quote by minixmin
really? hmmm my epi had NO problems at all for the 3 years i owned it...

I haven't had any problems either until now...

Anyways, I got it fixed. I noticed that the pot wasn't tightnened all the way from the factory, and that the whole thing turned when I turned it to 10, pulling a wire and causing it to stop feeding. I turned it to 0 and tightened ithe nut underneath the tone pot knob with a thin wrench (I think I used a 10mm or a 12mm). Now the tone pot stays in place when turned and I have no problems with the wire.

Also, one of my tuners wasn't tightened right when I first got it, making the washer for the tuner vibrate when I played the string. Now I'm hearing this about the cable jack tending to come loose.

Any Epiphone players out there, get your guitar and check all the nuts and screws to make sure they're tight. CHeck the nut under the knobs to all of your pots (if your pots turn a little when you turn the knob, they need tightening). Check your tuners and jack as well, and any other nuts screws on the guitar.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by Ippon
^ Nice! All's well that ends well.

Sure is!

Thanks for the help everyone!

And don't forget to tighten them screws !
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401